Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Small Child  (Read 10805 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Small Child
« on: March 12, 2022, 07:50:40 pm »

Hello. I'm dead. Or rather WAS dead. Not sure if who I used to be was important...long story short I got stabbed by a hobo in the woods and quickly bleed out.

Now I'm not dead. Or maybe I'm just in hell. Being a baby kinda sucks. I'm fully conscious but my limbs won't respond to my commands. I can hear just fine. Everything is too blurry to see. Not sure if that is just part of being a baby in this world of if I was just born blind. I'm not even sure if I'm human at this point.

"Mom" and "Dad" talk to me a lot. I'm not sure if they're human either but I'm trying to pick up the language enough to understand what is going on. Most of it is baby talk and singing, but they bring me into church once a week equivalent and I can hear conversations with everyone in the town. Otherwise I'm usually in a crib at home.

We're in a colony known as Taleno. At least as far as I can tell. The people here broke away from the kingdoms back west due to political and religious persecution. That much is easy enough to tell- whoever runs the church is incredibly repetitive. Which is good for learning but also dreadfully dull. The people here believe that the Creator's power should be spread through everyone, which I'm pretty sure is actual magic and not a metaphor. It is kinda hard to tell when you're getting information from a sermon. Anyway this requires an education that the church provides daily to the kids of the colony. The kids actually old enough to learn. Back west, the kingdoms suppress the peasant's education and only the nobility is allowed to learn magic. That is why they formed a colony away from the kingdom.

The downside is the lands outside the kingdom are filled with monsters. Also not sure if that is a metaphor. Either way it means we're in a dangerous place. Everyone is expected to fight to keep the town and their families safe. Except the babies. Unless I'm guarding the crib.

I think I have at least one grandpa and grandma who come to visit sometimes. I haven't heard anyone who sounds like a sibling yet so I think I'm the oldest child, but I guess they could just be away somewhere. I'm not sure about the rest of my family. My "parents" might just meet them at church. It is hard to tell titles form names.

Anyway you know how you always get a weird power in Isekais? I hear voices in my head. Your voices! And you can hear my thoughts! Here I am, thinking at you! Here you are, typing at me! With all your otherworld knowledge I'm sure to be an unprecedented genius who'll turn this world upside down!

As soon as I stop being a baby at least. For now I can't do anything no matter what you type at me.

...But like I said it is boring being a baby. So lets talk a bit. What do you guys hope my family is like?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 09:58:44 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Baby
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 09:44:50 pm »

Mom has big tits and Dad is rich?  :P
EDIT: Sorry, that was very sexist of me.  Mom can be rich instead of Dad.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 09:59:30 pm »

"an unprecendented genius" is kind of a stretch when your intelligence is limited to what you knew in your previous life and what a bunch of quasi-anonymous posters on a dwarven hole-digging forum are willing to tell you. At least you'll have a massive head start, just wait about a year until you can start seeing clearly, talk something resembling a spoken language, and walk. I might have to test if we can transmit images into your mind - if it's possible, it'll definitely come in handy assuming the other posters don't spam memes, bad ideas, and other unhelpful images.
it's over

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 11:03:47 pm »

Yes, some good points there by Stretch9197…

Do you have a fork?  Is there an electrical outlet nearby?  Let’s see if we can make Mr. Fork and Ms. Electrical Outlet be friends.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 11:04:09 pm »

Be baby

Rich mom and dad with big tits.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 11:05:41 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 11:32:56 pm »

I hope your family are: smart enough to educate you not to listen to the voices in your head, and to seek treatment instead.

Also, nobody has tits. Tits don't exist on this planet, except as birds.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 02:41:35 am »

Everything on this planet has big tits including the birds.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 12:57:32 pm »

"an unprecendented genius" is kind of a stretch when your intelligence is limited to what you knew in your previous life and what a bunch of quasi-anonymous posters on a dwarven hole-digging forum are willing to tell you. At least you'll have a massive head start, just wait about a year until you can start seeing clearly, talk something resembling a spoken language, and walk. I might have to test if we can transmit images into your mind - if it's possible, it'll definitely come in handy assuming the other posters don't spam memes, bad ideas, and other unhelpful images.

Fair point! I guess I don't even know this world's technology level yet. I hear hooves when we're moving so I don't think it is that high but I guess we could be the equivalent to Amish or something. Might need to temper my expectations...significantly.

Yes, some good points there by Stretch9197…

Do you have a fork?  Is there an electrical outlet nearby?  Let’s see if we can make Mr. Fork and Ms. Electrical Outlet be friends.

I have neither! Well either might exist. I'm still at the "stuck in a crib and can't see anything" phase of my life.

I hope your family are: smart enough to educate you not to listen to the voices in your head, and to seek treatment instead.

So what you are saying is I should not tell anyone about my super special power. I get it.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 01:07:53 pm »

Scream.  Loudly.  Try, also to form English words.  Try to ascertain whether or not the language your “parents” speak is English.  If you can speak
English, every time you see the face of one of your parents, say: “idiot” or “stupid” Finally, search yourself for latent magical power.  We need to be a wizard
Baby.

Edit:  start trying to exercise control Over your limbs.  Once you have decent control, start performing exercises.  We must get to the autonomous stage as fast as possible.

My job here is to turn us into the creepiest baby possible.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:11:17 pm by BlackPaladin99 »
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 12:40:24 am »

If we are still inside the mom you should eat her innards as that is how babies are born on that planet you find yourself on.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 07:21:34 am »

If we are still inside the mom you should eat her innards as that is how babies are born on that planet you find yourself on.
But we are not inside the mom.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 04:56:19 pm »

Everything on this planet has big tits including the birds.
How about a logical fallacy compromise - half of all people have big tits. Coincidentally, all of those people who are female have tits (the body part), and all of those people who are male happen to have tits (the species of bird) as pets.
Birdkeeping is a popular hobby in this world. There's unfortunately a lot of elitism over pet size, and rumor has it that some island nation has had incidents caused thanks to the ruling party discriminating against people with smaller pet birds.
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 08:51:28 pm »

Scream.  Loudly.  Try, also to form English words.  Try to ascertain whether or not the language your “parents” speak is English.  If you can speak
English, every time you see the face of one of your parents, say: “idiot” or “stupid” Finally, search yourself for latent magical power.  We need to be a wizard
Baby.

Edit:  start trying to exercise control Over your limbs.  Once you have decent control, start performing exercises.  We must get to the autonomous stage as fast as possible.

My job here is to turn us into the creepiest baby possible.

I can scream and cry but it is less creepy baby crying and more normal baby crying. The only thing I'll be disturbing is sleep.

The language my parents are speaking is distinctively not English. Trying to speak in any language just leads to more baby noises. So does magic come to think of it. I can do baby exercise at least. At least until I get tired.

I am fortunate enough to not be inside my "mom" and to have no memory of such a time. Which does mean I have no idea if I ate her innards or not, but if I did she recovered remarkably quickly.

Be baby

Rich mom and dad with big tits.

Mom has big tits and Dad is rich?  :P
EDIT: Sorry, that was very sexist of me.  Mom can be rich instead of Dad.

Years have passed by from my perspective. I can finally see and have more-or-less grasped the language as a toddler.

As it turns out, my parents are indeed the richest people in the colony! Most of the people here came from poor backgrounds hoping for a better life outside the kingdoms. My parents are unique in that they where nobility back in the kingdom, and managed to take some of their wealth out to the colony with them. And their phenomenal magic powers. That has certainly been useful. As their only child the entire colony has high hopes for me.

I've been living in their manor house. My family has an estate that feels like a fortress. It is a large plantation with a wooden palisade surrounding it, reinforced with mud and monster parts. We have some fields and cattle, with a few workers who do most of the farm chores. They all live in the house with us in their own rooms. There is some fancy designs in the manor but everything else is rather spartan and simple.

Oh right, the "Cattle" is a type of giant goat. They use them to pull carts, for milk, and for meat. Their pupils are rectangles. They kind of scare me despite the fact I'm technically a grown man. One bleated at me and I cried. I blame this toddler body.

Technology level is...I think medieval for most things. It is kinda hard to tell. Trade is very difficult due to all the monsters roaming the land so most things are made locally. Apparently there are noble houses back in the kingdoms that do nothing but move goods between the various nations, but even then there isn't much trade going on. Out here on the frontier it is really really rare for traders to come around. They don't have a lot of metal as a result. Most things we'd make with metal (like weapons and tools) are instead made with monster parts. A lot of things are made with monster parts actually. They're just kind of everywhere. I'm wearing a monster part outfit right now. Most people end up bartering, but money from the kingdoms is still accepted by some people. They're all made of precious metals so they have value just for their construction.

Oh right, you guys are really into magic. I've been asking about it a lot during my "why phase" and everyone around me has been willing to comply. They say magic is something that comes from the ground. The density of magic in an area changes from place to place. They call it the "fertility" of the area. Magically fertile areas tend to increase the properties of whatever is grown on there. Trees are stronger, medicine is more powerful, flowers smell better, food is more nutritious...that last one is really important because it applies to monsters too.

You see when you eat something, you gain the magic that was inside it. This magic then becomes part of your body. For monsters they seem to have evolved to integrate them into their bodies. A monster in a more fertile area will be stronger, faster, have a tougher hide, and be all around stronger in whatever they're good at then a monster in a less fertile area. As a result the monsters are incredibly territorial and will attack any human or other monsters who try to enter it. This is why everywhere is so dangerous. Monsters can also sense magically fertile areas and will try to encroach if they think they can get away with it. So we have to keep a constant eye out for monster attacks. Luckily this also means their parts are more useful. A good monster pelt can be stronger than steel armor, so I'm told. Since this is cumulative monsters who lived longer also tend to be stronger.

But that doesn't mean non-magically fertile areas are completely useless. Humans came up with a concept that I'll translate to "Alchemy". This basically leaches all the magic out of a material into water, then from that water into another material. This means you can pool a lot of low-magic items into one much bigger magic item. We usually use it with monster parts we can't use and don't want to eat. I'm told that Alchemy is one of the reasons that the Kingdoms centralize power in the nobility, a significant portion of a nation's resources going into a dozen or so artifacts every year makes for some insane power over centuries. My mother's amulet is one such artifact. I'm not allowed to touch it.

Now for the magic magic. Like I said in monsters the magic goes to the body, but in humans (and presumably other thinking creatures) it goes directly into the brain. This lets humans construct spells with traditional magic effects. They...haven't really taught me any of this yet but I get to watch sometimes. Everyone just kinda explains it to me like I'm a toddler (because I am), I think it is one of those things where explaining gravity is easy but actually doing things with it takes a lot of hard work and math. Anyway everyone here uses magic for religious purposes. When a human uses magic it lowers the amount of magic in their bodies, so we tend to not use it for trivial things like normal transportation or farming. Most people do use it for work though. Around here most families tend to have their own magic. One logger I saw cut down a tree by making his body really strong and his axe really sharp, while another cut down a separate tree with an inexplicably sharp gust of wind. I'm not sure if that is a difference in how they where taught or what. There aren't any incantations, but they do occasionally have some hand work. I'm not sure if that is actually necessary or if it is just habit. This is the second reason why magic was centered in the nobility in the Kingdoms, someone with a high-magic diet will be much stronger at casting magic than a peasant with a low-magic diet. So it is there. I just have no idea how to do it.

Otherwise I've gotten to see a little of the world. The town has a wall around it with with guards and the road to the town has a fence. All roads are dirt roads, but my parent's wagon is remarkably smooth riding. You can see the church for miles around. It is a really, really tall building. A priest sits in the top of a bell-tower and rings the bell like crazy if he sees a monster. Or a fire. Or raiders. But mostly for monsters. The number of rings is supposed to tell you where the attack is coming from. I usually get locked up when they start ringing because toddler. Other than the church the town has a few residential houses, some businesses, and other town things. There arn't a lot of people in it. It is purposefully built in a low magic fertility area to keep the monsters from attacking it, but since the surrounding farms and plantations want to have as high magic fertility as they can manage most people live out of town. I don't get to see much of it since I'm either at church or stuck in the wagon.

Last thing I've noticed is that there are other races. Like not-humans. Our colony has had some problems with Elves lately. We had a funeral for a man who was said to be killed by them. Most people are confused by this. This world has very little warfare, due to the distance and logistical difficulties of getting armies to other kingdoms without getting everyone slaughtered by monsters. Most fighting has been internal, or between the merchant nobility I mentioned earlier. Occasionally those merchants would become powerful enough to defeat a kingdom and take one over, but that was incredibly rare from what I picked up. Foreigners going out of there way to cross monster-covered land just to kill you seems like insanity to most people in the colony. There are a couple of non-humans in the colony, but I don't talk to them much outside of church.

And I'm keeping the tits thing a secret from you guys. I'll leave it to your imagination.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Toddler
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 11:15:51 pm »

What happens when a person drinks the magic alchemy water?

How is magic used for religious purposes?

Do farmers do crop rotations? What crops are grown generally?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reborn into the Taleno Colony (Isekai SG): Toddler
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 11:30:19 pm »

keep up baby exercises. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12