Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Small Child  (Read 10863 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Small Child
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2022, 06:02:40 pm »

Find something nearby, are there any sticks you can use to parry their attacks? Maybe a flat metal or stone thing that can be used as a shield?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2022, 06:07:14 pm »

To be fair we're in a small town and nobody can really move, so I probably will know these people the rest of my life. Unless I do end up traveling.

I'm not really sure how to gauge the attractiveness of small children (despite the rumors), but I think I've found the people you're talking about. But I'm not really sure I'm in a position to make friends without beating them up....

Specifically five other kids are forming a semi-circle around me wielding sticks. Whenever I try to explain myself and apologize they shout something about "justice" so they're probably the most anime kids at school. It looks like the teachers are deliberately looking the other way. Maybe out of their own sense of justice. Maybe this is just how kids play here.

In any case it looks like I'm about to take great in their stick fighting hobby (if I like it or not).

What should I do?
Win. Take their sticks away from them using your superior reflexes, using them to block the sticks you haven't taken yet until you have all the sticks. Laugh in a natural and not creepy way as if you assume it is all in great fun. Then use the sticks to trip them all up or knock them to the ground, but end by being merciful and helping them up with a grin, and thank them for the game. Hopefully they will be so embarrassed that you thought they were just playing that they'll go along with it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2022, 06:46:18 pm »

Find something nearby, are there any sticks you can use to parry their attacks? Maybe a flat metal or stone thing that can be used as a shield?

Ah right. We're on the playground at recess. Should have mentioned that.

There isn't much metal in the colony but there are sticks everywhere. I can probably find one of any size. There are rocks, including some big rocks I can hide behind, but they arn't particularly shield-like. There is also something that is roughly half way between an acorn and a pine cone that is randomly throughout the battlefield. With the trees that give everyone their sticks, obviously.

As we're primarily at a church, there isn't really any playground equipment to climb on. Also the magic-fertility here is deliberately low as I mentioned before so we probably won't kill each other accidentally.

Win. Take their sticks away from them using your superior reflexes, using them to block the sticks you haven't taken yet until you have all the sticks. Laugh in a natural and not creepy way as if you assume it is all in great fun. Then use the sticks to trip them all up or knock them to the ground, but end by being merciful and helping them up with a grin, and thank them for the game. Hopefully they will be so embarrassed that you thought they were just playing that they'll go along with it.

First hot-headed youth breaks formation charging at me with his stick. I easily grab on to his weapon and disarm him, sending him tumbling to the ground with a trip as I do so.

The next three kids come at me at once. I grab on to a girl's stick to disarm her, but she apparently has great pattern recognition skills and hugs the stick with all her might so I can't remove it. While my arm is stuck the other two take the opening to get a couple of hits in. I end up grabbing her stick with both my hands and use it to send her crashing into the other two, sending all three to the ground.

I laugh in a not-at-all creepy not-at-all evil way as I gather up all the fallen sticks.

...And I'm on the ground. I feel like I just slipped on ice. There 100% isn't any ice on the playground. Or slippery mud. Or really anything to slip on.

I think the last standing girl just used magic on me. That has to be cheating, right?

How can I beat this cheating cheater so I can show them all how merciful I am?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2022, 07:16:06 pm »

I think the last standing girl just used magic on me. That has to be cheating, right?

Nah, fair's fair, the aim of the game was to be the last man standing and she won. Laugh, drop the sticks, get up, tell her good game and that you really thought you had her while you go around helping the other kids up, then go to shake her hand. Remember, the point is to make them feel bad about attacking you.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2022, 12:50:23 am »

Nah, fair's fair, the aim of the game was to be the last man standing and she won. Laugh, drop the sticks, get up, tell her good game and that you really thought you had her while you go around helping the other kids up, then go to shake her hand. Remember, the point is to make them feel bad about attacking you.

What is this?!  Giving him good advice?… C’mon!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2022, 01:59:53 am »

Use our own magic and blow her head up!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2022, 09:27:00 am »

First off, we don’t know if we have magic, second off, we oroabably don’t want to murder anyone, we’d be exiled or killed, which would be bad

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2022, 05:34:17 pm »

still do this, but in a less lethal way.  like maybe use chains made out of air to hang her from the roof.  if that fails, smack her with your sticks.  then grill the teachers about what they were doing and why they look away. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2022, 06:04:59 pm »

If you're going to say no to one thing at last make a different suggestion! Now I'm stuck in limbo waiting for something to do.

First off, we don’t know if we have magic, second off, we oroabably don’t want to murder anyone, we’d be exiled or killed, which would be bad

still do this, but in a less lethal way.  like maybe use chains made out of air to hang her from the roof.  if that fails, smack her with your sticks.  then grill the teachers about what they were doing and why they look away. 

Something I can do. Like I said we still haven't gotten to the magic lessons yet.

Which is why it is weird that she gets magic.

She probably cheated to get it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2022, 06:11:31 pm »

If you're going to say no to one thing at last make a different suggestion! Now I'm stuck in limbo waiting for something to do.
I say no to him saying no! Do what I said! Then you will level up and learn magic, probably.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2022, 12:53:26 am »

Just throw the sticks at her face!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2022, 02:07:07 am »

I was replying to Maximum Spin, actually…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2022, 07:48:19 am »

I was replying to Maximum Spin, actually…

If you arn't actually opposing it then I guess I'm going with it!

Lacking any magic of my own to fight back in any lethal or nonlethal way, I surrender to the small children who have defeated me. I manage to swallow (or more like throw away entirely) whatever pride I had and laugh while helping the other children to their feet and shaking their hands. They seem entirely satisfied with this victory. They scatter to their usual playtime activities.

....I think they felt pretty good about attacking me in the end though.

Days later, we finally finish with safety and start our first actual magic class.

Fundamentally magic requires a deep understanding of what you're actually trying to do. This is why magic takes a lifetime of work to get good at. For basic things pattern recognition works well, but if you want to do anything complex it looks like you need something approaching a scientific understanding of how it would actually work. Most people in the colony focus on one subject, usually one passed down from their family since the Church's knowledge is limited and its library is small. Back in the Kingdoms the nobles are expected to know multiple subjects deeply to give them a greater range of magical power.

This was all explained to me like I was six, so it took a lot of additional questions to get. I consider my pestering petty vengeance for letting me get sticked earlier.

As we are small children, our first magics all rely on the pattern recognition method. The teachers brought in some flint and steel. They taught us as a class how to strike it, then have each of us strike it one hundred times while watching the sparks. After that they take the steel away and have us try to make sparks without it. We keep the flint and make the same motions. Only one kid got it right the first time (the cheater from earlier), everyone else had to do at least one more set of 100 with the flint and steel before getting sparks. I got it on my second set.

This is apparently a useful survival skill here due to the low supply of metal, though the adults all do it without needing the flint or making the spark motions. The other lessons all follow the same general theme. We are given a primitive charcoal water filter to hold and watch water flow through it until we can purify water by pouring it through our empty hands. We watch our legs run until we can spend magic to run instead of stamina. We get monster part scraps for magical arts and crafts. Some kids have a natural talent for it, others are still struggling with the sparks while the rest of the class moves on.

I'm in the upper end of the class due to not actually being a small child. Somehow I'm in second place behind the cheater, but I'll take my victories where I can.

Actually casting the magic is much easier than I expected. Once you understand what you need to do it is as simple as walking or breathing. You are mostly limited to your understanding and magic storage.

Now that I actually know some magic, what should I try to do with it?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2022, 08:23:44 am »

Learn as many useful magic tricks as you can think of. Watch fires, watch water freeze, watch lightning strike, watch plants grow. Try to imitate every force of nature!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2022, 10:49:35 am »

Is it possible that the “cheater” also came form another world?
Learn as many useful magic tricks as you can think of. Watch fires, watch water freeze, watch lightning strike, watch plants grow. Try to imitate every force of nature!
+1 to this
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12