Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68614 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #645 on: March 08, 2022, 10:13:06 pm »

US secretary of commerce warns Chinese companies that the US could take 'devestating action' against them if they defy Russian sanctions.

Now to not do so will be a loss of face for China... This has guaranteed Chinese support for Russia. As stated, hopefully it remains economic support only...
Good point, thankful it's only the Secretary of Commerce. I didn't even know we had one of those.
US and China's international relations are... complicated.
The statement was probably made because the US already sees China as possibly defying the US sanctions.
I think both countries know they don't really want to cut economic ties long term, so I doubt it'll go the same as with Russia.
China's not actually invading anyone, and their blank check to Putin bounced.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 09, 2022, 05:12:13 am »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/9/chinas-xi-beijing-supports-peace-talks-between-russia-ukraine

"In a statement, a German government spokesperson said: “Chancellor Scholz, President Macron, and President Xi agreed to fully support all negotiations aimed at a diplomatic solution to the conflict."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:36:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2022, 06:29:04 am »

Ukrainian government reports that the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant has lost power due to damage to an high voltage power line to Kyiv. They state this could potentially impact the cooling of spent fuel assemblies and lead to nuclear discharge.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2022, 06:58:56 am »

So what's a -realistic- way to end the war ?
Donbass region becomes a separate country to guarantee Russia another satellite nation with that new Cold War era Putin has launched ?
Ukraine immediately joins the European Union to guarantee its future peace through  the Mutual Defense Clause ?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2022, 07:13:23 am »

Donbass and Luthank the other one are disposable to Russia. They were likely supported as diplomatic leverage to force Ukraine to give up Crimea. Ie, by creating the situation where Russia's demands are "free regions and Russian Crimea" and Ukraine's demands are "keep regions and keep Crimea" they can force a "compromise" where Ukraine gets to keep the two breakout regions, Russia keeps Krim. Crimea is where the natural gas reserves is at and the key to getting the important oil finds in the Black Sea.
Love, scriver~

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 09, 2022, 07:25:08 am »

So what's a -realistic- way to end the war ?
Donbass region becomes a separate country to guarantee Russia another satellite nation with that new Cold War era Putin has launched ?
Ukraine immediately joins the European Union to guarantee its future peace through  the Mutual Defense Clause ?

This will be seen as a defeat in Russia and Putin knows that he won't be forgiven for such failure. So no, it isn't a realistic outcome
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2022, 08:47:42 am »

The only peacefuly way would be to have a change of regime in Russia or total global domination by it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 09, 2022, 09:12:35 am »

Uh, speaking of air force Poland has struck a deal to transfer its MiGs to the US (who will presumably then transfer them to Ukraine). The US will then give (maybe sell, oddly enough?) Poland some jets with "corresponding operational capabilities."
Current news is that there was no actual deal, as the US never agreed to the Polish proposal, and is not likely to due to escalation concerns.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:02 am »

Yeah, according to US officials Poland didn't tell them they were handing over the jets. It struck me as a hot potato deal where everybody wants somebody else to do it.

In other news, Russia has officially "discovered" that conscripts were sent into Ukraine after all (this after many conscripts were captured by Ukrainian forces). They now claim all conscripts have been sent back out and no more remain in Ukraine, of course.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 09, 2022, 10:34:05 am »

Yeah, according to US officials Poland didn't tell them they were handing over the jets. It struck me as a hot potato deal where everybody wants somebody else to do it.

In other news, Russia has officially "discovered" that conscripts were sent into Ukraine after all (this after many conscripts were captured by Ukrainian forces). They now claim all conscripts have been sent back out and no more remain in Ukraine,  of course.

In body bags?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 09, 2022, 10:35:11 am »

We should really give the Ukraine cruise missiles next to the anti-tank and anti-air missiles, so they can target Russian cities for as long as Russians keep bombing their cities. Or perhaps a few NATO nuclear subs can go rogue and join the Ukrainian army in a plausible deniability kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlgUx7_aN0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 10:39:29 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2022, 10:48:54 am »

Or perhaps a few NATO nuclear subs can go rogue and join the Ukrainian army in a plausible deniability kind of way.

The only way that would be plausibly deniable is if NATO were to join Russia against the rogue subs  :P

Ukrainian government reports that the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant has lost power due to damage to an high voltage power line to Kyiv. They state this could potentially impact the cooling of spent fuel assemblies and lead to nuclear discharge.

This is either a bullshit excuse, a colossal failure on whoever designed and maintained such a system or a sensational report to stir up controversy. Any safety system, should have (back up) generators on site.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2022, 11:39:04 am »

This is either a bullshit excuse, a colossal failure on whoever designed and maintained such a system or a sensational report to stir up controversy. Any safety system, should have (back up) generators on site.
These things go wrong (see Fukushima), and it also sounds like those who know how to keep all backup elements ready and working are not being given free reign to have the site-wide access they normally would have. (The staff may be short of necessary down-time and food, too, to keep them at personal efficiency.)

If the backup generators are still operational/weren't hit by the assaulting fire/haven't had the fuel siphoned from them.

I don't think it's going to be a fatal (YKWIM) problem, but it might cut into the safety-buffer. If incoming power had been cut in peacetime, there'd be linesmen reconnecting it within hours, with additional equipment/fuel sent in as it was found necessary for the interim. Even if the people were available to do so, now they'd probably be crossing at least one front-line to accomplish their tasks. Shall we say that, situationally, it's "not ideal"?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 09, 2022, 11:56:26 am »

What is an YKWIM? Google only comes up with youtube music, nothing related to nuclear plants
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 09, 2022, 12:02:14 pm »

Can we create a nuclear power exclusion zone about the size of Russia? Because their track record of maintaining and respecting such powerful technology is garbage. Their mishandling of nuclear power is a greater threat to the world than any sized army or, honestly, nukes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98