Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68740 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2022, 08:30:27 am »

CNN, Bloomberg, the German ZDF and ARD, the Dutch NOS and RTL followed the example of the BBC and stopped their work in Russia, to protect their journalists from 15 years prison.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2022, 09:42:23 am »

Putin just said that any country that tries to enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine will be considered as participating in the war.
Putin also said that a lot of the sanctions look like a declaration of war to him.

EDIT: Inb4 'cancel sanctions or we will nuke your mother'
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:00:20 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2022, 10:05:52 am »

yes, I think the Russian hate is way out of line. For sure the Russian troops, and even their commanders, are getting lied to, and believing the lies doesn’t make them bad people. It’s the people at the top who are at fault.

Seriously?
Do you mean that Russian pilots who drop unguided munitions on cities are just... misguided? Do you mean that MLRS crews that unload cluster munitions on residential areas are doing so because of some lie that turned their brains off and they can't know the result of their actions?
Do you mean that those Russians who celebrate Ukrainian civilian deaths on social networks are, in fact, decent people?
I was thinking of the Russian infantry, really, pushing hopelessly in, told so little and told to do so much, but you make a good point with the bombers.

As for the deaths being celebrated, I haven’t seen Russians on social media doing that, although I believe it, but those guys are just fuckers; every country has some. Something someone wrote about some of the American right, at the height of the Red Scare, I think, wearing “nuke ‘em all, let God sort ‘em out” or similar pins has really stuck with me as an example of political idiocy from non-politicians.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2022, 10:07:43 am »

Putin also added that if Ukrainians keep fighting back, they 'risk losing their statehood, and they will have themselves to blame'.

So, no more 'limited operation to demilitarize and denazify', he dropped his mask and showed his true intent, to annex Ukraine.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2022, 01:05:29 pm »

Meanwhile, Mariupol and other cities evidently being shelled again, in particular the evac corridors.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2022, 02:36:48 pm »

(toad-edit: deleted various posts before this post)

There comes a point where you do indeed have to decide to risk self and family to fight evil.  That whole "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing" quote.  Of course I realize it's easy to say that from the comfort of my desk, but the reality is with nuclear missiles there's not really anywhere that's "comfortable."  So what I can I do? Will sending money actually do anything? I don't know how to physically get food or electricity or water to the people that need it, and it's not a question of money - how will it actually get there?

I think the big tension right now is that Evil has nuclear weapons and is apparently hell-bent on finding an excuse to use them.  I'm sure the military leaders of the world are trying to figure out how they can use the force that would end this easily without having Putin call for nukes.  I can only imagine the discussions between the Russian generals and the other counterparts - I'm sure the question "would you really launch the nukes if the order came?" has been asked.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to be a Russian general or nuke operator - that's some serious stress, to wonder if you'd be asked to be a part of such destruction.  One can only hope that it would be stressful, and that those posts aren't filled with people who just love to see explosions even if they'll lose too...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:43:15 pm by Toady One »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2022, 02:43:57 pm »

I think everyone is on edge really. Like last night in ameripol I posted info without even looking into it until way after, and it turns out it was from like 2012 and super old info being spread as new stuff. But it really got me last night cause I really thought it was new development. But I think a situation like this brings out a lot of tension on all sides.

My opinion is I see a huge amount of unhappiness with the war with russians, risking prison (or worse) to demonstrate against it. But in the end, its probably really the oligarchs who can actually do anything. Its equivalent to in gaming terms...the shareholders at blizzard never kicking out bobby kotick and he'll probably work at microsoft next, despite everyone being unhappy about it, the people in power (is my point) is who to blame inside russia and it is up to them to do anything, more than the people themselves. If its like bobby kotick, he is gonna probably end up at microsoft despite all the "little" people against it, despite large (online) protests against him and how much hate he gets. Same with most situations in most nations, people can rise up, but in the end most of the time the top people in power are the ones who can do anything in the end (I'm sure people can revolt and rise up successfully, but its a very hard long bloodbath on both sides, and you really need the military to be on your side, and the military is (almost) ALWAYS for the government so its almost a nonfactor unless the military itself revolts, which is another thing all together and kinda brings its own issues with military rule and all that).

Or in other words...like I don't blame north koreans for their nation, but the people in power over there.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:46:08 pm by The_Explorer »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 05, 2022, 02:45:30 pm »

There’s a report going around saying that one of the Ukrainian negotiators at the Belarus peace talks was killed by the Ukrainian intelligence agency after he resisted arrest on the suspicion of treason.
Like what
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 05, 2022, 03:45:50 pm »

Also isn't this Russophobic backlash kinda a bit startling to anyone else?
This university in Italy was going to 'postpone' a course on Dostoyevsky because he was Russian ffs.
Liquor stores are refusing to sell Russian vodka..
Hollywood refuses to open its biggest films in Russia
I mean... I hate Putin and his mafia-state kleptocrat buddies as much as anyone else with a brain but this is reminding me of the burst of anti-Asian hate that cropped up at the beginning of the pandemic.
(Not read other opinions about this yet... this is just flash opinion from me, which a little more thought might change - or pursuasive arguments otherwise. But it covers the "why are we doing this", whether it's ultimately good or not.)

...but this is just gut-feeling. Uses a lot more words to explain than it seemed to internalise as.

And I'm not sure if I've been a witting or unwitting consumer of anything Russian (actually or metaphorically) that I could actual boycott right now. Possibly some gas that happened to be in the pipes, by general intermixing and diffusion, if it's not just all gas that isn't elsewhere because the Russian gas is there.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2022, 04:40:15 pm »

Christo Grozev from Bellingcat claims to have received a letter from an alleged FSB whistleblower. Authenticity is uncertain, but Grozev claims to have checked it with FSB and ex-FSB contacts, who think it's genuine.

I grabbed a translation from Reddit:

Spoiler: Letter (long) (click to show/hide)

Shit's fucked, if true.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 06, 2022, 12:09:20 am »

(toad-edit: response to removed post removed)

Back to the actual topic. Russian advance is losing momentum. Yes, soon several cities will become Allepo-like (Mariupol is the most likely candidate) and they'll likely capture a few more strategic objects like large power stations but capturing Kyiv or invading into Western Ukraine becomes an increasingly impossible task. Their invasion force faces attrition and will need to be replaced with fresh troops, so (partial) mobilization is in order. Or Russia will start using WMD

My biggest fear is treason (or simply weakness) from the Ukrainian government. Any kind of ceasefire (apart from one that includes removal of all Russian troops) will be awful news because Russian will use this to fix their logistics, dig up, do neccesarry counter-insurgency measures, bring in reserves and prepare for the next attack.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:44:48 pm by Toady One »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 06, 2022, 01:03:54 am »

Hey everyone look at what the Serbs are doing: Pro-Russia Serbs march in Belgrade as country treads ever finer line between East and West

Serbia is the only other country I've seen where they're having large, public displays of support for Russia's invasion. They want to be Putin's little lapdogs almost as badly as Lukashenko.

Back to the actual topic. Russian advance is losing momentum. Yes, soon several cities will become Allepo-like (Mariupol is the most likely candidate) and they'll likely capture a few more strategic objects like large power stations but capturing Kyiv or invading into Western Ukraine becomes an increasingly impossible task. Their invasion force faces attrition and will need to be replaced with fresh troops, so (partial) mobilization is in order. Or Russia will start using WMD

I wonder what the probability of a coup on Putin becomes as this grinds on. Lyudmila Narusova, a senator in the Russian upper house, admitted that conscripts are in the war and are taking huge losses: in one unit, out of 100, 4 survived. meanwhile, Peskov, Putin’s spokesman, encourages “everyone to unite around the president.”

(toad-edit: removed a response to removed posts)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:45:56 pm by Toady One »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 06, 2022, 01:57:42 am »

Gymnast Ivan Kuliak caused outrage on Saturday by wearing a Russian war symbol on his shirt while sharing a podium with a Ukrainian rival.

Former Russian junior champion Kuliak had just finished third behind winner Ukraine's Illia Kovtun in the parallel bars at a World Cup event in Doha.

And as the gymnasts were pictured standing shoulder to shoulder to collect their medals, clearly visible was a letter 'Z' taped across the middle of Kuliak's shirt.

And then we hear. "Why are you kicking Russian athletes out? It is unfair! Sport isn't about politics."
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 06, 2022, 02:31:00 am »

Does "z" have any specific meaning or is it just an identification mark?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 06, 2022, 03:08:34 am »

Canada has called on any Canadian living in Russia to leave the country, because they cannot assure their safety.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 98