Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68760 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1290 on: March 30, 2022, 01:14:49 pm »

In Japan, the post-WW2 taboo of speaking about leaving the path of miltary non-aggression is no more.
Politicians debate about expanding the military with offensive weaponry, and there are even talks about allowing the US to place nuclear weapons in their country, in response to Russia's aggression, and China's support.

Japan already has one of the world's most powerful militaries despite the "self defense force" branding - they have the 4th largest Navy including two aircraft carriers "aviation destroyers" and 36 missile destroyers. Their Air Force is small but very powerful at 745 planes, most of which are among the most advanced in the world. Their Army is a little weaker comparatively, with "only" 150,000 soldiers and a thousand tanks (with proportionate artillery and logistics elements). They're also a "near-nuclear power" that could probably assemble a nuke within weeks if they ever decided to.

If they drop the Self Defense Force label and start expanding to a fully offensively capable force, they'll be the world's second-ranking power within five years.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: March 30, 2022, 01:50:22 pm »

Imagine Japan reclaiming Sakhalin. New modern cities will emerge there almost instantly benefiting humanity. Eh... dreams...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1292 on: March 30, 2022, 02:04:40 pm »

I get you loathe Russia in its current state Strongpoint, but neo-imperialist Japan is not what you want as a replacement.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 30, 2022, 02:15:06 pm »

Basically that. I said that "no sane country is gonna want to stay non-nuclear at this rate" is a bad precedent to set for a reason, and in Japan's case the movement is gonna be led by the people who're nostalgic for the basically only thing in the world that can get both Chinas and both Koreas to agree on something. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: March 30, 2022, 02:28:25 pm »

Shit, it'd be one of the few things that could probably get me agreeing with those three, too. Imperial japan is not something we want to see come back even a little bit :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 30, 2022, 02:39:13 pm »

I get you loathe Russia in its current state Strongpoint, but neo-imperialist Japan is not what you want as a replacement.

You are wrong. I loathe Russia in whatever state it was since it began existing.

And with Neo-imperialist Japan we'll at least get some cool anime propaganda!
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 30, 2022, 02:50:03 pm »

we'll at least get some cool anime propaganda!

Even more reasons to not want a Neo-imperialist Japan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 30, 2022, 03:03:22 pm »

Nothing like some kawaii with your calls for nationalism and worse.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 30, 2022, 03:08:12 pm »

You are wrong. I loathe Russia in whatever state it was since it began existing.

But if you apply that statement far back enough you will make Sweden sad. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 30, 2022, 03:13:22 pm »

Luckily before that it will involve the Kievan Rus ;)
Love, scriver~

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 30, 2022, 05:53:38 pm »

According to BBC, Britain's cyber-intelligence agency says Russian soldiers have accidentally shot down their own aircraft and refused to follow orders at times.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 30, 2022, 09:27:57 pm »

Yep. Not to mention nobody on Sakhalin wants to be with Japan.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 30, 2022, 09:47:11 pm »

Yep. Not to mention nobody on Sakhalin wants to be with Japan.
Who says they’d be there long enough to object?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 30, 2022, 10:12:36 pm »

Luckily before that it will involve the Kievan Rus ;)

It won't. Kievan Rus has no more relation to Russia than Romania to Rome. Kyiv is as Russian as Rome is Romanian.

At some point, Muscovy decided that calling itself Tsardom of Russia sounds cooler.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 30, 2022, 10:58:06 pm »

In Japan, the post-WW2 taboo of speaking about leaving the path of miltary non-aggression is no more.
Politicians debate about expanding the military with offensive weaponry, and there are even talks about allowing the US to place nuclear weapons in their country, in response to Russia's aggression, and China's support.

Japan already has one of the world's most powerful militaries despite the "self defense force" branding - they have the 4th largest Navy including two aircraft carriers "aviation destroyers" and 36 missile destroyers. Their Air Force is small but very powerful at 745 planes, most of which are among the most advanced in the world. Their Army is a little weaker comparatively, with "only" 150,000 soldiers and a thousand tanks (with proportionate artillery and logistics elements). They're also a "near-nuclear power" that could probably assemble a nuke within weeks if they ever decided to.

If they drop the Self Defense Force label and start expanding to a fully offensively capable force, they'll be the world's second-ranking power within five years.

I think you need to put down the Manga...

Two aircraft carriers and 36 missile destroyers absolutely is not the 4th largest navy.  MOST navies have two aircraft carriers (if you include the Helicopter Carriers).  In what way is that larger than the navies of United States, United Kingdom, Russia, and China again?

Also Italy and France are comparable.

Frankly, the nutters on the Nationalist side of things are almost always behind the military.  It doesn't mean everyone should disarm just because you might disagree with some of the crazy theories of those who like guns.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 98