Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68525 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #765 on: March 12, 2022, 05:44:02 am »

Russian troops fired at a mosque in Kyiv that was sheltering 80 refugees from muslim countries, including Turkey. It is unknown if there are casualties.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 12, 2022, 06:14:14 am »

Russian troops fired at a mosque in Kyiv that was sheltering 80 refugees from muslim countries, including Turkey. It is unknown if there are casualties.

In Mariupol... There are thousands estimated dead in the city. It is hell.

City, which had 44% ethnic Russians, that had 58% voters voting for Pro-Russian parties (+30% for neutralish) on the last parliamentary elections is being destroyed.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 12, 2022, 06:40:21 am »

If this quote is real...

Quote from: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov
We are not planning to attack other countries.  We did not attack Ukraine either.

Do words even have meaning any more?

Sorry to laugh in the midst of this horror, but I can´t help it. Of course, how could we think this was an invasion. Only a Special Military Operation that is going According to Plan.

Now I know what to say when my next dwarf fortress collapses: everything is going According to Plan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 12, 2022, 07:09:50 am »

Russia has said that it will start attacking weapons delivery convoys from the West.
According to Russian under minister of foreign affairs, Sergei Ryabkov, Moscow has let it been known to the US that 'the pumping of weapons into Ukraine by various Western nations is not just a dangerous step, it also makes those convoys a legitimate military target'.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2022, 07:13:16 am »

I wouldn't worry. They'll not be able to target a significant number of those convoys, they'll be too busy bombing fleeing civilians on those same roads, instead. Which is better, right?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 12, 2022, 07:16:00 am »

Awesome, please God, make the estupids attack Poland, please. That means all this ends one way or another.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 12, 2022, 07:44:02 am »

Awesome, please God, make the estupids attack Poland, please. That means all this ends one way or another.

While I do consider Putin to be Hitler with nukes I believe that this one is a bluff and they won't attack military convoys in Poland. It is a Russia-NATO war after all. Of course... predicting actions of Russians is extremely hard, they planned to conquer all of Ukraine by March 6 after all.

But there is a small hope... Russian conventional forces are a joke (army with a modern airforce would demolish them), Russian propaganda is a joke (you need flat earthers to believe them), their hackers are a joke (we had promises of total chaos in Ukraine... all they managed to do is some DDOS attacks and )

Chances are that 95% of their nukes will fail to launch\explode in Russia\hit random targets. Sure, 5% will still kill hundreds of millions but... Let's think positively
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 12, 2022, 08:05:05 am »

Always look on the bright side of death

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 12, 2022, 10:33:44 am »

While I do consider Putin to be Hitler with nukes I believe that this one is a bluff and they won't attack military convoys in Poland. It is a Russia-NATO war after all. Of course... predicting actions of Russians is extremely hard, they planned to conquer all of Ukraine by March 6 after all.

But there is a small hope... Russian conventional forces are a joke (army with a modern airforce would demolish them), Russian propaganda is a joke (you need flat earthers to believe them), their hackers are a joke (we had promises of total chaos in Ukraine... all they managed to do is some DDOS attacks and )

Chances are that 95% of their nukes will fail to launch\explode in Russia\hit random targets. Sure, 5% will still kill hundreds of millions but... Let's think positively
I've been suspecting this for a while. They sure as hell are not the nuclear power the USSR was, anymore than their military might or economic capacity are. I do believe they probably have enough of an arsenal to be a regional threat, so HOPEFULLY it wont come to nukes 🤞
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 12, 2022, 11:13:25 am »

Chances are that 95% of their nukes will fail to launch\explode in Russia\hit random targets.

That's wishful thinking, sorry. The only bright side is that nuclear stockpiles (on both sides) aren't nearly as big anymore as they have been, thanks to various nuclear disarmament agreements over the years. As a result, a full scale nuclear war now will not completely wipe out humanity.

But that's about the best thing we can say about out it. I'm trying to decide whether I prefer to move to some remote location immediately, before it's too late. Or simply stay with my friends and family and die with them, if the situation escalates.  :'(

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 12, 2022, 02:19:16 pm »

The greatest plot twist in the history of Humankind: Russia not having enough nukes to fulfill its end of the mutually assured destruction contract with the rest of the world.

Russia: "China! The time has come old friend! Let the sky rain with fire!"
China: "... You know what, how about you rain America with fire, and if the radiation from you two shooting each other doesn't destroy all of humanity, we're taking Mongolia."
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 12, 2022, 02:57:58 pm »

There are (unconfirmed) reports of Volnovakha having been retaken by a Ukrainian counteroffensive.

If true, this opens up a pathway for a potential relief force for Mariupol!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 12, 2022, 03:32:32 pm »

Chances are that 95% of their nukes will fail to launch\explode in Russia\hit random targets.

That's wishful thinking, sorry. The only bright side is that nuclear stockpiles (on both sides) aren't nearly as big anymore as they have been, thanks to various nuclear disarmament agreements over the years. As a result, a full scale nuclear war now will not completely wipe out humanity.

But that's about the best thing we can say about out it. I'm trying to decide whether I prefer to move to some remote location immediately, before it's too late. Or simply stay with my friends and family and die with them, if the situation escalates.  :'(
I mean, it *is* optimistic thinking, but based on everything else we know about the Russian military I don't think its wrong.
Like all military equipment nukes require a lot of maintenance without which they will fail to work properly.
However unlike other military equipment having a ton of nukes is kind of useless. Saying you have a ton of nukes is great for your countries ego, and proving that you have working nukes is huge, but the difference between actually having 6k nukes and just telling everyone you have 6k nukes while only having 300 nukes is functionally 0.

Given that its entirely possible that Putin skimped on the nuke budget because again, he can't actually use them while he can use planes/tanks/infantry/boats just fine. The only real reason to think they have 6k is because you actually trust the Russian goverment to be telling the truth about the state of their military which uh... don't?

(I will note that according to wikipedia Russia only has 1600 nukes actually ready to fire, a number which presumably still relies on Russia telling the truth, so its likely  the actual number is far lower).
---
Of course it doesn't really matter if Russia only has 100 active nukes. If Putin decided to go out killing as many people as they could and they all hit their targets he could probably kill a billion people with that, so the difference between 100 and 1000 is meaningless.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 12, 2022, 03:35:57 pm »

The Moscow stock exchange is to remain closed for another week. It hasn’t been open at all since the start of all this.

Can’t have a stock market crash if you never open the stock market. That’s some big thinkin’
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 12, 2022, 03:41:59 pm »

There's some unconfirmed reports of two senior officials from the FSB being placed under house arrest.

Source: BBC

Edit: Source link didn't apparently work and couldn't fix it. Check the spoiler in my post below for a copy-paste of the article.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 98