Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68728 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2022, 07:37:12 pm »

I don't read tabloids.

The chairman of our national employer's organisation (VNO-NCW) said it in a Volkskrant interview.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/werkgeversvoorzitter-ingrid-thijssen-maatregelen-tegen-rusland-moeten-stevig-zijn-het-bedrijfsleven-staat-daar-achter~b14a4dd8/
That dudette is uniformed. The journal is apparently publishing whatever without basic fact-checking. And you're reposting it here in a sensationalised form.
No, Poland is not drafting people to join the army due to the situation in Ukraine. We don't have compulsory service since 2008. A small (!) proportion of reservists (only!) get regular summons for a few days/weeks of retraining, which this year falls in April. So people will be getting their letters about now. After being on hold due to covid there's a bit of a backlog, but it still applies to a tiny fraction of the 300k Poles in the Netherlands.
To reiterate: not military service, no reason to quit your job (unless your employer is very unaccommodating), not en masse, and nothing to do with Ukraine.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2022, 07:37:56 pm »

UNSC??? Now you are quoting institutions from Halo?
I suppose you think the US Marine Corps lifted their name and acronym from the Colonial Marines in Aliens too?
Are there other Marines besides the Colonial Marines?
Space Marines?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2022, 07:54:41 pm »

For the Emprah!!!!!

Sorry for the tiny offtopic... we all could use some laugh rigth now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2022, 08:06:48 pm »

For the Emprah!!!!!

A Dawn of War meme does come to mind for this hare-brained invasion though.

I wanted to find the classic one with Boreale saying "bold and foolish" and/or some variant of the "bald and foolish" mutation, but eh. Close enough.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2022, 08:12:12 pm »

Ukraine is claiming to have shot down a transport full of paratroopers, and there's a separate claim that the units Russia brought from Chechnya were ambushed and destroyed. No conversation on either claim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2022, 09:11:38 pm »

Kyiv evidently under more intense attacks by now.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2022, 09:38:43 pm »

UNSC held a vote to stop the invasion.

Russia vetoed, as predicted.

China, India, and UAE abstained. Sino-Russian relations might not be as warm as Putin would've liked them to be.

China couldn't care less if Russia actually managed to blitz and install their government...

But a long war in Ukraine means that China will need to buy food in some other place for a higher price.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2022, 09:54:14 pm »

Yeah, China is pretty dependent on Ukrainian grain.

EDIT: Russia asked Kazachstan to join in the fight. Kazachstan has refused. Kazachstan also made a statement that they do NOT recognize the seperatist republics.

Usually, Kazachstan is a loyal ally to Russia. But not this time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 10:12:57 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2022, 12:41:32 am »

Second day since the thread started, Kyiv still holding.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2022, 02:45:19 am »

More than 48 hours of war. 0 regional capitals were captured. Ukraine is mobilizing and getting more and more aid from abroad.

Russia can't win this war without a major escalation

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2022, 02:47:16 am »

The tactics they have employed suggested they wanted to do a quick decapitation strike, but it failed.

Now they are committed, and cannot back down.  It's attrition.  Russia has more resources for attrition than Ukraine, sadly.  Without substantial aid from outside, Ukraine most likely will not prevail. :(

Ukraine needs to destroy all inroads into Ukraine from Belarus and Russia that can manage troop transfers, and put down anti-tank traps in other areas to prevent rapid deploy bridges from being put down. That is a tall order to do, while actively repelling hostile forces pouring in.

Half surprised that the civilian guerilla groups are not welding iron girders together to make such tank traps, and just dumping them in the countryside, while Ukraine military repels invaders.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:51:31 am by wierd »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2022, 02:56:07 am »

Russia can't win this war without a major escalation

Soon we'll probably see how many warcrimes the UN will ignore simultaneously, I suspect.

As for attrition, it'll depend a lot on how easily Ukraine can start up and sustain a guerilla war should the conventional forces crumble. Definitely seems likely that Ukraine will be pushed to that point, and likely only further motivated to do so the more civilian targets Russia hits.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2022, 03:38:51 am »

The UN cannot vote to perform action on Russia, as Russia has a veto vote.  This is a worst case scenario for that bureaucratic establishment.
NATO partners are afraid of the economic consequences of entering hostile (and likely prolonged) conflict with Russia, especially as their energy infrastructures are still heavily reliant on Russian fossil fuel.
My own country cannot realistically assist in any way other than logistical, due to the political consequences of any other kind of aid.

I am fairly sure Putin was/is well aware of all of this, when he decided to pull this trigger.  He feels he will get away with it in the end, and he is sadly, probably right. :(

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2022, 04:34:33 am »

Anonymous claims to have hacked the Russian Ministry of Defense and leaked the login credentials.
The passwords were one file with extremely poor formatting, poor encryption, and extremely weak passwords that was inside the files for a video player. Fake as balls. Anonymous is doing God's work but they just bit on a red herring.

I imagine the point of the landgrab is to absorb a country with significant nukes so they can't resist in the future, and which has industry and resources that Russia can exploit to bolster their finances. Anyone know what happened to Crimea in the ensuing years after it was annexed? I assume you treat a conquered people like a conquered people and exploit them in the name of the Motherland.
Crimea is and was Russian-populated for the most part. It still wasn't right to take it, mind, but they aren't being oppressed more than the Russians in Russia.

Yeah, China is pretty dependent on Ukrainian grain.

EDIT: Russia asked Kazachstan to join in the fight. Kazachstan has refused. Kazachstan also made a statement that they do NOT recognize the seperatist republics.

Usually, Kazachstan is a loyal ally to Russia. But not this time.
Good news but why do you spell it like that? It's "Kazakhstan".
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:41:58 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 98