Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68605 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1380 on: April 01, 2022, 02:40:49 pm »

It must have been... Hmmmm... a sneaky Belarussian attack.
Flying Gas Pipes!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 01, 2022, 03:12:16 pm »

It must have been... Hmmmm... a sneaky Belarussian attack.
Don't be silly. Uncle Vanya is merely launching a Special Deep-Frying Operation.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 02, 2022, 02:59:25 am »

Well, the Russians won't admit to killing Ukraine's civilians, so why should Ukraine admit to killing Russia's precious fuel?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 02, 2022, 05:17:59 am »

Zelenski said that the retreating Russian troops around Kyiv are creating a terrible disaster.

They are leaving landmines and tripwires everywhere, including in houses, and around corpses.

EDIT: The Pope held a speech in Malta strongly critisizing Putin.
Quote from: Pope Franciscus
A potentate is trying to stoke conflict with nationalist motives.
We thought that the invasion of other countries, bloody streetfights and threatening to use nuclear weapons were a just a bad memory from times long past. But now, from the east of Europe, comes a dark shadow of war.
Sadly, again there is a potentate that pathetically embraces nationalistic claims that are completely outdated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 07:48:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 02, 2022, 04:35:12 pm »

So the images coming out of Bucha and other liberated towns paint a horrifying picture of the occupation.

Civilians were straight up executed.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 02, 2022, 04:39:09 pm »

So the images coming out of Bucha and other liberated towns paint a horrifying picture of the occupation.

Yeah, according to BBC, "One commander said all men aged between 18 and 60 had been rounded up and executed by Moscow's soldiers."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 02, 2022, 04:52:53 pm »

Yeah, according to BBC, "One commander said all men aged between 18 and 60 had been rounded up and executed by Moscow's soldiers."

Obviously so they wouldn't join the army and the counterattack. As you can see quite clearly though, Ukrainians only have two options: surrender to certain death, or fight for a sliver of a chance at not-death.

We will not let Russia win, even if we lose everything in the process.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 02, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »

The mayor of Bucha says that added to the 20 executed civilians on the street, there is also a mass grave with 280 corpses, probably the 'all men between age 18 and 60' mentioned earlier by the Ukrainian army commander.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 02, 2022, 05:39:25 pm »

I hate that Russia’s doing this, things just keep getting worse

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 02, 2022, 06:02:29 pm »

...monsters presumably following orders.  These acts aren't the work of bored and frustrated conscripts.  These are scared young men doing what they're told to do.
That tank on the road between Mria and Myla was obviously following orders.  Mass graves take organization.

I still have a shred of sympathy for (some) of the Russian soldiers.  Young, scared, with a gun in your hand and everyone else around you being young, scared with guns in their hands, human nature is to conform to even the worst of deeds, especially if directed by an older person probably trained in manipulating little shits like them and with the authority to punish or kill any soldier that disobeys.  Plenty of room in that mass grave for any soldier that says "no".

On the bright side, the soldiers will be clearly be going home from a losing war.  They'll get the same sort of welcome that US Vietnam War veterans got.  Nobody likes a loser, and no amount of lipstick can completely cover this pig of a war.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 02, 2022, 06:34:38 pm »

I'll have sympathy for Russian soldiers once they start to shoot their officers.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 02, 2022, 06:42:51 pm »

I'll have sympathy for Russian soldiers once they start to shoot their officers.

There is nothing sadder than a man who refuses to rise up when duty calls.  ;D
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 02, 2022, 09:20:18 pm »

All the males in the town killed... nothing has changed in thousands of years except the number of observers and the accuracy of the observations. Hopefully the ability to observe will not be obstructed by our own governments in the future.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 02, 2022, 09:31:52 pm »

I suspected that this was happening in occupied territories. After all, it is what Russia did in Chechnya (and the world was totally OK with this)... With so many people still being under occupation and uncounted murdered people in Mariupol, I am sure that we are looking (at the very least) at 100 000 dead

If photos from Bucha won't cause EU's embargo on Russian oil and gas in the coming days, nothing will.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 02, 2022, 09:53:53 pm »

If thing continue at this rate, the entire northern prong of the invasion will be gone within days. After that is done, there will be little to prevent a proper counterattack in the south. It can be hoped that Ukraine will regain her prewar borders by the end of the month.

Unfortunately, there is little chance of the inevitable war crime trials including the people most responsible, but perhaps the Russians will take care of that for us as the repercussions of this disaster start hitting them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 98