Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68677 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »

We kind of are at this point though, but that’s only cause they struck first.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2022, 06:11:22 pm »

War in a nutshell, as well as what few options there are to try and stop war without war, it seems: SOMEONE suffers for it, and more often than not everyone loses. :v
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2022, 06:24:44 pm »

The way I imagine it, sanctions are like crushing someone with a bulldozer feet first. It'll be the feet (the humble, poorer, working class people) that get crushed first; then the torso (the slightly more wealthy and educated middle class) that get crushed next; and then FINALLY it'll get to the head (the elite, the oligarchs, the ruling class). Though by that point the person getting bulldozed would already be dead, so it feels more like a coercion tactic to force the lower and middle class to rebel first before they get crushed.

The downside of this is that if they don't rebel, or any rebellion is squashed, then all you did was help remove all the dissidents for the ruling class.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 06, 2022, 06:42:59 pm »

If their economy is fucked they cant wage war. That is also the point of sanctions. Probably moreso than regime change per se.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 06, 2022, 07:10:43 pm »

I'd guess a bit of both, honestly. After all, if Putin regarded the ability of the Russian army to wage war effectively as important, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #575 on: March 06, 2022, 07:48:05 pm »

(removed some posts - it looks like the situation was resolved but they were still being reported.  sorry for any unrelated posts I removed in the middle of it!)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:49:39 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2022, 07:55:13 pm »

Here's a good interview on CNN with a reporter of one of the shut down Russian medias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOl8WtjOO4I

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2022, 11:01:57 pm »

So far today, more than 2000 3500 4300 people were arrested in Russia for protesting the war.
Since the start of the conflict, more than 11000 12500  13300 Russians have been arrested.

I still fail to understand why Western media is even paying attention to this. We are talking about the population of 144M. Those thousands are nowhere near statistical significance. And them getting arrested changes nothing, there are no benefit for anyone.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2022, 11:21:26 pm »

So far today, more than 2000 3500 4300 people were arrested in Russia for protesting the war.
Since the start of the conflict, more than 11000 12500  13300 Russians have been arrested.

I still fail to understand why Western media is even paying attention to this. We are talking about the population of 144M. Those thousands are nowhere near statistical significance. And them getting arrested changes nothing, there are no benefit for anyone.
It represents an increasing crackdown on public dissent against the current regime.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2022, 11:23:32 pm »

Because Russian's don't usually protest like this due to how heavily the state cracks down on it. It shows that the people view this as one of the least popular things Russia has ever done.

Though the number is small, it is growing. It will continue to grow as more and more people lose their jobs and livelihoods to the sanctions.

I know you want the Russians to don suicide vests and bomb the Kremlin, but you gotta think realistically. It is reasonable to expect people to sacrifice themselves for their countrymen, but it is not reasonable to expect them to sacrifice themselves for strangers. But who knows, you may get your wish eventually. We all know what happened when Tsar Nicholas failed to invade Japan.

Patience my friend. Russia is bleeding horrendously right now, but when you're the size of an elephant, it takes a while before you start to feel woozy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 11:28:15 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 07, 2022, 12:25:39 am »

Meanwhile, Brent oil is $130. World economy is so screwed...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 07, 2022, 03:29:18 am »

Japan and the VS are researchin the possibility of banning Russian oil and energy exports.

It scares me. If gas prices rise more here, I'll no longer be able to buy food or pay rent. So if the US does ban it, they should come up with something like a Marshall plan for poor people in Europe. We are going to need 10s if not 100s of billions.

(The Netherlands. One of the richest countries in the world, but also one of the biggest wealth gaps in the world. I live from disability pay, which is 'social minimum (70% of a 32h minimum wage job)'. Social minimum has not had a purchasing power correction for more than 40 years now. I live like a plant. I get water and some nutrients, and a pot. Last time I've been able to afford a holiday is 22 years ago. If my washing powder is out, I get a panic attack, because 10 euros for new washing powder is a huge sum of money to spend. I have no financial room for a gas price increase. Neither have about 500000 fellow dutch on social minimum. Gas prices already raised by corona, it was already expected that an average household will have a 1200 euro higher yearly bill for just gas and electricity. With the Ukraine war, this will increase even further.)

EDIT: TED interview with Yuval Noah Harari about the war in Ukraine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQqthbvYE8M
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:49:20 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2022, 06:14:21 am »

The Red Cross reports that the humanitarian corridors out of Mariupol had been mined by Russia.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2022, 07:34:14 am »

The Red Cross reports that the humanitarian corridors out of Mariupol had been mined by Russia.
What the hell
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98