Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68589 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #780 on: March 12, 2022, 03:44:32 pm »

I can't find that in the link you posted
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 12, 2022, 04:06:29 pm »

I can't find that in the link you posted

Here's the copypasta:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 12, 2022, 04:09:35 pm »

That BBC link is one of those unsanitary "loads of unnecessary additional parameters" ones, that I'd have cut down to a direct[1], personally. But I couldn't find the story on there (even sanitised of all that bumf), so if you don't mind a link to typical newspaper website with its inherent ad-loading scripts (which I had to disable, on this particular computer, to stop the browser freaking out, but is actually just the overloaded news-site format) then maybe that's good enough for you.

[1] If it weren't a 'container' page, within which presumably there is the link to the actual article page. I tend to avoid the "As it happens..." pages, and navigate purely by the usual subject-header pages.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 13, 2022, 06:32:49 am »

Are there any official legal reasons why countries can't impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine? Or is it just the looming threat of escalation that prevents it?

What about if a non-NATO country imposed it?

EDIT: And what's going to happen in the grim situation if Russia does indeed take Kyiv? Is the world just going to throw up its hands and go "oh, well"?

And what is this (AlJazeera.com) about ballistic missiles that Iran says it fired into Iraq, targeting an Israeli facility?

Diplomacy seems to be getting thrown to the wayside...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:42:00 am by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 13, 2022, 06:50:20 am »

Largely escalation.

Also it's questionable to what degree a no-fly zone would work. Russians are barely using the air force.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 13, 2022, 06:50:33 am »

It's just the looming threat of escalation.

Legally, it would be no problem. Ukraine requested it itself.

EDIT: Meanwhile in Iraq, 12 ballistic missiles were fired at Erbil, according to the Kurdish security forces they were aimed purposedly at the US consulate. According to the US, the missiles came from Iran.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 06:58:12 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 13, 2022, 07:05:11 am »

Are there any official legal reasons why countries can't impose a no-fly zone over Ukraine? Or is it just the looming threat of escalation that prevents it?
Imposing no-fly zone = enforcing it = shooting down Russian aircrafts = Being in a de-facto war with Russia.

Edit: What I'd love to see is EU's full embargo on Russian gas and oil. Like NOW. Yes I understand that it will cost EU countries many % of GDP, that it will result in national emergencies but... It isn't even about saving Ukrainian lives by collapsing Russian Economy ASAP, it is about preventing their ability to go further later
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:45:58 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 13, 2022, 07:44:51 am »

Imposing no-fly zone = enforcing it = shooting down Russian aircrafts = Being in a de-facto war with Russia.
It's beyond that: imposing no fly zone = fly nato planes in ukraine within range of Belarus and Russia AA missiles. Which btw NATO air forces are able to suppress but it's  by bombing the fuck out of said air bases before they shoot. But THIS means preventive strikes into Russian soil

By that same rule of thumb I suspect the russians wont dare attack bases in  NATO soil despite their posturing about weapon shipments.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:46:53 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 13, 2022, 07:47:28 am »

Kyiv region police chief Andriy Nebytov reports that New York Times journalist Brent Renaud, a US citizen, was shot and killed on the outskirts of Kyiv today.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 13, 2022, 08:14:35 am »

Instituting a no-fly zone is for all intents and purposes joining the war on Ukraine's side. As soon as Russia decides to poke the bear by flying sorties regardless, war is getting declared. We're not in some video game where there's rules you and the enemy must follow, where your coalition can just declare a no-fly zone with the power of the UN or something and everyone is forced to obey it. In diplomacy and war, the rules are made up and the words don't matter, all that matters is the practical reality.

And in this case, the practical realities look a lot like "nobody wants to start a shooting war with Russia, weak though they are", and "nobody wants to straight up end Russian energy imports, because it'd cripple their economy/power grid/etc.".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 13, 2022, 08:39:53 am »

Yeah, right now going full oil and gas sanctions would come down to saying 'sorry Paris, sorry future generations, bye bye climate plans, we need to reopen our coal power plants'.

That, or convince Germany they should reopen their nuclear plants.

Kyiv region police chief Andriy Nebytov reports that New York Times journalist Brent Renaud, a US citizen, was shot and killed on the outskirts of Kyiv today.
That is of little consequence if true. Article 5 does not apply to NATO citizens killed outside NATO territory.
Shooting a reporter is a war crime though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 08:42:27 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 13, 2022, 08:45:19 am »

Russia attacked a base 20km from the Polish border, that was used to ferry Western weapon shipments and train foreign recruits.

EDIT: Volkskrant confirms the death of Brent Renaud. An unnamed US colleague has been injured and taken to a hospital.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 08:51:13 am by martinuzz »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 13, 2022, 08:55:09 am »

There's a longer article on Meduza for those interested.

Yes, seeing that on the news made me wonder if in those circumstances had Ukraine previously made an offer that overlapped significantly with Putin's demands if that information would have even been passed upwards to Putin to decide whether to approve further negotiations if that is of benefit to Russia.

As Ukraine comes under increased attack from the air without increasing ability to defend itself in that regard, one frequently wonders why such a vulnerability to civilians from that layer has not been rectified to a greater degree. I have heard on the news that "dumb" bombs are being used on cities, so Ukrainians appear to have need for at a minimum for defensive equipment systems that can drive off mid and high altitude fast moving aircraft, but I am not an expert on those things.

The following are silly suggestions after considering Russia is launching planes from Belarus anyways but if the problem is still "logistics" for the Mig29s is it possible to modify them with a jettisonable float for a one time seaplane takeoff, or is it legal to convert one of the seized oligarch yachts into a one time launch platform or carrier conversion?

In addition, this attack was carried out by aircraft mounting cruise missiles according to the NY times. I would guess those can launch from outside the range of anti-air defenses. I imagine that complicates things a great deal, and I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether interceptors could have intercepted them or not.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/13/world/ukraine-russia-war

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/12/russia-ukraine-war-alarm-grows-over-mariupol-liveblog
From 2nd link
1 hour ago (08:40 GMT)
Lviv governor says nine killed in Russian attack on base

The governor of Ukraine’s Lviv region has said that nine people were killed and 57 others were wounded in airstrike on a military facility in the country’s west.

Foreign military instructors worked at the Yavoriv military facility near the Polish border that was hit by the attack, Ukrainian Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov said, but it was not clear if any were present at the time.

12 mins ago (11:10 GMT)
At least 35 people killed in attack on Ukraine base, says governor

At least 35 people have been killed and 134 wounded in a Russian air strike on a large Ukrainian military training ground near the Polish border, regional according to governor Maksym Kozytskyy.

The previous death toll announced was nine.

I would still be in support of a no-fly zone or similar method despite the risk but I am not qualified to make that call and do not know what steps are in the West's response strategy. I too agree on a complete EU embargo on Russian gas and oil but I believe the EU will do everything they can do and they know what the limits of possibility are far better than I even if I urge them to cut off the flow.

I haven't seen such an atmosphere of anger and frustration in the people of my sleepy town since 9/11.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 13, 2022, 09:03:56 am »

Ukraine can't realistically sortie interceptors to actually stop attacks; they can't reach enemy fighters launching missiles from the cover of their own air defense; they are already doing their best to shoot down Russian planes where possible. Launching fighters from the sea is completely nonsensical since Russia has total naval dominance (for all that it's [not] worth), and they don't need to anyway. They just can't afford to launch fighters because they'll get shot down by superior Russian numbers and newer, better fighters. Hence the very limited sorties they've been flying.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 98