Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68560 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #660 on: March 09, 2022, 12:02:42 pm »

I think it's You Know What I Mean?
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 09, 2022, 12:04:18 pm »

"You Know What I Mean". Might be a bit archaic of an abbreviation/initialisation (pre-web '80s/'90s!), sorry. Or it's listed under I(f)YKWIM, IYS(ee)WIM or similar.

HTH, HAND.  :P

(Ninjaed!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:06:18 pm by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 09, 2022, 12:04:38 pm »

IWPCSAE

I wish people could stop abbreviating everything

I am a cunning linguist, but that doesn't mean you need to shave off everything.

EDIT: back to the topic. According to Ukraine, Russia bombed the children's hospital in Marioepol. It is feared that many children are crushed or trapped under the debris.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:09:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 09, 2022, 12:09:45 pm »

I think I saw a news cast about that, the news was showing the bodies. Or maybe it was a School.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2022, 12:13:53 pm »

You didn't need to edit that m8 I took no offense

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 09, 2022, 12:19:50 pm »

You didn't need to edit that m8 I took no offense

Re-read your edit. Yeah, it forced me to edit my response.
You snuck in serious stuff requiring a serious response.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 09, 2022, 12:39:23 pm »

This is either a bullshit excuse, a colossal failure on whoever designed and maintained such a system or a sensational report to stir up controversy. Any safety system, should have (back up) generators on site.
These things go wrong (see Fukushima), and it also sounds like those who know how to keep all backup elements ready and working are not being given free reign to have the site-wide access they normally would have. (The staff may be short of necessary down-time and food, too, to keep them at personal efficiency.)

If the backup generators are still operational/weren't hit by the assaulting fire/haven't had the fuel siphoned from them.

I don't think it's going to be a fatal (YKWIM) problem, but it might cut into the safety-buffer. If incoming power had been cut in peacetime, there'd be linesmen reconnecting it within hours, with additional equipment/fuel sent in as it was found necessary for the interim. Even if the people were available to do so, now they'd probably be crossing at least one front-line to accomplish their tasks. Shall we say that, situationally, it's "not ideal"?

Of course the situation is not ideal, of course the problem (most likely) wouldn't have happened if the invasion hadn't happened but the report by itself seems exaggerated. Coupled with the threat that a nuclear disaster poses, it's just too convinient as a tool to force public opinion.

In a semi-similar* situation, some days ago there was a convoy trying to flee from Ukraine. The actual members of that convoy reported that outside some village, someone blocked their path by firing a single "warning" shot and that they had to turn back. They didn't identify who shot or from where they got shot and there weren't any actual damage to the vehicles. Considering the situation, things turned out as well as one could hope and yet our local media reported the story as if they got caught in a firefight.

*similar in the vein of how something can be exaggerated to serve a narrative
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 09, 2022, 12:48:50 pm »

Yeah. We should all keep in mind that every player here is waging information warfare and people like us are the target. It's useful for Ukraine's cause to exaggerate the risks, it's convenient for the west to lambaste the Russians at every occasion, it's profitable for the news outlets to cry havoc. Regardless of whether the cause is just or not, we should take all such news with a grain of salt.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 09, 2022, 12:54:36 pm »

In the same time there's so much history between "bullshit excuse" and "Chernobyl" that it's very hard to stay confident in any report of "everything is fine".

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2022, 01:13:02 pm »

Can’t have a military coup if the military leadership is all dead
I'd previously had half a thought that some of the cannon-fodder losses by the Russians were 'deliberate', or at least typical Great Patriotic War zerg-rush-against-overwhelming-odds tactics (even though that shouldn't have been necessary), but I can't rationalise the reasoning behind this.

Except for the stalled convoys. Surely not, but still conceivably, engineered as such a tempting target for US-/whoever-led strikes so as to draw in the international community and 'prove' their own status as provacateurs to justify some pre-intended escalation. It's not a sane plan, but it is a plan. An attempted Xanatos-/Thanatos-Gambit, possibly.
Yeah, I had similar thoughts but more oriented towards the "what political gain could Putin gain by pushing troops into a meat-grinder?".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Russia and Belarus still have a limited conscription system and a question I have is, how many of the Russian invaders were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals and put into dangerous positions?

EDIT: Just read about the news that Russian conscripts among those captured, but still would ask, "how many of them were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals?"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 01:22:27 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 09, 2022, 01:45:51 pm »

((In response to Ulfarr's accusation of purely serving a narrative, which I wouldn't dismiss as being part of it, but...))

All I've seen as a 'report' is:
Ukrainian government reports that the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant has lost power due to damage to an high voltage power line to Kyiv. They state this could potentially impact the cooling of spent fuel assemblies and lead to nuclear discharge.
...unless you're saying it can not potentially impact the cooling (...etc), Ulfarr, I'm not sure what you're getting animated about.

I will confidently state that it can do this. That it's always a risk, though usually a minor one in modern times when old mistakes (Windscale, Three-Mile Island, Fukushima, etc, and Chernobyl itself of course) have been learnt from and caution is now the watchword in any mature nuclear-operator. Maybe more risky in 'up-and-coming' places with other concerns (Iran, NK...).

In an active war-zone, with prior incident-damage to look after and limited to whatever resources are already on site, yes, there's potential problems at the most basic level (the cooling) that could escalate to further problems.

Better to say this than to ignore it/do the "This is fine" thing. It might be worse at a more recently active power-plant (like Zaporizhzhia, which had all six reactors active within the last month and did have initially worrying damage done to some of its auxilliary infrastructure), or if the Sarcophagus[1] were not there to do its intended job.

[1] Not armoured against attack, but at least preventing further casual damage to the Soviet-era reactor buildings damaged in the original incident by careless invaders.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 09, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »

Yeah, I had similar thoughts but more oriented towards the "what political gain could Putin gain by pushing troops into a meat-grinder?".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Russia and Belarus still have a limited conscription system and a question I have is, how many of the Russian invaders were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals and put into dangerous positions?

EDIT: Just read about the news that Russian conscripts among those captured, but still would ask, "how many of them were identified by Putin's regime as supporting Putin's internal political rivals?"
I don't see how any of that checks out. E.g. US losses in Vietnam or Korea, by race, roughly match the general demographics of the population. In WWII blacks were preferentially kept in non-combat units because racism, duh. Or the fact that the vast majority of conscripts are too young to earn the label of a dissident, or even as much as develop concrete political opinions - you're talking kids right out of secondary education.
Where conscription discriminates, it's against the poorer strata of the population. Which are also the most susceptible to government propaganda.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 09, 2022, 03:08:20 pm »

About 7000 Russian tourists are stuck in Phuket, Thailand. They are unable to return to Russia because the flights are cancelled, and they have no money because their creditcards are no longer valid.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 09, 2022, 03:32:58 pm »

About 7000 Russian tourists are stuck in Phuket, Thailand.
IRTA "...7000 Russian troops..." and wondered how, by Stalin's left nipple, that particular situation had come to pass... ;)

There are tales of Western correspondents, normally long-term resident reporters in Russia, who have precautionarily left because of the potential threat of 15 years' jail-time. They're finding they're now cut off from their Russia-localised card-payment accounts. Probably applies to others who are based mostly on the one side of the Polonium Curtain but find themselves currently on the other, for all the best reasons.

And prior to the various VISA/SWIFT/etc sanctions there were a bunch of Ukrainian truck-drivers 'stranded' in a UK motorway service-station because their fuel-cards had stopped working. I think that was administrative, their home companies/service-providers being effectively closed for business and credit-lines closed, rather than ill-targetted sanctioning. Apparently locals (and some translators) were mobilised to keep them fed and heated and otherwise kept from feeling too abandoned. Not sure if the situation improved, since. It got its two-minutes of being a "feel-good in adversity" news-slot at the time, then far more widespread news would have been priority.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 98