Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68561 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #825 on: March 14, 2022, 05:02:30 pm »

Trump said the same thing about how we should try to get closer to Russia. We all saw how that turned out.

The lesson that needs to be learned from this is that you can only lose when you try to go buddy-buddy with an authoritarian regime. If not now, then eventually. We censored our movies to please China, we deprived Blitzchun of his well-earned Esports money because China said it had to be so, and now they're trying to control Europe through their Belt-and-Road initiative and become the next superpower. Will we be as eager to sanction China when they invade Taiwan, while our economies are still so deeply entwined?

We had our golden age of tight US China relations back in the 2000s and earlier, the China hate you see now is just the result of us awakening to what it will cost us.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 14, 2022, 07:03:34 pm »

Russian state TV editor interrupts live news broadcast with anti-war message

Here's a link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCy_S5lxs-c

)

For many years, she worked on a channel that spread fascist propaganda including demonization of Ukrainians but now... *Yawns*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 14, 2022, 07:15:42 pm »

Better late than never when it comes to do the right thing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2022, 07:41:57 pm »

Her mother is Ukrainian (and I think she also lives in Ukraine)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2022, 10:32:19 pm »

The editor is a hero.

China has even worse human rights than Russia, fuck 'em.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 14, 2022, 11:38:49 pm »

The editor is a hero.

I won't be surprised if she was ordered to do so to create the narrative of "Not all Russians support Putin, don't sanction them too hard."

Sorry, I don't believe that heroes can work on Russian state television.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 14, 2022, 11:41:27 pm »

The editor is a hero.

I won't be surprised if she was ordered to do so to create the narrative of "Not all Russians support Putin, don't sanction them too hard."

Sorry, I don't believe that heroes can work on Russian state television.
Well, it's not quite a narrative if it's true as you can see, however, sanctions are justified.

She's getting fired and likely jailed, this is an act of protest.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:45:05 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 15, 2022, 02:47:08 am »

That is not a narrative the Kremlin wants to spread at all. And it is easy to see how someone would join RT a few years ago, yet revolt because of current events.

The world isn't neatly divided in good people doing everything right and bad people doing everything wrong..

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 15, 2022, 03:44:33 am »

That is not a narrative the Kremlin wants to spread at all. And it is easy to see how someone would join RT a few years ago, yet revolt because of current events.

The world isn't neatly divided in good people doing everything right and bad people doing everything wrong..
Indeed. It's childishly naive to divide people into two neat boxes: "incorruptibly pure angel in human form" and "completely rotten supervillain wannabe". I expect 3-year-olds to do that, not grown adults.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 15, 2022, 04:58:19 am »

Indeed. It's childishly naive to divide people into two neat boxes: "incorruptibly pure angel in human form" and "completely rotten supervillain wannabe". I expect 3-year-olds to do that, not grown adults.

You are strawmaning my position.

I am merely saying that I do not believe in a sudden change of heart of a person that did vile things for years. Neither do I like when such persons are portrayed as heroes because of one action ignoring their past.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 15, 2022, 05:22:23 am »

Everyone works within systems, and those systems and institutions are frequently corrupt in some way. I worked in Tescos, a large supermarket in the UK. Its public line was 'we're reducing plastic usage!' but the reality was we were still wrapping cages in sheets of plastic.

I didn't go on live TV denouncing Tescos, but if I had it wouldn't have been a sudden change of heart. It would have been a reaction which required those years of experience.

The news reporter likely didn't suddenly go 180 degrees from corporate cog to outspoken resistor. She spent years in a system 1000 times more corrupt than Tesco, then realised she had to speak out, regardless of personal risk to career and life itself.

I'd hazard that none of us have done anything half so 'heroic'.

Honestly, I'm surprised by your condemnation Strongpoint. Your line with Ukranians has so far been to encourage them to do anything within their power to resist. This woman, though Russian, has done just that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 05:25:18 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 15, 2022, 05:44:34 am »

Honestly, it's impractical to think that the Kremlin would want to fracture itself just to lower the sanctions lightly. Feels like they're shooting themselves on the foot, unless that's really what they want to do, but even then, that doesn't explain why they still want to retain the narrative when it so obviously was indicated that the plans were flash-fired by Putin alone.

It's more practical to prepare Occam's Razor on this and take it for what it is -- that it is a protest in and of itself.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 15, 2022, 06:03:37 am »

In an act of bravery, stupidity or both, this morning around 8am, the prime ministers of Poland (Mateusz Morawiecki ), Slovenia (Janez Jansa) and Czechia (Petr Fiala) have crossed the Polish border into Ukraine and will travel to Kyiv to meet with president Zelenski. They have a long and dangerous road ahead.
For security reasons, the route they travel is confidential (duh).

According to the Polish government, the visit has been consulted with the EU first.

Fingers crossed that no heads of NATO states get shelled by Russians when they get closer to Kyiv.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 15, 2022, 06:56:33 am »

Classified documents obtained by Disclose, which have been corroborated by data in the public domain, reveal that since 2015 France has issued 76 export licences to Russia for military equipment worth a total of 152 million euros. This figure appears in the latest French Parliamentary report on arms exports, though the types of weapon are not detailed there. According to our investigation the French aerospace and defence companies Thales and Safran, in which the French state has major stakes, were the main beneficiaries of these contracts. The deals mostly involve thermal image cameras for tanks, and navigation systems and infrared detectors for Russian fighters and attack helicopters.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 98