Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68688 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #555 on: March 06, 2022, 03:49:25 am »

WHO confirms that the stink nazi Russians have attacked hospitals and care facilities.
WHO stresses that these attacks are in violation of medical neutrality and international humanitarian law.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 06, 2022, 04:52:05 am »

I found this wiki link while reading a news article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Russia

Here is the US one for comparison, I looked it up to be fair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

I'm not an expert on the subject but I thought it was a useful link to find in the news after reading this:
(just found this site after complaining in a thread a few months ago about not having a good resource for normal people to read about current event military stuff, can't remember if I had seen it before but I don't usually pay too much attention to military topics unless it's big in the news at the time; they are doing daily reports in their publications with more information than television usually has, but of course take it with a grain of salt if you prefer.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-5

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/explainer-russian-conscription-reserve-and-mobilization

In 2021, the Russian military started a new initiative to remedy its lack of a ready reserve, the Russian Combat Army Reserve (BARS-2021). BARS-2021 aimed to establish an active reserve by recruiting volunteer reservists for three-year contract service.[15] BARS-2021 operated on the same principle as US and NATO reserves, where reservists actively train and are compensated. The concept of BARS-2021 was that volunteer Russian reservists would regularly participate in monthly exercises and maintain their mobilization readiness while maintaining their civilian jobs.[16]

I may have misinterpreted that for this, but it sounds possible:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukraine-invasion-russian-conscripts-military-contracts-family

Parents of Russian conscripts who say they've lost communications with their loved ones are pleading with Kremlin officials for answers as to where family members have been sent amid concerns they have been forced to sign contracts to fight as part of President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, according to the report.

Olga Larkina, the director of Russia’s Committee of Soldiers’ Mothers, spoke to Russian investigative news outlet Meduza, describing how Russian conscripts – those fulfilling military enlistment requirements – had been pressured, or at times even forced to sign contracts to become soldiers for the Russian military.

"Mothers are telling us that their sons have been calling them and saying they’re being forced to sign contracts. We believe it’s wrong to force a conscript to become a contract soldier," Larkina said, according to the translated article. "The parents who have gotten in touch have told us their sons were just taken by military officers, stamped, and that’s it — now they’re contract soldiers."

I don't know if that form of contract falls under the Russian Civil Code or if it's completely seperate or treated differently which would make sense, but I did learn from an old website with limited information (so I am not sure if it is still accurate or even if it has some relation to the military service contracts) that for Russian Civil Code generally a contract becomes invalid under pressure. (again I don't know if this applies to the contract in the news article). I read that it is not allowed to force the making of a Civil Code contract unless otherwise provided by law.

This appears to be similar to the concept of nullification of agreements made "Under Duress" in the contract law of some other countries. In addition it appears that contracts in Russia can be voided through a process I know absolutely nothing about and damages can possibly be obtained in some instances, though again I don't know if any of that would be applicable especially with the phrase "unless otherwise provided by law." My apologies if any of my conjecture from search results is incorrect, I really know next to nothing about it except what was in those links and I may have been linking legal things together incorrectly due to knowing extremely little about it but that both involve the word "contract" at least... I checked because I did some small study of US contract law a few years ago and I was wondering if there was a similar Under Duress function, but I realized I am completely unqualified to even know where to start and it would take a long time assuming I could find legal sources in English.

EDIT: Many edits. I'm sad and angry to see what has happened; sad and angry for those Russians as well as Ukrainians and all the others who are victims of these events. I don't know how to say that better in a way that takes into better account of the costs of this war. I am sure with more time spent on this it may have been possible to attempt to be more eloquent and flowery, but as we are both human I hope concluding with the strength of a general principle of shared humanity will suffice for a reader. That said, I don't expect the war to end quickly from what I'm reading in the news, but I am no expert and stranger things have happened before.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:37:19 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 06, 2022, 04:56:46 am »

Hey everyone look at what the Serbs are doing: Pro-Russia Serbs march in Belgrade as country treads ever finer line between East and West

Serbia is the only other country I've seen where they're having large, public displays of support for Russia's invasion. They want to be Putin's little lapdogs almost as badly as Lukashenko.

Considering Russia is seen as one of the few international allies Serbia has as well as Serbia being on the receiving end of NATO bombardment multiple times for doing the exact same shit that Russia is doing now it's hardly a surprise to be seeing a reaction like this among some of the more zealous parts of the population.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 06, 2022, 05:30:16 am »

Does "z" have any specific meaning or is it just an identification mark?
It is a random identification mark, one of many

Allegedly:

Z - Eastern Front
Z in a square - Southern Front
V - Kyiv Front
O - Belorussians
X - Kadyrov's guys
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2022, 05:39:17 am »

I found this wiki link while reading a news article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Russia

Here is the US one for comparison, I looked it up to be fair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

I'm not an expert on the subject but I thought it was a useful link to find in the news after reading this:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/explainer-russian-conscription-reserve-and-mobilization

In 2021, the Russian military started a new initiative to remedy its lack of a ready reserve, the Russian Combat Army Reserve (BARS-2021). BARS-2021 aimed to establish an active reserve by recruiting volunteer reservists for three-year contract service.[15] BARS-2021 operated on the same principle as US and NATO reserves, where reservists actively train and are compensated. The concept of BARS-2021 was that volunteer Russian reservists would regularly participate in monthly exercises and maintain their mobilization readiness while maintaining their civilian jobs.[16]

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukraine-invasion-russian-conscripts-military-contracts-family

Parents of Russian conscripts who say they've lost communications with their loved ones are pleading with Kremlin officials for answers as to where family members have been sent amid concerns they have been forced to sign contracts to fight as part of President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, according to the report.

Olga Larkina, the director of Russia’s Committee of Soldiers’ Mothers, spoke to Russian investigative news outlet Meduza, describing how Russian conscripts – those fulfilling military enlistment requirements – had been pressured, or at times even forced to sign contracts to become soldiers for the Russian military.

"Mothers are telling us that their sons have been calling them and saying they’re being forced to sign contracts. We believe it’s wrong to force a conscript to become a contract soldier," Larkina said, according to the translated article. "The parents who have gotten in touch have told us their sons were just taken by military officers, stamped, and that’s it — now they’re contract soldiers."
So many of the soldiers are basically kids. It brings a smile to my face when an unit deserts or surrenders at the first opportunity.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2022, 07:58:16 am »

Vinnytsia hit by eight cruise missiles, allegedly launched from Transnistria.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2022, 08:42:24 am »

Vinnytsia hit by eight cruise missiles, allegedly launched from Transnistria.
Looks like those were Kalibrs and those are naval missiles. Most likely, Russians shot those over Transinistra to reduce the chance of them being intercepted.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 06, 2022, 08:44:48 am »

The way the war is going I'd be surprised if Transnistrians were specially keen on taking part in this.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 06, 2022, 09:29:37 am »

So far today, more than 2000 3500 4300 people were arrested in Russia for protesting the war.
Since the start of the conflict, more than 11000 12500  13300 Russians have been arrested.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 01:27:50 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 06, 2022, 01:34:44 pm »

IAEA expresses great concern about the nuclear power plants in Ukraine.
The Russians have disabled mobile networks and internet in the captured Zaporizja plant, so there is no more monitoring of it's situation.
IAEA has also lost communications with the staff of Tsjernobyl. Their last sitrep was that they were exhausted, not allowed to leave and working 10+ hour shifts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 06, 2022, 03:13:31 pm »

To make an analogy: It'd not be exactly fair to expect you to juryrig a recoil-less rifle to your wheelchair and expect you to run around as a cyborg tank destroyer, would it?

Not that we're saying anybody should do that, but it WOULD be metal as fuck.

The wheelchairs our nursing home uses have bars sticking out the back to prevent them tipping over backwards even, so it's feasible without doing backflips.

I would think a light machine-gun defending a bunker would be ideal for wheelchair combat though, you can't really do hit and run tactics when your max speed is 10kph and you get your ass kicked by the curb on the side of the road
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2022, 04:28:10 pm »

American Express, Visa and Mastercard ceased operations in Russia and Belarus.
This means that those creditcards that are handed out by Russian banks will no longer work outside of Russia, and cards from banks that are not Russian will no longer work in Russia.

Paypal also ceased it's operations in Russia.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2022, 05:40:53 pm »

Cash is king, but barter is ace.

I do feel quite bad for the Russian population in this... because for the most part, this indeed isn't their fault.  Sad thing is it feeds into the propaganda of how the world is out to get Russia...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 98