Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69204 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2022, 05:57:07 am »

UK government wants to expropriate all villas and assets of Russian oligarchs, and possibly use them for sheltering Ukrainian refugees in the UK.

And yeah, bank runs were to be expected with Swift exclusion. They will hit the Russian population the hardest, especially those who have family working abroad to support them (or work in Russia via an international payroll construction, they can forget getting paid their wagese).

EDIT: Germany has announced that it will henceforth spend 2% of it's BNP on defense, and will also invest 100 billion euros in the military right away.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:39:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2022, 06:49:12 am »

UK government wants to expropriate all villas and assets of Russian oligarchs, and possibly use them for sheltering Ukrainian refugees in the UK.

Are they legally allowed to do such a thing? Steal from the rich that is. No need to use fancy words to obscure the reality of what’s going on.

It’s just that in America, this blatant violation of property rights would have been enough to spark another revolution. Especially since it’s a rich asshole.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2022, 07:12:30 am »

I would call it steal from the thieves, not steal from the rich. Russian oligarchs only got so rich by robbing the people of Russia (and expropriation of occupied territiry's companies, so, yeah, what goes round comes around)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:14:27 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2022, 07:13:08 am »

If the government does it and it's lawful then it's not actually theft, it's either confiscation or redistribution. Eat the rich and take their assets.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2022, 08:07:43 am »

It's like 99% of the new Venezuelan oligarchs. They are what we call enchufados (plugged) and got rich by being handed/stealling things from their rigthful owners.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2022, 08:10:22 am »

It’s just that in America, this blatant violation of property rights would have been enough to spark another revolution. Especially since it’s a rich asshole.
Literally untrue, we've clamped down on foreign money crap pretty recently (see the stuff re: Afghanistan's cash) with nary a peep from the general population.

Expropriating russian properties wouldn't even remotely be enough to spark a revolution. American xenophobia/dislike of russia in particular would cheerfully outweigh american fat cat fellation :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2022, 08:11:16 am »

It's one thing to just forcefully take money from people, however wealthy.

And it is another one to forcefully take money from who are essentially privlidged thieves.

They should take the assets.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2022, 08:21:38 am »

I never said anything against it, I’m a Ukrainian for christ’s Sake. I was just surprised.

Russian oligarch money has long been a corrupting influence in the UK and other nations in the west so I’m glad they’re finally rid of it.

Now if only they can do the same thing for Chinese money.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2022, 08:33:51 am »

So, I expect there will be a Good Guy narrative by the warhawk political leaders in many countries. They will start saying "if you do not support this increase to the military budget then you support the bad guys".

Three weeks ago, Germany rejected Ukraine's request for military aid due to their policy of not exporting weapons, today they agreed to send military aid, but three weeks ago this "fact check" article was posted on dw.com and indicates Germany has previously ignored its own ban on exporting weapons. I do not know what dw.com's reputation is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2022, 08:38:17 am »

Putin putting nuclear forces on alert in response to perceived Western threats.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2022, 09:12:04 am »

Jesus Christ.
The reason given for putting them the nuclear arsenal on high alert is that "NATO countries are making aggressive remarks about our country".

Quote from: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/27/world/russia-ukraine-war
Britain’s foreign secretary, Liz Truss, said on Sunday that she would support Britons who want to go to Ukraine to take up arms to resist the Russian invasion, in an intervention likely to escalate tensions with Moscow.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:20:58 am by martinuzz »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2022, 09:18:52 am »

'Why is everyone bullying me?'

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2022, 09:31:38 am »

I'm just punching the smallest, thinner guy in the class, why everybody gangs on me???
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2022, 09:45:17 am »

https://twitter.com/summerbrennan/status/1497932292840247300

As others have said, this is only meant to scare you, and a media contingent in love with catastrophe fetishism will amplify. They've been on alert, it's how this works. This threat has not increased. The announcement is just state psychological terrorism, Putin's favorite kind.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2022, 09:54:58 am »

Putin just got judo-chopped from the position of honorary president of the international judo federation: https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/putin-suspended-honorary-president-international-judo-federation-2022-02-27/
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 98