Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68745 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2022, 04:56:56 pm »

Apparently Ukraine is banning males aged 18-60 from leaving the country
Conscription time?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2022, 04:59:06 pm »

While also reportedly distributing 10,000 rifles to the citizenry of Kiev.

Similarly, there were reports and footage of separatists pressganging people in the last few days, and even reports of Russia now forcing young men to take on 'contract' soldier positions and get shipped to the front with little training.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2022, 05:19:12 pm »

Cannon fodder tactics

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »

Imperial Guard at his finest.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2022, 05:27:00 pm »

Russian media and politicos kept bringing up WWII in the leadup to this invasion. Makes sense to me that they might be tempted to return to the glorious Soviet tactics of olde.

(also PTW I guess)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2022, 05:37:20 pm »

reports of Russia now forcing young men to take on 'contract' soldier positions and get shipped to the front with little training.

That appears to have been part of the invasion buildup - the pushed a lot of their conscripts (who were nearing the end of their service term) into taking non-conscript "contract" positions (the equivalent of somebody who just walks into a recruiting depot in the West, a volunteer) to prevent large portions of their army from just going home.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2022, 05:42:34 pm »

China will make her move anytime now. At least some kind of blockade will be attempted. Oil and gas priced are rising and China is buying grain from Russia and opening credit lines for Putin... while Ukraine migth be nothing but dust in a few days under the indolent watch of the useless UN  the OTAN and Europre in general, things wont end here. If the OTAN intervenes now they can still stop this, nuclear options so close to motherland aren't that much of a possibility, but they wont.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2022, 05:50:04 pm »

For those keeping an eye on social media for updates, be weary, BBC and I've personally as well reporting (and I've seen) TONS of fake info out there going both sides of the war. Some posters on twitter saying russian vehicles are abandoned and "filming" them, but proven to be actually old footage and not even anywhere relevant to what is going on. BBC is reporting the same info.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60513452

Trust only the (well uh...most) of the news at this point and everything else with a grain of salt

(edit: I am guessing some of the fake stuff like showing fake vehicles in a specific spot that isn't even taken on the same day, is probably "bait" at worst, and just fake at best)

Also to add, apparently russia is gearing up for a massive night time attack of some kind. Not sure what kind of attack though, but they do seem to be abandoning a lot of places (if the info is real). Kinda worried they plan to carpet bomb areas if that is the case.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:59:06 pm by The_Explorer »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2022, 06:03:30 pm »

I've not heard much about the UN, on the newswires. Aside from the complications of ⅖ths of the P5 being at least reluctant to say anything, I would think there'd be general chamber discussions (or at least inter-delegate 'corridor' meetings, in person or remotely), but so far that's not been reported very much at all.

I had to go to the source to see what messages were being put out there by the organisation, but everyone in the media seems to be ignoring them/prefering other national/supranational announcements.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2022, 06:39:34 pm »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »

Thar is both seriously awesome and sad at the same time. Why didnt they have at least a couple of rockets in that island?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2022, 07:21:00 pm »

They were defending what is literally a sparsely populated rock in the Black Sea.
Likely too caught off guard / not a big enough priority to get proper support in time

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2022, 07:23:55 pm »

The island was useless, with a token garrison put in specifically to secure a claim as Ukrainian soil, which in turn helps secure territorial rights on the water.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2022, 08:00:20 pm »

Russian media and politicos kept bringing up WWII in the leadup to this invasion. Makes sense to me that they might be tempted to return to the glorious Soviet tactics of olde.

The women are going to be fucking pissed about this, a major complaint in the past 70 years is that "the marriageable ones left or died at the front."

Holding you all in my heart.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2022, 08:01:11 pm »

Im still thinking about Chernobyl... does Putin wants the capacity to poison half Europe and blame it on some Ukranian rebels as a leverage?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98