Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68621 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #855 on: March 16, 2022, 06:57:33 am »

Russia will be declared bankrupt today for not being able to pay it's foreign debt payments
When Russia desperately needed money in the aftermath of the Crimean War, Alexander II sold off Alaska to the US.

Maybe it could sell off some more land. (But not Crimea itself/etc, as that's hot-property with an iffy ownership already. Otherwise I'd suggest it be offered[1] as part of reparations.) What's the going rate for land with no apparent value but which will likely have a gold-/oil-style rush in the future with something[2] we don't yet realise exists?

[1] Not that it will be, while Putin remains not totally discredited. He's probably now aiming to 'settle' for Donbas+ 'independence' (from Ukraine, but not Russia), or even 'everything East of the Dnipro/Dnieper', if he can't get the total victory he certainly assumed he's have by now. East/West whatever-is-left-of-Kiev would fuel spy-fiction for years to come...

[2] Dilithium? Kyber crystals? Slood?

edited for tyops
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:47:57 am by Starver »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 16, 2022, 07:26:37 am »

Russia will be declared bankrupt today for not being able to pay it's foreign debt payments

Dear Federal subjects of Russia, I have a hint for you: Should you exit Russian Federation NOW, you will not need to repay debts and reparations.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 16, 2022, 12:28:45 pm »

Between 1,000 and 1,200 people were sheltering at Mariupol theater when it was hit by airstrike, deputy mayor says; number of casualties unknown - BBC

I have no words anymore. Also, whoever made the decision to gather many civilians in one place to make Russia's job easier is... a criminal at this point.

And it wasn't just some random airstrike... They dropped a bunker buster demolishing the building, being in the basement means nothing
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:32:25 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 16, 2022, 12:34:34 pm »

Jesus... That's just pure terror bombing. Hope the casualties stay at a minimum.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 16, 2022, 01:10:58 pm »

Peace talks finally seem to be succeeding. Let's hope they can find some compromise and stop this horror.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 16, 2022, 01:24:08 pm »

Peace talks finally seem to be succeeding. Let's hope they can find some compromise and stop this horror.

Those peace talks are useless\harmful. Russian goal is the destruction of the Ukrainian nation and the only kind of agreement they may agree to is one that will allow them to regroup and start another stage of the war whenever it benefits them completely ignoring whatever piece of paper that may be signed.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 16, 2022, 01:34:50 pm »

Speaking of Russians bravely opposing the regime.

More context

"In Lukhovitsy near Moscow, a military registration and enlistment office was burned. An unknown guerrilla posted a video and a statement. The attack is directed against Putin's aggression in Ukraine. We welcome the sabotage of the war machine of the aggressors. We call on all awakened residents of Russia and Belarus to follow the example of a brave saboteur near Moscow."

Not sure about the validity of this but who doesn't enjoy a some good old-fashioned bomb throwing anarchists burning down government buildings.

That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2022, 01:36:49 pm »

In this case they're not bomb throwing anarchist, they are bomb-throwing heroes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 16, 2022, 01:37:39 pm »

In this case they're not bomb throwing anarchist, they are bomb-throwing heroes.

Why can't anarchists be heroes? I didn't post that to discredit the anti-government segments of Russian society, quite the opposite.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 16, 2022, 01:38:01 pm »

They have no cause

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 16, 2022, 01:45:08 pm »

Those peace talks are useless\harmful. Russian goal is the destruction of the Ukrainian nation and the only kind of agreement they may agree to is one that will allow them to regroup and start another stage of the war whenever it benefits them completely ignoring whatever piece of paper that may be signed.

How else could this end, if not with a peace treaty? The only alternative I can see is escalation into an actual world war.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 16, 2022, 01:45:45 pm »

They have no cause

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about anarchism but let me just say that this isn't true. The wiki article sums up anarchist beliefs well enough I think.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 16, 2022, 01:51:22 pm »

If anarchists rally behind a cause, they have become organised and thus are no longer true anarchists.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 16, 2022, 01:57:06 pm »

... I think you misunderstand what the Anarchist movement is.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 16, 2022, 02:00:23 pm »

Speaking of Russians bravely opposing the regime.

More context

"In Lukhovitsy near Moscow, a military registration and enlistment office was burned. An unknown guerrilla posted a video and a statement. The attack is directed against Putin's aggression in Ukraine. We welcome the sabotage of the war machine of the aggressors. We call on all awakened residents of Russia and Belarus to follow the example of a brave saboteur near Moscow."

Not sure about the validity of this but who doesn't enjoy a some good old-fashioned bomb throwing anarchists burning down government buildings.

IMO, a good number of people like this is the only thing that can save the world from a large scale nuclear war. Russia exploding from within seems like the only hope... very slim hope.

How else could this end, if not with a peace treaty? The only alternative I can see is escalation into an actual world war.

WW3 has already started. It is just a somewhat hybrid one

This war can end only with the collapse of Russia just like WW2 could end only with the collapse of the Third Reich. And no, I am not living in a fairytale in which Ukraine starts a great counteroffensive and... Ukraine will be slowly losing, transitioning from conventional war to something more simmilar to Syria with pockets of resistance all while Russia destabilized in a war it can't end...

Or Russia will defeat Ukraine relatively quickly and then try with some other country (baltic states, Poland, Kazakhstan, Finland, whatever), and then the cycle will repeat.

Russia will collapse as a result of this war. It is doomed. The question is how many people this monster will take with itself. Nuclear war is the worst possible scenario
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 98