Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68682 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2022, 07:54:00 am »

Formula 1 has also decided to cancel the Russian Grand Prix.

Interesting read on China's role in this.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/25/us/politics/us-china-russia-ukraine.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:07:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2022, 08:10:07 am »

It was very silly to think China would do anything but encourage an invasion of Ukraine. It will be the perfect smoke screen for them as some extent.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2022, 08:14:32 am »

It was very silly to think China would do anything but encourage an invasion of Ukraine. It will be the perfect smoke screen for them as some extent.

And also weakening Russia to swallow it later
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2022, 08:24:08 am »

What I don't understand. Zelensky has (probably correctly) said that the Russians are aiming at a blitz to Kiev, to target and eliminate the government and install a new one.

If I were Zelensky and his government, I would not be in Kiev right now. I'd be in a bunker in a town that is so close to a NATO border that Russians can't use heavy weapons without causing collateral damage on the NATO side.
That's not cowardice, that's self preservation. The US president would be flying around in his doomsday plane if war comes.

EDIT: Zelensky just called out to 'people with military training' in Western countries. "Come to our country, if you do not want to wait on the indecisiveness of your governments".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:29:03 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2022, 08:27:20 am »

NATO basically washed their hands over the whole issue. And perhaps such location is not avaiable. Lastly its migth have to do with the troops and citizens moral.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2022, 08:28:06 am »

It seems like Russia is slowly encircling Kyiv through overwhelming numbers.
Not looking good at all.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2022, 08:31:25 am »

Cowardice or not, the government fleeing immediately would have been an huge hit to army morale

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2022, 09:02:13 am »

See Afghanistan, and other prior examples.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2022, 09:21:19 am »

Hacker group Anonymous announced that they will continue to strike Russia with cyberattacks, which will be more intense than the ones yesterday.
Thursday, they managed to shut down the network of Russian state tv RT, and the websites of the Russian parliament, the Russian ministry of Defense and other government services.

Anonymous says they "are convinced the sanctions imposed will have no effect on the criminal regime of Putin. This is not a fight between NATO and Russia, this is a fight between democracy and fascism".

Anonymous is an international hacker group that regularily attacks government services. Their previous targets were the US and China, among others.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2022, 09:47:36 am »

Our state secretary of asylum has said that Ukrainians fleeing to the Netherlands do not need to go through the asylum procedure, they are free to travel and stay here as fellow Europeans.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2022, 09:49:31 am »

Not sure how confirmed it is yet, but an engineer by the name of Vitaly Skakun gave his life detonating the Henichesky bridge in Kherson Oblast.

He had mined the bridge and didn't have time to leave as a Russian army column was approaching, so he detonated the charges manually.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2022, 10:07:29 am »

Posting to watch
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2022, 11:22:15 am »

The Council or Europe has suspended Russia's membership.

EDIT: Eurovision songfestival has banned Russia from participating
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:47:02 am by martinuzz »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2022, 12:41:50 pm »

A US Department of Defense Official gave a briefing today, indicating (carefully worded) that the Russian move on Kyiv has lost some momentum and is taking longer than Russia anticipated. Ukraine is continuing to contest the skies and their command and control remain intact.  Western Ukraine, which is solidly pro-west, has not been touched militarily in a significant way as of the moment. However he said things could change quickly. Russia is engaging in an amphibious landing at Mariupol, and Russia has so far committed only a third of their forces on the border to the invasion (which, based on the US estimates of 150,000, means about 50,000 engaged in Ukraine). The official said 200 cruise and ballistic missiles have been fired at Ukraine (up from 160 yesterday), primarily but not exclusively at military targets. So, in short, the US's position is that Ukraine is doing better than it expected.

sources: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/02/25/world/russia-ukraine-war/russian-forces-have-lost-some-momentum-pentagon-official-says
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1497254065776037897
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2022, 12:49:09 pm »

I'm strapped for cash, but I had some money locked up in my SIM card.

I'm hoping my Red Cross donation will go towards keeping you Ukrainians alive, warm, and fed. I wish there was a confirmed SMS donation method to get you weapons and armor as well.

Armok be with you guys. Slava Ukraine.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 98