Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68764 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2022, 01:41:16 am »

I think that's the point. Stay out of Ukraine or we'll blast the sarcophagus

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2022, 01:48:05 am »

Bullshit.  Russia has nukes.  They don't need to threaten to set off the largest dirty bomb on their doorstep.

It's actually more dangerous under Ukrainian control. I'm worried it might be a terrorist mecca, regardless of who owns it.

Hell, regardless of the outcome of the conflict, maybe Russia should be saddled with the burden of maintaining integrity and security of the Giant Nuclear Moneypit.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2022, 03:19:27 am »

Bullshit.  Russia has nukes.  They don't need to threaten to set off the largest dirty bomb on their doorstep.

It's actually more dangerous under Ukrainian control. I'm worried it might be a terrorist mecca, regardless of who owns it.

Hell, regardless of the outcome of the conflict, maybe Russia should be saddled with the burden of maintaining integrity and security of the Giant Nuclear Moneypit.

They can set it off and blame Ukraine

Also if Russia keeps the plant expect to be pestered for money for "maintenance" regularly
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2022, 03:47:39 am »

Highlight of the day.

I think this was a true heroic moment. The island wasn't strategic, but the willingness to die for it might turn the war. This seems to be the general attitude among Ukranians now. They're sick of being bullied and are fighting back hard. If anything, they're far more eager for war than the Russians.

It's hard to see what's going on but I think Ukraine might do really well even without NATO military power. The Geneva conventions really limits what can be done in a war these days. Whatever firepower Russia has, only precision weapons can really be used if they don't want to be classified as war criminals/terrorists.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2022, 03:56:27 am »

Whatever firepower Russia has, only precision weapons can really be used if they don't want to be classified as war criminals/terrorists.

It never stopped them in Chechnya or Syria
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2022, 04:16:48 am »

As of the report of Ukraine's nuclear agency, there`s an increase in radiation at Chernobyl nuclear power plant caused by soil disturbances, no damage to nuclear facilities
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2022, 04:42:25 am »

They can set it off and blame Ukraine

Bingo, buddy. It's a strategic move.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2022, 04:43:04 am »

Also if Russia keeps the plant expect to be pestered for money for "maintenance" regularly
"You need to end the sanctions or we cannot maintain safety of the concrete sarcofagus".

EDIT: The UEFA decided to move it's Champion's League finals to Paris. This is a huge loss of face for Russia in the sports world (that is if they had any face left to lose after their doping scandals)

EDIT: Oh nice. While they are not threatening with not maintaiing Chernobyl yet, the Russians are threatening that if the sanctions continue, the ISS might crash land on the EU or US.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 05:02:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2022, 05:26:27 am »

For those Americans, the UEFA is a World Level Soccer Tournament.  It's one step below the Olympics Committee deciding not to host their games in your country.
I wish I could give a better analogy, but Americans only care about sports that are predominantly American, such as Baseball, American Football, and Basketball.  There is no neat parallel, since Soccer (or Football as they call it in Europe) is the #1 Sport of Europe by far.

Oh nice. While they are not threatening with not maintaiing Chernobyl yet, the Russians are threatening that if the sanctions continue, the ISS might crash land on the EU or US.
Impossible.  They're not helping their credibility with that statement.
1) The Cosmonauts are outnumbered, even if they were inclined to do anything
2) If the ISS were to de-orbit, it would probably burn up in atmosphere
3) Most of the budget to maintain the ISS comes from NASA
4) The US has a way to sent missions to the ISS without Russia

There is a minor maintenance issue in that some components of the ISS are obviously made in Russia (since they build half of it).  But even if those components were vital and unique enough that the ISS was unable to function, NASA could rescue the Astronauts (and Cosmonauts) and deorbit the ISS safely.

It's obviously better if the US excludes those components from the sanctions.  It's a loophole.  Americans are experts in loopholes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2022, 05:36:28 am »

So Putin is now calling powers form Red Alert 3? So sad...

Really wishing he get his ass kicked down, I'm sad for the poor young fellows dragged into this shit however.

As foe Chernobyl is really implicity they have it as a bargain chip to fuck around and blame it on others, as a last resort measure perhaps.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2022, 05:41:48 am »

As foe Chernobyl is really implicity they have it as a bargain chip to fuck around and blame it on others, as a last resort measure perhaps.

It is far simpler

1) The exclusion area is the shortest route to Kyiv
2) There are no pesky civilians getting in the way of building a forward base
3) Ukrainian army won't shell this area

Oh and

4) They'll save money having no need to pay pensions to Russian soldiers who will die from cancer long before retirement
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 05:43:25 am by Strongpoint »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2022, 06:05:42 am »

Well, it looks like one of the first victims of the war is going to be the climate.
Italy is considering reopening coal power plants to maintain power. 45% of their imported gas comes from Russia.
Italy is also considering to shut down some of it's industries to preserve gas. That might counteract it a bit.

EDIT: Turkey has replied to the Ukrainian request to close down the bosporus for Russian warships. They say that they cannot do that, because international treaties oblige them to always give passage to ships that are returning to their home port.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:07:53 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2022, 06:50:37 am »

Snake Island is an example of a senseless act of heroism. Such stands are needed when you hold some strategically important position, not when you are stationed on a strategically useless rock...
The question in my mind is what Russia had to gain by blowing up a strategically useless rock. My understanding is that the tiny number of soldiers stationed there had basically no way to impact the fighting. Russia could have easily ignored them, or blockaded the island to round up the men later once things cooled down. Instead they chose the metaphorical nuclear option.

Likely no one would have remembered or known about these guys if Russia had taken literally any other course of action
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2022, 06:53:55 am »

Let's just call it by name. The Russian invaders are murderous nazis

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2022, 07:39:07 am »

Exactly. I mean technically they did warned them, they are at war and all, but morally it was unnecesary and homicide in my book. Those soldiers probably would have just starved to death or leave the rock by their own if the situation extends beyond some weeks.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 98