Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68493 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #750 on: March 11, 2022, 05:49:57 pm »

But they want the Ukrainian defense industry intact to use in a future war against NATO

Quite possibly true. In addition, one could argue that the influx of war material from other countries lessens the priority of such targets and/or they (still) hope for a swift end, so they concentrate resources to that.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 11, 2022, 05:54:41 pm »

Where are those located?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 11, 2022, 06:08:42 pm »

Of course Russia is expecting us to forget that they happily used chemical agents and nuclear agents in the recent past (novichok and polonium) to poison defectors and innocent bystanders. They likely have significant quantities of that stuff stored for use.
Novichok, yea, they probably have tons, it's cheap to produce.
Polonium? I doubt it. The teaspoon-ish sized dose used to kill Litvinenko is estimated to have cost 750 million euros to produce. Technically the assasination of Litvinenko was a nuclear attack on British soil.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 11, 2022, 06:22:17 pm »

It's miserable to know that any false flag attack is probably moreso aimed at producing more propaganda to keep the Russian people in their place supporting the war, but if there's even the slightest sliver of a chance that these chemical weapons are being rolled out to try and make themselves look better in the eyes of the rest of the world, I just find that funny.

I can see you dragging those chemical weapons behind you, you know.
These aren't my chemical weapons, these are the enemy's chemical weapons.
That's clearly not the case.
The enemy is going to use these to gas civilians soon!
Why do you feel the need to refer to them as "The enemy", they have a name you know.
Only traitors to our glorious leader would refer to the enemy by anything other than the enemy! That is a crime!
Bu- hey, hey hey! Get away from the chemical weapons!
The enemy is about to use them!
GET AWAY FROM THA-

... Why. Why are you like this.
See. The enemy is using chemical weapons against us.
... You know, this is why no-one likes you.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2022, 06:25:27 pm »

Technically the assasination of Litvinenko was a nuclear attack on British soil.

A radiological attack, if you want to be pedantic.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 11, 2022, 06:55:37 pm »

Any opinions of those tapes of Russian troops calling back to people (their partners at home?) and telling them what they’ve looted?

I wasn’t sure they were real, when I heard them, and frankly reddit’s news is never the most trustworthy, particularly if it’s your only source (which this time it was).
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 11, 2022, 07:00:27 pm »

Just to fill out the "WW3" element of this thread, has anybody mentioned yet that India accidentally fired a missile at Pakistan, a couple of days ago?

It was being maintained when... something happened... and it launched, going 80 miles into Pakistan at mach 3 and crashing.

(I'd already personally wondered what might happen if a Chelyabinsk-type incident just randomly happened, in the middle of this mess, over a bit of wary territory (including over a border in NATO airspace). Now I have to add to that the actions of butter-fingers maintenance crews, and you don't even need NK 'proving' their ICBMs (another thing that happened this week!) to potentially pluck one of the many connected hair-triggers. Probably won't happen, but an interesting thought to regret having...)

PPE: ...not heard about those looting claims, might be more worthwhile to discuss than my random thoughts, but I've written the above now.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 11, 2022, 07:25:49 pm »

It seems they are figuring out by diplomacy, India said they made a mistake and apologized profusely
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2022, 08:00:04 pm »

It also seems the missile wasn't armed, so the only risk it posed was as a solid object, which no doubt contributes towards Pakistan being relatively calm about it.

I do hope India compensates whoever got their house damaged though, even without the explosive payload being set off a missile would probably be able to knock a big chunk of a house down.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 11, 2022, 08:50:46 pm »

How do you accidentally shoot a missile anyway?
Someone slip and press the big red button?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 11, 2022, 08:55:26 pm »

It isn't that hard to accidentally ignite a rocket motor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 11, 2022, 09:01:24 pm »

Part of some excercise that went wrong?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 11, 2022, 09:35:34 pm »

From the sources I've seen, they were doing mainteance. It isn't exactly difficult to accidentally bridge a connection and have an accidental launch event.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 11, 2022, 10:00:25 pm »

I still haven't seen anything about those "I was looting, Ma - and look what I picked up!" tapes. Not gonna trawl reddit for them, especially if that's the only account. I'd hope that their mothers might be a little concerned that they're freely exercising a five-fingered discount option, even/especially in "obviously Russian territory, all hail Putin!" places. Must be a nicer way to possibly jolt them out of acquiescently accepting the Party Line on what they find is going on in a place they might not expect their beloved sons to be, if it goes that far, than to get the telegram/home-visit to suggest their offspring are now unlikely to return home with even just a breath in their body. However they handle such news.

But I suspect that those who are still susceptible to the likes of Lavrov's lies won't budge, and those who are already more likely to be skeptical or downright critical (which seems to be more of a thing in the young, but may still encompass some of the mothers of those now at conscript-age and beyond) were probably already suspicious about the official spin and this just confirms it.

That's just a blind assessment, though, perhaps with too much of a Westerner's typical form of cynicism towards those who wield the power of one's own state. I've never really had to adjust to incessant NewSpeak or suppress any possibility of ThoughtCrime, like clearly Vlad (and at least some of his predecessors) has spent time trying to nurture and/or demand in His people.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 12, 2022, 01:26:13 am »

The fact that Pakistan now gets to examine one of India's missiles probably softens the blow.  Glad to hear both countries being mature about this.

It's miserable to know that any false flag attack is probably moreso aimed at producing more propaganda to keep the Russian people in their place supporting the war, but if there's even the slightest sliver of a chance that these chemical weapons are being rolled out to try and make themselves look better in the eyes of the rest of the world, I just find that funny.

I can see you dragging those chemical weapons behind you, you know.
These aren't my chemical weapons, these are the enemy's chemical weapons.
That's clearly not the case.
The enemy is going to use these to gas civilians soon!
Why do you feel the need to refer to them as "The enemy", they have a name you know.
Only traitors to our glorious leader would refer to the enemy by anything other than the enemy! That is a crime!
Bu- hey, hey hey! Get away from the chemical weapons!
The enemy is about to use them!
GET AWAY FROM THA-

... Why. Why are you like this.
See. The enemy is using chemical weapons against us.
... You know, this is why no-one likes you.

I found this to be hilarious, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 98