Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68678 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2022, 08:00:56 am »

The news appears to be 'it's a giant clusterfuck', not 'Russians intentionally send evacuees onto mines'.
Quote from: bbc news
Dominik Stillhart, director of operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), has been speaking with BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Asked what's gone wrong with so-called humanitarian corridors, he said they had been talking to both sides "for days", but problems remained confirming the detail of any ceasefire agreement - to allow civilians out of bombarded cities.

Stillhart said the challenge was to get the two parties to an agreement that is "concrete, actionable and precise".

He added that so far there had only been agrements "in principle", which had immediately broken down because they lacked precision, regarding routes and who can use them.

Illustrating his point, he said some ICRC staff had tried to get out of Mariupol along an agreed route on Sunday, but soon realised "the road indicated to them was actually mined".

"That is why it is so important that the two parties have a precise agreement for us then to be able to facilitate it on the ground."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2022, 08:03:19 am »

Mined as in created or mined as in collapsed?
Mined as in landmines.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:10:58 am by Bralbaard »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2022, 08:04:11 am »

Russia has told Ukraine it is ready to halt military operations "in a moment" if Kyiv meets a list of conditions, the Kremlin spokesman said on Monday.

Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was demanding that Ukraine cease military action, change its constitution to enshrine neutrality, acknowledge Crimea as Russian territory, and recognise the separatist republics of Donetsk and Lugansk as independent states. (Reuters)

Heh, no full demilitarization and denazification anymore... I wonder why...

Also, they can take this demands and follow the Russian warship
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 07, 2022, 08:12:48 am »

From what I am reading in the news it seems like Russia is trying to make the evacuation corridors go only into Putin's control. That seems to me to be forcing the refugees to choose between the danger of remaining or becoming hostages to be used against their own villages.

Epictetus says and I paraphrase that Diogenes told the aggressor at the time, the Persian King, that the Athenians will never be his because they are like fish: grasp them and they die. That is why they took to their navies to fight and that is why I suggest to make these Ukrainians not fish, but birds.

EDIT: I just saw the post above me. I will take a look at it when I see it on the news but Ukrainians should decide for Ukraine.

EDIT2:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/6/russia-ukraine-us-mulls-oil-ban-liveblog
18 mins ago (12:54 GMT)
Ukraine to hold next bond auction on Tuesday

Ukraine will on Tuesday hold the next auction of local one-year bonds to raise money for its fight against invading Russian forces, the country’s finance ministry has announced.

After Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24, the Ukrainian government said it hoped to raise about $1.36bn through new bond issues. It raised 8.1 billion hryvnias ($273m) in its first such auction last week.

EDIT3:
15 mins ago (12:57 GMT)
Russia sustaining ‘huge losses’: Analyst

The military situation in Ukraine did not change radically over the weekend, according to Nikolay Mitrokhin, a Russia expert and researcher at Germany’s Bremen University.

Mitrokhin told Al Jazeera there had been limited Russian attacks near the key southeastern port city of Mariupol and in the eastern region of Luhansk and Ukrainian counterattacks near the northeastern city of Kharkiv.

“There is a general feeling that after 12 days of fighting both sides exhausted their resources,” he said.

Some of Russia’s vehicles – including tanks and armoured personnel carriers – have become stuck in heavy mud or have run out of fuel, Mitrokhin added.

Amid the issues, Moscow is now concentrating more forces on the Ukrainian border ready for a second offensive, he said. Meanwhile, Ukraine’s military equipment is scattered nationwide, Mitrokhin added.

But while Ukraine has tens of thousands of battle-tested servicemen and volunteers to call on, Russia “faces a crisis with decent infantry,” he said.

“There aren’t many cadres with combat experience,” Mitrokhin added, noting that Moscow was sustaining “huge losses”.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:58:23 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 07, 2022, 08:13:44 am »

Also note that all the 'evacuation corridors' lead into Russian territory and Belarus. Refugees are not allowed to go West
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 07, 2022, 08:59:16 am »

Yes, I misnamed them humanitarian corridors in my last post and fixed it to say evacuation corridors.

EDIT: From Al Jazeera livethread

Russia will stop offensive ‘in a moment’ if Ukraine meets demands, Kremlin says

Russia has told Ukraine it is ready to halt its offensive “in a moment” if Kyiv meets a list of conditions, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has said.

Peskov told the Reuters news agency that Moscow was demanding that Ukraine cease military action and change its constitution to enshrine neutrality.

The Kremlin also wants Kyiv to acknowledge the annexed Crimean Peninsula as Russian territory and recognise the self-proclaimed separatist republics of Donetsk and Luhuansk in Ukraine’s east as independent states, he added.

Peskov told Reuters all the demands had been formulated and announced during the first two rounds of talks between Russian and Ukrainian delegations, which took place last week.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:07:03 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 07, 2022, 09:20:28 am »

Also note that all the 'evacuation corridors' lead into Russian territory and Belarus. Refugees are not allowed to go West

I imagine they will ship all the refugees to a refugee camp in the north of Siberia, and have them forcibly settled there. They did similar things to the Crimean Tatars in the past.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 07, 2022, 09:32:43 am »

In just the past 12 hours, 200000 refugees have fled the Ukraine.
This brings the total to 1.75 million. Most went to Poland (1 million), the rest walked into Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and Moldavia.

About 200000 have travelled on to the EU so far. They can do so freely, just like EU residents, because of Ukraine's association treaty with the EU.

My neighbor's girlfriend just opened her house to a Ukrainian mother with 3 kids. She had room to spare, since she hasn't been living there for years now (she stays with my neighbor), so they can stay there as long as they need.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 07, 2022, 09:53:02 am »

Another blow has been dealt to the Russian economy.
Three of the largest accounting firms in the world, KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) and Ernst and Young (EY) are now also leaving Russia. Of the big four, only Deloitte hasn't decided on a course of action yet.

A few more blows like this, and Russia will be thrown back into prehistoric barter times.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 07, 2022, 10:11:45 am »

1990s: "Welcome, all ex-Soviet states, to the Free World. We shall help you get used to this transition."

Intervening time: ... things happen ...

Now: "Bad Russia!" *smacks it on nose with rolled-up newspaper*

(I've written the gist of the above a number of times, over the last few days. If you're reading this, it turns out I finally didn't back out of posting this highly abbreviated version at the last minute!)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 07, 2022, 11:28:17 am »

Now, of course, is 1984 in Russia.
Eh, I don't *think* Russia can sustain it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2022, 12:38:16 pm »

The US believes Russia has now committed roughly 100% of the pre-staged forces into Ukraine.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 07, 2022, 12:45:43 pm »

/insert mashed-up "Excellent..."/”Release the hounds!" Simpsons meme here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2022, 01:04:54 pm »

Sounds like it's time to invade Russia from the East! :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 98