Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68571 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1410 on: April 03, 2022, 12:59:27 pm »

In other news, there's reports of Ukranian civilians providing Russian troops with poisoned foodstuffs, killing two and incapacitating hundreds. They needed better poison.

AFAIK, not exactly foodstuff. Methanol disguised as regular vodka.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian soldiers were desperate to get drunk and just drank the methanol straight up (they haven't been the brightest of fellows so far). Once they got sick, they just placed the blame on Ukrainians "poisoning" them. :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 03, 2022, 01:39:38 pm »

In response to the images from the war crimes in Butcha and other sites around Kyiv, the biggest opponent of a gas import ban, Germany, is changing it's stance.
According to the German minister of Defense, Christine Lambrecht, with mass murders of innocent civilians are coming to light, the EU has to reconsider an import ban for Russian gas.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 03, 2022, 05:28:58 pm »

If you calculate the 2019 numbers on the EU's reporting site, Russian energy imports count for 10-12% of the entire EU energy usage (which includes all the EU's energy from their own renewables, nuclear plants, and domestic fuel harvesting). So, it is feasible that all of the EU can ban Russian imports, but Russia was selling it cheap and delivering by pipeline, so the EU will pay extra for both the commodity and the transport costs.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 03, 2022, 06:30:33 pm »

Russia seems determined to make each war crime of theirs somehow worst than all the previous war crimes.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 03, 2022, 06:56:09 pm »

All Russian soldiers can drown in flaming oil. Russian society is rotten to the very core. It's not a few bad eggs. It's a whole lot of eggs that have all been sitting in a sweltering bog for a year.

Russian society knows how to do nothing except robbing, pillaging, and murdering. Russia has never built anything for itself. Everything it has ever had was stolen, exploited, or coerced out of someone else. All of their "leaders" and "great men" since its founding have been debased drunks and evil swine. It is a stain upon the Earth.

Russian soldiers don't only have no basic morals, they are also morons\think that they are immune from any justice.

They are sending their "hard-earned loot" to their families using Belarussian courier services using their real names and disclosing their mailing addresses. Ukrainians will get that data, one way or another.

I hope someone pays them a visit and does a little sodomizing with a bayonet a la Gaddafi, perhaps followed by some action with a metal bat, then a 50-caliber bullet to the face. Just to really make sure no one will be able to recognize them.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 03, 2022, 07:12:38 pm »

Russian fucks have the impudence to call for a UN security council meeting about Ukrainian radicals from Bucha provoking Russia with fabricated accusations of war crimes.
UN security council has not responded yet.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 07:14:37 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 03, 2022, 07:21:09 pm »

They should hold the requested meeting and arrest the Russian delegates on grounds of complicity in genocide.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 03, 2022, 08:15:41 pm »

All Russian soldiers can drown in flaming oil. Russian society is rotten to the very core. It's not a few bad eggs. It's a whole lot of eggs that have all been sitting in a sweltering bog for a year.

Russian society knows how to do nothing except robbing, pillaging, and murdering. Russia has never built anything for itself. Everything it has ever had was stolen, exploited, or coerced out of someone else. All of their "leaders" and "great men" since its founding have been debased drunks and evil swine. It is a stain upon the Earth.

Russian soldiers don't only have no basic morals, they are also morons\think that they are immune from any justice.

They are sending their "hard-earned loot" to their families using Belarussian courier services using their real names and disclosing their mailing addresses. Ukrainians will get that data, one way or another.

I hope someone pays them a visit and does a little sodomizing with a bayonet a la Gaddafi, perhaps followed by some action with a metal bat, then a 50-caliber bullet to the face. Just to really make sure no one will be able to recognize them.

Hey, hey, hey, HEY!... Friend. Don't let this kind of thinking inside. It is self-destructive. All they deserve is cold contempt and disgust. I do believe that Ukraine will hunt those murderers down, sooner or later. Like Israel did. But all they will get is either a prison cell or a bullet from a special operative. We are not them, we don't torture. Even them.

I know these feelings. When yesterday our forces captured yet another Russian pilot, my first thought was "Why is this creature still alive?"

But emotions aside, I am happy that our forces are disciplined and humane enough to not respond with war crimes of our own.

As for their society... It is ill and it is on a path of self-destruction but... I'll quote one of my favorite works of fiction:

They are a lost people! They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 03, 2022, 10:28:13 pm »

What the fuck, don't you think you're taking it too far?
This war is horrible, what Russia is doing is inexcusable, but dehumanising an entire country with 145 million people and thousands of years of history and contributions to science doesn't make sense.

Russian government has always sucked, it's always been authoritarian and the military is an extension of the government, but the people and its culture aren't, maybe one day they will be free, maybe not, maybe the nukes get launched and we find out if the nuclear winter theory is true or not, who knows. People smarter than you and I have failed to predict such things.

But we shouldn't repeat history, remember Germany after the world wars.
Indeed. Saying Russia never accomplished anything useful by itself is flat out a lie. I want the government to burn and for Putin to be slowly electrocuted to death (I'd torture him with a taser if it was up to me) but I like the country's history and culture.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 03, 2022, 10:45:01 pm »

I wrote out a long angry rant then deleted it. I can barely think through my blinding rage to articulate my thoughts properly so I'll just put some quotes I found to represent it.

"Zelenskyy: I invite Mrs. Merkel and Mr. Sarkozy to visit Bucha and see what the policy of concessions to Russia has led to in 14 years. To see with your own eyes the tortured Ukrainians"

"apparently there was a fine print,

"Never again

*unless the heating bill of rich countries increases by 20%, then never mind, let them murder everyone""
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 10:46:54 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 04, 2022, 01:02:05 am »

Indeed. Saying Russia never accomplished anything useful by itself is flat out a lie. I want the government to burn and for Putin to be slowly electrocuted to death (I'd torture him with a taser if it was up to me) but I like the country's history and culture.

Can I ask which part of Russian history do you like? Chechen Wars? Invasion in Afghanistan? The subjugation of Hungary and Czechoslovakia? Conquest of Europe in WW2 which Russia started together with Hitler? (Luckily Hitler, in his hubris, chose to betray Russian allies instead of dividing the world) Terror of 1930s? Bloodbath of  the 1917 revolution? WW1 that wouldn't happen without Russian warmongering. Numerous genocides of 19th century? So called Serfdom (actually, form of slavery)? What exactly makes you proud?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 04, 2022, 01:37:36 am »

Come on guys, time to read your Pushkin… and Dostoevsky…
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 04, 2022, 02:19:07 am »

Over a hundred international politicians have written a letter to the Nobel committee in Norway, requesting to re-open this year's candidacy (which closed january 31th), so they can nominate the people of Ukraine and president Zelenski for the Nobel Peace Prize.

EDIT: meanwhile in the Netherlands, police and healtcare workers are trying to prepare Ukrainian refugees for the air raid sirens that will sound for their monthly test in the Netherlands at noon today, so they don't get spooked by it.
Why we even still have these tests, I don't know. We don't have bomb shelters.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:22:17 am by martinuzz »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 04, 2022, 03:01:26 am »

Russian literature is pretty lit at least.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 04, 2022, 03:07:42 am »

Can I ask which part of Russian history do you like? Chechen Wars? Invasion in Afghanistan? The subjugation of Hungary and Czechoslovakia? Conquest of Europe in WW2 which Russia started together with Hitler? (Luckily Hitler, in his hubris, chose to betray Russian allies instead of dividing the world) Terror of 1930s? Bloodbath of  the 1917 revolution? WW1 that wouldn't happen without Russian warmongering. Numerous genocides of 19th century? So called Serfdom (actually, form of slavery)? What exactly makes you proud?
It's not a particularly happy history but it's a rich one, and you cherry-picked the worst parts (not to mention WW1 was Serbia's fault). Most of Europe was responsible for atrocities during the 19th century too and it doesn't mean it's wrong to like those country's history because they still did some good. I like to study the 1700s and late 19th-early 20th century the most. Most of the 19th century was... not good. Stupid Nicholas I, responsible for half of the shit that plagues Russia and its society.

Re: culture I wasn't only thinking of literature, but also Soviet movies are good. Better than the lame tripe that the modern Russian film industry puts out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:10:47 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98