Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68839 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1275 on: March 30, 2022, 07:28:21 am »

Just read an interesting article (it's in Swedish an paywalled unfortunately) about how Ukrainian forces fought the Russian colon with "IT-rangers" (my terms).

I looked up the part of the name of the force, Aerorozvidka, that I didn't understand (aero is probably aero, right?) on google translate and it came up as "intelligence", is that correct-ish?

(On a side note when I first typed it into translate it suggested slovakian, where apparently allegedly it means "marriage difference"? Go home, Lech, you're drunk)

In this context, rozvidka = reconnaissance.
There's a wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerorozvidka

Ah, I didn't bother to check, didn't think there would be one.

I also learned today that Russian troops are reverse vampires
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 30, 2022, 07:41:05 am »

One of my bigger fears about this whole conflict is that it might cause the collapse of Russia.

Then we don't have 'Russia with nukes', we'll have a warlord over here with nukes, a warlord over there with nukes, some coke dealers with nukes, some crazy oligarchs with nukes and then some.
This problem can be mitigated by military interventions of NATO\China that will destroy\capture nuclear facilities.

And Russia will either collapse or start WW3, there is no other end for this country possible. As soon as humanity will find alternatives to fossil fuels, Russia will end, one way or another. Their society can't function without massive amounts of free $$$. Yes, Moscow has other resources to extract from its colonies, but they are unlikely to be as meaningful as fossil fuels, energy was, is and will be the king of the world economy.

And I hope to live long enough to observe the collapse.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 30, 2022, 09:00:23 am »

One of my bigger fears about this whole conflict is that it might cause the collapse of Russia.

Then we don't have 'Russia with nukes', we'll have a warlord over here with nukes, a warlord over there with nukes, some coke dealers with nukes, some crazy oligarchs with nukes and then some.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

The collapse of the USSR was widely feared for that exact reason.  It just didn't happen like that.
Basically, a leaky poorly-maintained nuclear arsenal will be traded away for whatever the rump country need/its ruler wants, in most cases.
In some fringe cases, you get a NK dictator that shakes their arsenal for stuff every once in a while.  Smaller countries are easier to control than larger countries.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 30, 2022, 09:30:33 am »

In Japan, the post-WW2 taboo of speaking about leaving the path of miltary non-aggression is no more.
Politicians debate about expanding the military with offensive weaponry, and there are even talks about allowing the US to place nuclear weapons in their country, in response to Russia's aggression, and China's support.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 30, 2022, 09:31:39 am »

offer rump and then
try drawing out one at a time

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 30, 2022, 09:55:42 am »

I feel deadass collapse is unlikely but a civil war is quite likely, and in that case I hope NATO intervenes on the anti-Putin side.

I'd fight for the rebels, myself.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 30, 2022, 10:10:01 am »

In Japan, the post-WW2 taboo of speaking about leaving the path of miltary non-aggression is no more.
Politicians debate about expanding the military with offensive weaponry, and there are even talks about allowing the US to place nuclear weapons in their country, in response to Russia's aggression, and China's support.

This is gonna get spicy within the next decade, given how previously the cause of re-militarizing Japan was most strongly advocated by the ultranationalist and "Imperial Japan did nothing wrong, warcrimes are totally fun" types.

What was I saying earlier about fearing that the fallout of this clusterfuck might lead to a new era of militarism? Oh yeah... :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 30, 2022, 10:45:23 am »

I feel deadass collapse is unlikely but a civil war is quite likely, and in that case I hope NATO intervenes on the anti-Putin side.

I'd fight for the rebels, myself.

Most likely, you won't. I think that should a Russian civil war happen, there will be no side you'll like.

Do Russian liberals have war veterans? Do Russian liberals have supporters among military generals or special service operatives? Do Russian liberals have any significant hope for international volunteers?

To wage war, one needs someone who knows how to wage it. In 2014, Ukraine had very few people who knew how to wage war and we nearly collapsed against a very limited operation (and still lost a large chunk of territory)

But still, we had:
1) Afghanistan war veterans
2) Chechen war veterans (both Chehens who fled to Ukraine and Ukrainian volunteers that fought that war,
3) Badly funded and corrupt remains of the army of the Ukrainian SSR 
4) Various paramilitary nationalist groups with some limited training
5) Some peacekeeping units that benefited from regular exercises with NATO
6) Civil resistance veterans of two revolutions who, while having no combat experience, had the necessary skills and organization to cover the logistics of the war.

What (and who) do Russian liberals have to wage a civil war? Why would any part of the Russian military machine join your side?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 30, 2022, 10:58:36 am »

Russian soldiers are mostly conscripts who get convinced through hook or crook to contract with the army and then get lied to about where they’re going and what they’ll be doing when they get there.

They can’t fight against the “monster” (by which I mean that’s what the Russian propaganda machine has set Ukraine up to be) next door, what do you think they’ll do when asked to fire on their own people?

The liberals may not necessarily be the best or most popular choice for them, but it will be a choice some of them make.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 30, 2022, 11:12:46 am »

Russian soldiers are mostly conscripts who get convinced through hook or crook to contract with the army and then get lied to about where they’re going and what they’ll be doing when they get there.

They can’t fight against the “monster” (by which I mean that’s what the Russian propaganda machine has set Ukraine up to be) next door, what do you think they’ll do when asked to fire on their own people?

The liberals may not necessarily be the best or most popular choice for them, but it will be a choice some of them make.
This. Even if there's no liberal faction, I don't live far from the Kazakh border and I can just flee if a civil war happens as a backup plan.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 30, 2022, 11:18:41 am »

Unfortunately, civilian dictatorships typically get overthrown by military dictatorships.  Putin, if overthrown, is most likely to get replaced by one of his generals (if he has any left).

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 30, 2022, 11:32:47 am »

Unfortunately, civilian dictatorships typically get overthrown by military dictatorships.  Putin, if overthrown, is most likely to get replaced by one of his generals (if he has any left).
Generals are dropping like flies TBH. And it can go either way, as history has shown.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 30, 2022, 12:06:32 pm »

And what choice will paratroopers, FSB's special units, militarized police, Kadyrov's thugs, Wagner's mercenaries make? What choice will the airforce and the navy make? Those are professionals and they have a lot to lose.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 30, 2022, 12:07:21 pm »

Widespread outrage at Putin continues to mount online even on the Russian web. Support is shrinking from what I've seen.

This is good to hear.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 30, 2022, 12:48:37 pm »

I also learned today that Russian troops are reverse vampires
...they will only enter your home if they aren't invited?

8)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 98