Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68577 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #675 on: March 09, 2022, 03:40:22 pm »

You see, there's a strong ethnically Russian presence in Thailand, and Putin is afraid of the Nazis there, so he also invaded Thailand to protect the interests of "native" Russian speaking people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 09, 2022, 04:09:58 pm »

A fortnight and still no relief force for Mariupol to be seen.

Is it just a lack of guns? Because it can't be manpower. Reserves alone number in the 900,000s.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 09, 2022, 05:09:58 pm »

Russia closing itself for the rest of the world... isn't that how Fall of Men games start?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:57 pm »

I hate to sound like a broken record, but how about we don't speculate off a single tweet, or similarly unreliable information?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 09, 2022, 05:16:37 pm »

Is Russia really gonna pull out of the global internet tomorrow?
I have seen this repeated but all the sources point to a single unverified tweet, so far it doesn't seem very credible, but if it's true then it's terrible news.
Either way maybe we should start saying goodbye to our online russian friends.

I've been tracking this awfully more than I should be over the last 2 weeks, and I haven't seen anything credible suggesting that. There are various crackdowns and suppressions, but not literally pulling out of global internet.

(And as Palazzo says, there have been an awful lot of games of phone going on with twitter, even with some reputable people getting caught up in the moment.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 09, 2022, 05:30:16 pm »

IAEA director Rafael Grossi expresses great concern, because IAEA headquarters in Vienna suddenly lost all data communications with the Zaporizja nuclear plant.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 09, 2022, 06:35:52 pm »

Yeah, I had similar thoughts but more oriented towards the "what political gain could Putin gain by pushing troops into a meat-grinder?".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Russia and Belarus still have a limited conscription system and a question I have is, how many of the Russian invaders were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals and put into dangerous positions?

EDIT: Just read about the news that Russian conscripts among those captured, but still would ask, "how many of them were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals?"
I don't see how any of that checks out. E.g. US losses in Vietnam or Korea, by race, roughly match the general demographics of the population. In WWII blacks were preferentially kept in non-combat units because racism, duh. Or the fact that the vast majority of conscripts are too young to earn the label of a dissident, or even as much as develop concrete political opinions - you're talking kids right out of secondary education.
Where conscription discriminates, it's against the poorer strata of the population. Which are also the most susceptible to government propaganda.

The most charitable read on that is that is a misreading of "McNamara's Morons", officially called "Project 100,000", where Robert McNamara drastically slashed the minimum test score requirements for recruits and the draft in an attempt to make up a massive shortfall in available troops. This was not a "get rid of the undesirables" plan, but specifically a "we need more guys on the ground and think we can make do with these ones" one. Previous experience in WWII had found that soldiers below a certain intelligence threshold were absolutely useless, but McNamara thought they could make up for that with technology-based rote training.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 09, 2022, 06:47:58 pm »

The UK is looking for 4 soldiers, one a palace guard for Queen Elizabeth.
They think they might have gone to the Ukraine to fight.
The UK government fears that Russia might see it as a declaration of war.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 09, 2022, 08:28:47 pm »

The Russians aren’t going to see that as a declaration of war because if Britain has to get involved, the rest of the EU and the US now have an excuse to take a more active role in defending Ukraine. Russia are having enough problems with Ukraine, never mind the combined technology of the Westtm.

Putin’s an idiot, but not that type of idiot.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 09, 2022, 09:14:50 pm »

Making war over that would have one of two outcomes:

1. NATO sees it as an Article 5 attack and intervenes directly, putting the US Air Force, the US Navy's Air Force, the US Navy's Army's Air Force, the French Air Force, and the Royal Air Force immediately into the war, along with the US Army, the US Navy's Army, the French Army, and the British Army on the ground within a week. This would, assuming a conventinal war, result in total defeat within two weeks at most.

2. NATO doesn't see it as an article 5 attack and lets the UK go it alone. Which "only" gets the Royal Air Force and British Army directly involved, and would extend the time to total defeat by maybe two more weeks.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 09, 2022, 10:58:18 pm »

@Il Palazzo

@Lord Shonus
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 09, 2022, 11:21:35 pm »

Today, March 10, will likely be a really bad day. We'll have a meeting between Russian and Ukrainian foreign ministers and Russia nearly always does something major during negotiations.

Amphibious assault on Odesa? Massive air raid on Kyiv? First use of chemical weapons? Public executions of "nationalists" in Kherson? All of above?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2022, 02:36:41 am »

Might as well add the obligatory shitpost I made for elsewhere, as it'll fit for when Russia inevitably blames Ukraine for not being receptive to terms offered while the Russians are distracted committing warcrimes.

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2022, 03:01:25 am »

Back on the topic at hand. I'm getting animated, as you said, about the possibility of getting even more caught in a war that started because some people decided that they want to show the world how much they are packing. A war that I want nothing to do with.

About the report:
If you take the Ukrainian Foreign Minister's tweet about it boils down to* "Heavy duty power line from Kyiv cut off -> back up generations work up to 48h -> potential for nuclear disaster -> rest of the world do something".

Even if you excuse the design problems (from an engineering pov) of having such a critical system rely on outside power sources due to the war, there is still quite a leap of logic between the back generators stopping to going full disaster. Of course due to the chosen medium (twitter) being what it is, there isn't any way for this leap to be explained in detail which make it susceptible to misinterpretation. As it is, it just sets another doomsday clock over some vague potential for disaster, concluding in an otherwise understandable, call to arms directed at the general public.

*I don't speak the language so, I had to do with google translate.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2022, 03:13:23 am »

Is Russia really gonna pull out of the global internet tomorrow?
I have seen this repeated but all the sources point to a single unverified tweet, so far it doesn't seem very credible, but if it's true then it's terrible news.
Either way maybe we should start saying goodbye to our online russian friends.
It's most likely not happening, all evidence points to DDOS protection measures. But thanks for your concern. :)
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 98