Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69225 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #375 on: March 01, 2022, 11:44:36 am »

and any holding companies they may have set up to hide their identities, he said.

It's probably not an issue unless your billionaire uncle is stashing properties in your name.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 01, 2022, 11:54:22 am »

I guess now is not the time to have an uncle or aunt in Russia that's friendly with Putin.

Sort of related: several friends who've migrated from Russia (including one of my housemates) have been lately facing more discrimination than before where I live. All of them are against Putin and horrified by the war, so it really sucks they have to face bigotry. Don't know if this is a general trend or what, but I really hope people stopped directing their anger at Russians who're not responsible for the actions of Putin and company.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 01, 2022, 12:07:20 pm »

A lot of Russians unfortunately still fall under the sway of Putin's propganda machine even after traveling beyond the border. If I had to count the amount of times one has told me in person that what Putin did to Ukraine in 2014 is a good thing...

I hope the bigotry hasn't been too harsh, but the sad truth is that an oppressed minority is going to feel a little jittery among their oppressors.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 01, 2022, 12:21:20 pm »

If anyone wants to help Ukraine with donations, here you can find ways to do so without getting scammed
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 01, 2022, 02:06:49 pm »

The mother company for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, also named Nord Stream 2, has requested deferral of payments, which is often the first step in filing for bankrupcy.

The company is based in Switzerland, but it's owner is the Russian company Gazprom.

Nord Stream 2 has announced it will go to court for reimbursement.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2022, 04:49:07 pm »

Well, I'm wondering if US is going to get more militarily involved. We'll see when Biden does his speech. Ukraine has repeatedly asked for other nations to be more directly involved, or at least that is what I've read...way too much conflicting info everywhere for there to be anything concrete. It really may turn into WW3 though if we directly get involved.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2022, 06:43:08 pm »

I was going to sleep until the State of the Union, but the posts I made above gnawed at me and I couldn't. I think that I was far too angry to post well. In addition to the overly foul language I feel that I said divisive and mean things and more importantly brought internal politics into something that is far less partisan than most things and did so at a very bad time to do so. I do feel bad at type yelling at Biden through a computer monitor in a forums I doubt he frequents. I was really considering apologizing to Tucker for posting the wiki to 5th column after I mentioned him yet fuck that it's a bridge too far for me at least today. To be fair to him I only know what he said before the war started, not what he's saying now.

I do think that even if there is no fly zone right away, that the preperation in case it is needed should be made ready (I have no idea how long it takes to have ground crews and maintenence gubbins ready). I also think having an army on the Western border of Ukraine would be useful in backing up Ukraine, but while I understand it's not as easy as I make it sound it probably also takes time to put it together if you feel you need a corridor or something. I apologize for not posting simply that the first time instead of a shrill rant.

I also believe I made some false statements, for example about twenty seconds after I laid down to sleep the Polish representitive to something, the EU I think, was asked about Polish government thoughts on ground troops (maybe no fly zone too can't remember) and said they did not support it today. I think I said in my earlier post that Eastern European Nato allies would prefer readying a counter invasion army which appears to have been quite wrong, and it was wrong of me to say that without checking first.

I've heard some pondering on an off ramp for Putin. At least the very start of that is simple, the fighting needs to stop and that will probably take a withdrawal of Russian forces unless one side capitulates, and it looks to be a long costly and bloody war for both sides if that happens. Until then there is no off ramp, but it's accessible at any time. It's not like it's the end of the world to take such an off ramp, after all, not even a quagmire to be stuck in.

Afterwards, I don't know. I had a crazy idea to suggest a neutral buffer state in between Europe and Russia before the war started, but I never saw an opportunity. I might have floated it upon this internet if Putin had made a deal or even simply stopped pressuring Ukraine with a buildup, but in my opinion I shouldn't have at the time because of it seeming like a Dirty Document style suggestion. If Ukraine survives this war in it's current form without being able to associate or join the EU (or NATO but I think the rules disallow that when in conflict), then maybe?  but I also don't have a clue what Ukrainians would think about being such a buffer state if the EU doesn't associate/invite them and their opinion on that is more important than my distant and uninformed guess disguised as an opinion.

Here is the fictional setting where I got this silly idea, a state (created in the fictional example from portions of the two larger powers) between two mutually antagonistic nations, armed and supported by both sides.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/FRR

Finally LW I'm sorry for tripping out about the joke you made, it wasn't even bad and I expressed my opinion very poorly on a subject that would require far more words than the inelegant if not even insulting way I responded to you.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #382 on: March 01, 2022, 06:50:23 pm »

Aha don't worry man, I didn't even see it before you retracted it, and I already know you're a cool dude

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 01, 2022, 06:59:20 pm »

Hey thanks, you too
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2022, 07:17:58 pm »

Any media in Russia that uses the word 'invasion' or 'war' to describe the war in Ukraine is being banned and taken out of the air / internet.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2022, 07:26:48 pm »

How do they want it described then? I mean, if you're gonna be an asshole on the world stage, you might as well be proud of it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 01, 2022, 07:32:31 pm »

Russia state TV describes it as a limited military operation to take out nazis in Ukraine and protect the Ukrainian people.

Accoring to the news and background articles over here in the Netherlands, which are getting their info from reporters living in Russia and from Russians in the Netherlands that tell about contact with their families in Russia, about 65% of the Russian population apparently actually believes that.

Russia is one big orwellian dystopia atm.

Nieuwsuur (our daily news talkshow) had a report on it this evening. In Dutch, don't know if our NPO offers english subtitels, they might.
https://www.npostart.nl/nieuwsuur/01-03-2022/VPWON_1334456

EDIT: I think it only has dutch subtitels in the settings
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 07:37:23 pm by martinuzz »

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 01, 2022, 07:40:35 pm »

A lot of Russians unfortunately still fall under the sway of Putin's propganda machine even after traveling beyond the border. If I had to count the amount of times one has told me in person that what Putin did to Ukraine in 2014 is a good thing...

I hope the bigotry hasn't been too harsh, but the sad truth is that an oppressed minority is going to feel a little jittery among their oppressors.
Hell, some people in places like America or Australia, the scare-quotes “West”, people have fallen for it, saying things like, ‘Ukraine forced Russia’s hand by allying with the US’, or talking about how Russia’s concerns about nazis in Ukraine are legitimate.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2022, 09:02:58 pm »

I'm just too tempted to say this; is Russia going to break out the Metal Gear shit to try and win while saving face.

Come on. We know you have combat bots  It's the only propoganda win on the table. Putin won't make it out of this if they lose (at least without cyberattacking away the sanctions), so it's got to be on the table.

(i don't actually know they have combat bots)
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 01, 2022, 09:08:49 pm »

Hell, some people in places like America or Australia, the scare-quotes “West”, people have fallen for it, saying things like, ‘Ukraine forced Russia’s hand by allying with the US’, or talking about how Russia’s concerns about nazis in Ukraine are legitimate.

This is further confirmation that some political leaders are toddlers.  "You can't be their friend instead of mine! I'm going to beat you up now!"
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 98