Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68636 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #630 on: March 08, 2022, 02:28:19 pm »

In my work one of the designers is a ukranian single mom, we all pitched in and the company also put a lot to evacuate her and his kid to Poland. Thankfully she and her kid are safe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 08, 2022, 02:28:26 pm »

Sure.  I meant that NATO couldn't do something decisive like send the USAF over to shoot down Russian aircraft, or deploy American infantry or tank divisions to directly engage Russian forces.  We've proxied what we can through them and provided intel, but we haven't come to the rescue like we theoretically could have.  Everybody knows we can't, including him, but it doesn't mean he can't be upset about it.

I'll admit I haven't followed all of his speeches and dialogues, but hasn't he repeatedly called us out for just watching instead of doing more?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 08, 2022, 02:33:38 pm »

Uh, speaking of air force Poland has struck a deal to transfer its MiGs to the US (who will presumably then transfer them to Ukraine). The US will then give (maybe sell, oddly enough?) Poland some jets with "corresponding operational capabilities."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 08, 2022, 02:40:19 pm »

Uh, speaking of air force Poland has struck a deal to transfer its MiGs to the US (who will presumably then transfer them to Ukraine). The US will then give (maybe sell, oddly enough?) Poland some jets with "corresponding operational capabilities."
I wouldn't be surprised if many former Warsaw Pact countries do the same, or other past beneficiaries of Soviet military aid.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2022, 02:44:21 pm »

The most important thing is that the Russian blitzkrieg has failed. It is now impossible to win without raising stakes.

Ukraine is mobilizing, Ukraine is switching to the war economy, Ukraine is evacuating non-combatants to other countries. Ukraine is getting aid in form of money, weapons, supplies, and even volunteers.  You can't defeat and occupy a large mobilized country with a 250K invasion force. To win, Russia needs to either go full mobilization itself or use WMDs.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2022, 02:51:08 pm »

The New York Times has also recalled it's reporters from Russia, saying the new law makes it impossible to work safely there.

Meanwhile, The Moscow Times has fled Russia and has moved it's operations to Amsterdam.

Perhaps we should start arresting oligarchs, so we have a trading stock to exchange for imprisoned journalists.

EDIT: In other news from Amsterdam, the Russian-orthodox parochy of St.Niklas of Myra (who is know as Sinterklaas in the Netherlands folklore) was vandalized by Putin supporters. A handful of big Z's was spraypainted on it.

Earlier this week, the parochy declared it no longer wished to be part of the Russian orthodox church, and the Russian patriarch Kirill, whose name they henceforth refuse to mention in mass after the unholy father put the blame for the invasion of Ukraine with the West.
They have joined the Ukrainian orthodox church.

Tuesday mass has been cancelled, they don't feel safe.

EDIT2: The UN has fallen victim to Putin's censorship.
UN members and staff have been told that they are no longer allowed to use the words 'war' or 'invasion', and are urged to instead use 'conflict' and 'military attack', to keep an appearance of neutrality and not frustrate Russia.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:02:29 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2022, 03:26:36 pm »

Chances are it's just bot nets doing it too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2022, 03:28:48 pm »

Other games that made anti-war statements, setup charities to help victims of the war like "This War of Mine"

Unrelated: this game was actually the first thing to come into my mind after hearing about the Russian invasion.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 08, 2022, 04:35:22 pm »

Ukrainian refugees in the Netherlands must have gotten quite a scare last monday.
Every 1st monday of the month, at 12:00, our air raid sirens sound.
That's just a test.

But the newly arrived Ukrainians must have surely thought the nukes were falling.
As far as I can tell, no one died of heart attack.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2022, 05:23:45 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if many former Warsaw Pact countries do the same, or other past beneficiaries of Soviet military aid.

Poland has already been transitioning off of ex-Soviet planes like MiGs toward US-made F-16s and F-35s, which are both more capable and easier to integrate into a NATO environment. So this is only accelerating the timetable and all the necessary training and logistic changes are already in progress. Be a bit more difficult for a nation that hasn't already started to do the same.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2022, 06:07:15 pm »

Apparently Zelensky has ‘cooled down’ on NATO membership for Ukraine.
Opening the door for future compromise with Russia? Is Russia even open to compromise at this point any more?

IIRC it was kind of mistranslated

And TBH I dont think that´s something he can compromise on in a way that Putin will like.

Particularily given that Putin withdrawing now doesnt mean he wont do it again in 1 or in 5 years
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 08, 2022, 06:09:57 pm »

The only two other NATO ex-Warsaw pact countries that still operate the same type of aircraft as Ukraine are Bulgaria and Slovakia. These are low numbers too (about dozen each). But where Poles already have F-16s in service (no F-35s yet), comprising about 2/3rds of the combat aircraft, both Bulgaria and Slovakia have only placed orders on F-16s. Delivery will take time, and training pilots and ground crew to work with new machines will take even more.
While Poland will also have to wait for replacement F-16s to be delivered, as apparently there's a backlog on the US side, their Migs have already effectively been grounded for some time now, following a series of crashes.
So Poland is only giving away their emergency aircraft, so to speak. While Bulgaria and Slovakia would have to strip themselves of all their air force for the foreseeable future by giving away their Migs and Sus. That's not going to happen.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 08, 2022, 06:34:21 pm »

US secretary of commerce warns Chinese companies that the US could take 'devestating action' against them if they defy Russian sanctions.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 08, 2022, 07:12:54 pm »

To be fair, I'd much rather live with an economic war than a shooting war.  For even though nobody's using the language, this is basically already a world war, just being fought with economics rather than munitions.

Will be interesting if the history books note it as such.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 08, 2022, 09:01:35 pm »

US secretary of commerce warns Chinese companies that the US could take 'devestating action' against them if they defy Russian sanctions.

Now to not do so will be a loss of face for China... This has guaranteed Chinese support for Russia. As stated, hopefully it remains economic support only...
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98