Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68640 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2022, 08:37:58 pm »

Russian blitzkrieg is failing. It may change this night\next day but if not... Expect carpet bombing of civilian targets out of spite
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2022, 10:04:04 pm »

No surprise that Putin's desperate to end things quickly. The Russian Federation's military is a wet fart compared to what the Warsaw Pact could field, NATO and the U.S. have had the military-industrial complex in full swing for decades, and this invasion is a blatant 20th-century imperialistic land grab which means there'll be a lot of public support for intervention in the West. If he doesn't get a short, victorious war he's going to get his shit pushed in and he knows it. All the surviving Cold Warriors have got to be creaming their uniforms at the thought of getting to go hot like this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2022, 10:28:47 pm »

I suppose that's one bit of good news. If we survive the next week or two without WWIII the memes about Ukraine kicking Russia's ass, even if the outcome is just them slowing Russia down, are going to be legendary.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2022, 10:34:38 pm »

I'm reminded of Finland at the beginning of WW2.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2022, 10:35:17 pm »

I suppose that's one bit of good news. If we survive the next week or two without WWIII the memes about Ukraine kicking Russia's ass, even if the outcome is just them slowing Russia down, are going to be legendary.

I mean, if the guys stationed on the defenseless garrison on a rock in the middle of nowhere had the huge nuts tell a Russian ship to go fuck itself, even knowing they'd die immediately afterwards, imagine how badass the guys in the main Ukrainian force are.

Really though, I was really inspired by that video of the Ukrainian President giving his speech. I hope things go well for Ukraine, and things go very badly for Putin.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2022, 10:41:52 pm »

This is what I'm thinking about, yeah. It's the first day and we've already got talk about the first fighter ace in god knows how long, and the warship being told to go fuck itself. Russia is not likely to live this down even if they get anything resembling a victory out of it.

After all, Finland technically lost the Winter War, since the Soviets got the main concessions they were after. But we remember the Winter War for how badly the Soviets got their shit pushed in to get to that point.

And in the case of Ukraine, I'm convinced they're not going to stop at anything less than the eventual annexation of all Ukraine, and if Putin's that foolish then Russia will win a prize in the form of years of guerilla warfare.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2022, 12:01:49 am »

Double posting to add, it has officially been 24 hours since the creation of this thread. I hope that this ends peacefully at some point, but knowing that's unlikely, second place on my wish list is that every day of this conflict has the Ukrainians perform as well as they have thus far.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2022, 12:11:52 am »

Snake Island is an example of a senseless act of heroism. Such stands are needed when you hold some strategically important position, not when you are stationed on a strategically useless rock...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2022, 12:14:32 am »

The war is extremely unpopular among the general population of Russia.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2022, 12:17:06 am »

Protest photos from St. Petersburg are inspiring.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2022, 12:25:48 am »

Protest photos from St. Petersburg are inspiring.

Few thousands in a 5M city?  Pffff

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2022, 12:29:30 am »

When it's a guaranteed arrest? Pretty good.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2022, 12:54:38 am »

When it's a guaranteed arrest? Pretty good.
Guaranteed arrest with release at some point definitely not guaranteed.  Those protesters are BRAVE.

This is what I'm thinking about, yeah. It's the first day and we've already got talk about the first fighter ace in god knows how long, and the warship being told to go fuck itself. Russia is not likely to live this down even if they get anything resembling a victory out of it.

After all, Finland technically lost the Winter War, since the Soviets got the main concessions they were after. But we remember the Winter War for how badly the Soviets got their shit pushed in to get to that point.

And in the case of Ukraine, I'm convinced they're not going to stop at anything less than the eventual annexation of all Ukraine, and if Putin's that foolish then Russia will win a prize in the form of years of guerilla warfare.

Recall that the Soviets got less territory than they demanded, yet they wanted annexation.  They didn't "demand concessions" from Poland, they just annexed their half.  So, in my mind the Finns won.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2022, 12:58:49 am »

They probably won't fire at the Chernobyl sarcophagus. Seems like a good way to get Europe and thus NATO dragged in. The radiation would also hit Russian troops and civilians.

And the protests are growing last time I checked.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2022, 01:14:40 am »

I imagine everyone is being super careful around the Chernobyl sarcophagus.  Nobody wants to be responsible for that.
Its probably safer under Russian control for now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98