Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68829 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #975 on: March 20, 2022, 09:46:29 am »

An internal refugee is still a refugee, forced to leave home and hearth
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 20, 2022, 09:48:26 am »

But not the country - which is what you said.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 20, 2022, 09:50:26 am »

The Pope has called for an end to the pointless bloodbath in Ukraine.

Perhaps it's time he calls for a Crusade?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 20, 2022, 09:55:23 am »

Dear Russian protesters. In the following video ( https://twitter.com/ElektroVesti/status/1505556459605667855 ), you can see what you should do when one of you is arrested instead of recording the arrest on your phones and shouting "disgrace."

Thank you for your attention
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 20, 2022, 10:04:51 am »

You should attack police stations and free arrested protestors.

REBEL, REVOLT, ATTACK

The next arrested protestor could be your baby girl, your mother, or your father
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 10:07:09 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 20, 2022, 01:09:52 pm »

The fucking stink nazi Russians have shot and killed 56 elderly in an elderly home in Luhansk.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/dood-van-902-burgers-in-oekraine-door-vn-geverifieerd-zelenski-spreekt-parlement-israel-toe-israel-moet-leven-met-deze-keus~bab21952/
Russian tanks shot at the elderly home, killing 56. The 15 survivors have been kidnaped and taken hostage by the Russians. The dead can't be reached for burial.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:15:21 pm by martinuzz »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: March 20, 2022, 01:25:43 pm »

The death of a Russian senior naval officer is confirmed by Russian officials.

Spoiler: from BBC (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 20, 2022, 01:45:05 pm »

Nazis did indeed cause his death, one could argue, for someone who counts the Nazi(s) actually in the Kremlin...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: March 20, 2022, 02:28:26 pm »

Note that there are no protests in Russia this Sunday (unlike last 2). Anyone who had a faint hope for growing protests should forget about it
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 20, 2022, 02:52:56 pm »

If that really is the case and there is no chance of Russians fixing this problem, then Ukraine's new victory condition will be to hold out until every last Russian soldier kills himself by charging Ukraine's defenses. Once every last tank, airplane, and soldier is destroyed, Russia will have no army and the sanctions will prevent him from rebuilding one. Only then there will be peace.

If Ukraine does not surrender, then a Ukrainian counter-offensive will be inevitable. I believe Russia will eventually stop sending its soldiers into the meat grinder to avoid the above and switch to bombing the country full-time like the terrorists they are. We will not be able to stand for it, we will either surrender or attack those actively performing the bombings. And if we attack, the war will end one way or the other. Regardless, It's going to get even uglier than it is now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 20, 2022, 03:30:48 pm »

If that really is the case and there is no chance of Russians fixing this problem, then Ukraine's new victory condition will be to hold out until every last Russian soldier kills himself by charging Ukraine's defenses. Once every last tank, airplane, and soldier is destroyed, Russia will have no army and the sanctions will prevent him from rebuilding one. Only then there will be peace.

If Ukraine does not surrender, then a Ukrainian counter-offensive will be inevitable. I believe Russia will eventually stop sending its soldiers into the meat grinder to avoid the above and switch to bombing the country full-time like the terrorists they are. We will not be able to stand for it, we will either surrender or attack those actively performing the bombings. And if we attack, the war will end one way or the other. Regardless, It's going to get even uglier than it is now.

There is a slim chance, but those Russians won't be Russian liberal opposition. A coup is always a possibility.

Edit:
Russia gives Ukraine until the early hours of the 21st of March to respond regarding surrendering Mariupol

I don't even know what the answer will be...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 03:36:22 pm by Strongpoint »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: March 20, 2022, 04:21:36 pm »

The only answer likely to be given will probably be "idi nahui" given all the shit they've done in terms of making things a living hell for the civilians there.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 20, 2022, 04:49:28 pm »

The only answer likely to be given will probably be "idi nahui" given all the shit they've done in terms of making things a living hell for the civilians there.

Hey, why are you so rude? in Ukraine we say "Follow the Russian warship"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 20, 2022, 05:42:04 pm »

Is surrender even an option for Mariupol?

Unless Russia's stopped allowing it, those who think they're safer under Russian ownership already have the option to flee the city to Russia.
Russia's logistics are already too thin to refuel their tanks. There's no way they'll go from war crimes to start prioritizing food and medical supplies for civilians. They might accept NATO relief supplies, if they're transferred to over to their own troops, unchaperoned.
It would end the bombing, but then the entire city is held hostage. After all these war crimes to take it, there's no way Putin lets the Ukrainians liberate it without catastrophic civilian casualties among those they can't re-locate into Russia first.

I don't think there's a better option than hoping for either a successful relief effort, or for the attacking conscripts to get tired of murdering civilians.

It's interesting that they're stating a deadline now. What's changed for them to be unwilling to keep up the siege?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 20, 2022, 07:06:17 pm »

At a guess, that's the deadline beyond which their own operation is seriously hitting the buffers. They need to get Ukraine to agree to being beaten because there's no way they can sustain the pressure and actually beat them (by fair means or even most foul ones) otherwise.

If I were President Z, and if I could possibly put aside all the overwhelming humanitarian pressures being put upon me, I think I'd take this as a cue to keep on doing what I'm currently doing. Really, his people have done what I think many would have considered impossible. At great cost, but probably no greater than what they'd have to have paid if they'd just rolled-over... The only thing worse is to have paid that cost and then have to pay again by backing away and pulling any further punches.

I'm sent back to the Red Storm Rising playbook. There was a Russian plan that was 'sure' of victory, but it plainly hasn't survived contact with the enemy.

This is, of course, me totally in the position as Armchair War-Leader. I'm not the real thing, and I have no ambition to ever be put in the position of being the real thing. Those playing this particular high-stakes poker game are welcome to it, and I don't envy them playing it.

(And if they even take the actual advice of a rando on a relatively obscure forum, they're not the people I think they are. If it happens that we're of the same mind, that's just coincidence.)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 98