Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68817 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2022, 04:57:57 am »

Anonymous claims to have hacked the Russian Ministry of Defense and leaked the login credentials.
The passwords were one file with extremely poor formatting, poor encryption, and extremely weak passwords that was inside the files for a video player. Fake as balls. Anonymous is doing God's work but they just bit on a red herring.
Yeah there was a formal debunk on this

I imagine the point of the landgrab is to absorb a country with significant nukes so they can't resist in the future, and which has industry and resources that Russia can exploit to bolster their finances. Anyone know what happened to Crimea in the ensuing years after it was annexed? I assume you treat a conquered people like a conquered people and exploit them in the name of the Motherland.
Crimea is and was Russian-populated for the most part. It still wasn't right to take it, mind, but they aren't being oppressed more than the Russians in Russia.
You mean ethnical Russians? Because politically 70% of Crimea voted in favor of independence in 1991. I doubt very much the percentages REALLY changed, and I think the concern is political, not ethnical repression*.

Yeah, China is pretty dependent on Ukrainian grain.

EDIT: Russia asked Kazachstan to join in the fight. Kazachstan has refused. Kazachstan also made a statement that they do NOT recognize the seperatist republics.

Usually, Kazachstan is a loyal ally to Russia. But not this time.
Good news but why do you spell it like that? It's "Kazakhstan".
[/quote]
Dutch. He uses odd spellings all the time.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:02:29 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2022, 04:59:53 am »

I did mean ethnic Russians.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2022, 05:40:40 am »

Yeah, it's Kazachstan in Dutch

EDIT: Medvedev reacted to Russia being suspended from the European Council with saying that no longer being a part of that organisation could be a great opportunity to reinstate the death penalty in Russia.

I suppose Navalny and Pussy Riot will be executed soon.

Russia can't win this war without a major escalation

Soon we'll probably see how many warcrimes the UN will ignore simultaneously, I suspect.
The Ukrainian army and resistance is doing very, very well.
I'm scared though. Putin has maneuvered himself into an impossible corner he cannot back out of, so yea, I share R_D's concern that he will take to the US WW2 tactics of firebombing cities or nuking them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 05:52:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2022, 07:22:24 am »

...or nuking them.

Nukes are perhaps the only piece of technology in this world that is expected to not be actually activated.

He won't dare press that button.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2022, 07:29:08 am »

Nukes are perhaps the only piece of technology in this world that is expected to not be actually activated.

I wouldn't count on it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2022, 07:33:15 am »

He's already threatened to respond to interference with nukes, threatened to basically hold the maintenance of the ISS hostage in a way that's had some people interpret it as a threat to de-orbit it, has already risked a radiological incident by ordering an assault on Chernobyl, and has ordered shelling that has included civilian targets in the separatist regions he's claiming are the focus of his invasion.

The "willing to nuke a country that borders you that you're actively trying to annex" line is one you don't want to ever see crossed, given it's basically the most pants-on-head a leader could get short of nuking their own territory, but the lines that've already been crossed aren't much better as far as rationality goes.

We've been playing the "he won't do X, he's a rational actor" game since people first started dismissing the evidence that he was going to invade, and if you haven't been keeping score we're losing that particular game.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2022, 07:42:15 am »

In response to the sanctions, Russia has seized bank accounts of foreigners and foreign companies in Russia. Moskou says it might also go further than that, and expropriate all companies registered in the US, EU, or other 'unfriendly jurisdictions'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2022, 07:46:36 am »

See, everything he did as of recent is with the focus to get Ukraine under his control at any cost. It is ""rational"" but from evil logic. You don't get anything useful from a radioactive wasteland. Not to mention nukes being used at Ukraine would likely result in a nuclear ultimatum from the West at which point it's pulling out or MAD (likely the latter).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2022, 07:51:26 am »

He has painted himself into a corner and probably will do anything to get out. Nukes  while improbably would not be impossible.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2022, 08:08:34 am »

Don't worry for Putin safety in case he got insane enough to start the nuclear end of the world, after all he got a new underground nuclear bunker ready since 2020 if the ones he already had were not enough.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/nov/11/putin-russia-built-bunker-withstand-nuclear-attack/

Anyways, for people interested in the various processes from past decades that resulted in the current invasion we're witnessing, some interesting reading :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2022, 08:08:57 am »

Казахстан in Russian.
Қазақстан in yer actual Kazakh.

Choose your own favourite transliteration.

I was looking at the wording on the screen behind Ukraine's president and it took a few moments (mostly based on knowledge of algebraic greek, which is always my default before then filling in with the cyrillic-only knowledge) to effectively read "Office {of the} President of Ukrain(a)".

It was a momentary bright point in my reading of the news-cycle.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 08:14:27 am by Starver »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2022, 08:24:59 am »

See, everything he did as of recent is with the focus to get Ukraine under his control at any cost. It is ""rational"" but from evil logic. You don't get anything useful from a radioactive wasteland. Not to mention nukes being used at Ukraine would likely result in a nuclear ultimatum from the West at which point it's pulling out or MAD (likely the latter).
The problem with this is that he's behaving as if the last 50+ years of geopolitics haven't happened and he's an authoritarian dictator sitting on top of an increasingly unstable situation.

Remember, the point of this war isn't a land-grab, it's political theater to distract Russians from the fact that he and his cronies have robbed them blind by conscripting them to die in a totally unjustified war. He's starting from a point less rational than the Bush administration lying about Saddam having WMDs because the neocons believed in the violent application of democratic peace theory.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2022, 08:49:25 am »

The problem with this is that he's behaving as if the last 50+ years of geopolitics haven't happened and he's an authoritarian dictator sitting on top of an increasingly unstable situation.

Remember, the point of this war isn't a land-grab, it's political theater to distract Russians from the fact that he and his cronies have robbed them blind by conscripting them to die in a totally unjustified war. He's starting from a point less rational than the Bush administration lying about Saddam having WMDs because the neocons believed in the violent application of democratic peace theory.
Fair enough.

Казахстан in Russian.
Қазақстан in yer actual Kazakh.

Choose your own favourite transliteration.

I was looking at the wording on the screen behind Ukraine's president and it took a few moments (mostly based on knowledge of algebraic greek, which is always my default before then filling in with the cyrillic-only knowledge) to effectively read "Office {of the} President of Ukrain(a)".

It was a momentary bright point in my reading of the news-cycle.
Қазақстан is closer to "Kazakstan" I think.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2022, 09:00:01 am »

President Zelenskyy claims on Twitter that Erdogan has closed the Turkish straits for Russian war ships.

I'm waiting for confirmation. Huge if true.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2022, 09:08:41 am »

They could close exiting ships, not incoming ones.

It is true that Chechenia (sorry, cant remember its english name) offered not only military hardware but troops to Ukraine?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 98