Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68747 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #960 on: March 19, 2022, 01:58:26 pm »

Source? I don't see it on Al Jazeera, which is not really biased in favor of the West.

I also don't see it on BBC.  Not on CNN either.

In general - please include sources for all claims of info.  Friendly reminder!

EDIT: closest I could find was something on BBC (timestamp 14:23) quoting a Chinese official saying the sanctions are outrageous, and that "history has proven" that sanctions cannot solve problems.  I'm not sure what else anyone is supposed to use to solve this problem other than weapons.  If there's a third alternative, we're all ears!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 02:03:05 pm by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 19, 2022, 02:21:46 pm »

It seems to be this one article, no idea how legit the source is as I've never heard of them. Or maybe I have heard of axios and I just don't remember, lots to keep track of and my memory is terrible.

https://www.axios.com/china-vice-foreign-minister-nato-ukraine-russia-eef8dea1-2b7e-4e03-8c15-d32b2cfc2f50.html

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 19, 2022, 02:42:45 pm »

Source? I don't see it on Al Jazeera, which is not really biased in favor of the West.

I also don't see it on BBC.  Not on CNN either.

In general - please include sources for all claims of info.  Friendly reminder!

EDIT: closest I could find was something on BBC (timestamp 14:23) quoting a Chinese official saying the sanctions are outrageous, and that "history has proven" that sanctions cannot solve problems.  I'm not sure what else anyone is supposed to use to solve this problem other than weapons.  If there's a third alternative, we're all ears!
My usual source, de Volkskrant, Ukraine live blog.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/zelenski-vraagt-zwitserland-oligarchen-harder-aan-te-pakken-in-totaal-228-burgerdoden-in-kyiv~bab21952/

De Navo had zich moeten houden aan haar ‘belofte’ zich niet verder naar het oosten uit te breiden. Dat heeft de Chinese onderminister van Buitenlandse Zaken vandaag gezegd in een speech waarin hij zich kritisch uitliet over de harde westerse sancties tegen Rusland.

De hoofdoorzaak van de oorlog in Oekraïne is volgens de hoge Chinese diplomaat, Le Yucheng, ‘Koude Oorlogsmentaliteit en machtspolitiek’. Hij zei, variërend op een Russisch thema, dat ‘als de uitbreiding van de Navo zo doorgaat, de alliantie de buitenwijken van Moskou zou bereiken waar een raket binnen 7 of 8 minuten het Kremlin kan raken’.

Dat westerse expansieve beleid is gevaarlijk, aldus de onderminister. ‘Wie een groot land, en zeker een kernmacht, in de hoek drijft, krijgt te maken met gevolgen die te gruwelijk zijn om over na te denken.’

Le Yucheng echoode in Beijing de opvatting van de Russische president Poetin dat de Navo zich na de Koude Oorlog had moeten opheffen en in de geschiedenis had moeten worden bijgezet naast het Warschau Pact. ‘Maar in plaats daarvan bleef de Navo zich versterken en uitbreiden en militair ingrijpen in landen als Joegoslavië, Irak, Syrië en Afghanistan.’

De kritiek is saillant, één dag na het videogesprek tussen de Amerikaanse president Joe Biden en de Chinese president Xi Jinping. Daarin stond de Oekraïne-oorlog centraal. Biden waarschuwde Xi in dat gesprek dat Chinese steun voor Rusland gevolgen krijgt. Xi benadrukte volgens Le Yucheng het belang van een diplomatieke oplossing van het conflict en de noodzaak van dialoog tussen het Westen en Rusland over de ‘kern van de Oekraïnecrisis’, de veiligheidszorgen van Oekraïne en Rusland.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 19, 2022, 03:17:15 pm »

The mayor of Mariupol claims some thousand residents have been sent to Russia from the besieged city.

Spoiler: from BBC (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 19, 2022, 05:21:05 pm »

My usual source, de Volkskrant, Ukraine live blog.
Could you maybe post only those news that you can source to a reputable English-language news outlet, rather than reposting from your local newspaper? Or at least report closely what it says, without rephrasing. It's kinda hard to check the veracity when we have to dig through your own spin, use google translate, and then comb the internets to find where the editorial staff of your newspaper took the news from.
I would kinda get it if you were located in Ukraine, or even in one of the bordering countries. But a Dutch newspaper doesn't have any special insight on the current goings-on, so there's really nothing gained from using it instead of BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN, The Economist, (or more directly) Reuters, Associated Press, AFP, or any other large, reputable outlet that is not shy about citing its sources - they all run, or are the source of, the same stories as in your paper (unless it's something related to the Netherlands).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 19, 2022, 06:31:52 pm »

Oh lord... they are most likley prisoners of war/hostages for future negotiations. Being hostages is the best they can expect, the worst is organ harvesting, sex slavery and regular slavery, besides you know, ending up up dead (implicit in the first option).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 19, 2022, 07:02:41 pm »

Fuck your mother, China.

(Chinese ministry of Foreign Affairs said the war in Ukraine is NATO's fault, NATO is the agressor, Russia had no choice but to defend itself against agressive NATO that wants to put nuclear missiles in the outer suburbs of Moscow).

So yeah, fuck your mother, China.

This has been in the newspapers here since it started, in not so direct words. The sentiment is that this is a war of NATO aggression because they're encroaching on Russia's ('the East's') domain by encouraging Ukraine to join NATO ('the West'). To swallow this reasoning, you have to believe that the USSR's borders are still active and that Russia is still the ruler of its previous territory, despite losing a war about that.

This lines up well with China's reasoning when it comes to HK, Tibet and Taiwan (and in far future, Laos). The narrative is one the country would like to push, but I doubt will make much headway in actual justification of wars.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 19, 2022, 09:07:03 pm »

Meanwhile, the last Belarusian diplomats have left Ukraine and more and more troops are reported in the vicinity of Brest. Yay! One more front.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 20, 2022, 12:03:01 am »

The Defense Forces of Ukraine eliminated the Deputy Commander of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation Andrey Paliy
https://mil.in.ua/en/news/ukrainian-defense-forces-eliminated-the-deputy-commander-of-the-russian-black-sea-fleet/
Rest In Piss if true, this war criminal what glorious neck he had...

Born in Kyiv, Ukrainian surname... Traitors are worse than any other kind of enemy.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 20, 2022, 12:34:09 am »

As an aside, Boris Johnson compared the plight of the Ukrainians fighting against an authoritarian regime trying to stop them from getting closer to Europe to Britain voting for Brexit.

Far be it from him to take the get out of jail free card that is a hugely distracting global crisis and instead try to use said crisis to remind people he is a complete and utter tit.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 20, 2022, 12:40:48 am »

As an aside, Boris Johnson compared the plight of the Ukrainians fighting against an authoritarian regime trying to stop them from getting closer to Europe to Britain voting for Brexit.

Far be it from him to take the get out of jail free card that is a hugely distracting global crisis and instead try to use said crisis to remind people he is a complete and utter tit.

Brexit is one of the most successful operations of Russia in its war against the West. I am not saying that it was the sole or even the main reason of it happening but Russia did put considerable effort in weakening the EU and making France and Germany (both full of corrupt Pro-Russian politicians and business elites) more important.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 20, 2022, 05:22:35 am »

Yes, Russian instigators lit the Brexit flame, at the very least.

EDIT: In Mariupol, the Academy of Arts was levelled by Russian bombs. About 400 people were sheltering inside, they are now buried beneath rubble.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 05:55:30 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 20, 2022, 06:01:17 am »

Though there are rumblings, Putin did Johnson a biiiig favour in that, just before the invasion, there were very serious questions about his competence as PM which, for most previous PMs would have probably triggered their honourable resignation over the matter. Except that Boris is a greater lesser man than any of those and was dodging that particular bullet.

As a great admirer and student of Churchill (who had his own issues but, I feel, would have probably gone the route of re-establishing himself rather than hanging on by his fingertips when it was just his own butt on the line) I imagine he's relishing his wartime-leader possibilities (see also the Thatcher-bounce, post-Falklands, but not Eden/Suez, etc) but, perhaps gratifyingly, it seems he knows/fears the limits of direct national confrontation.

And his team in government are being roundly and rightly condemned for continuing the general counter-humanitarian policies that is their signature staple approach, even as the public has been stepping up to the plate (admittedly because they are perceived as more 'our kind of refugees' than all those other refugees that there has been an ambivalent split of attitude to, in recent years).

It's going to be awkward when there's no more potential "we're just waiting for the (next) report, it would be precipitous to act before the (latest) investigation is fully concluded", and it definitely helps that there's Ukraine 'happening'. But at some point there must be an impression that "there has always been war in Ukraine" (assuming it doesn't resolve/escalate somehow) and even if there isn't a reckoning for being entirely hypocritical (if not in the above case, probably something new, or newly rediscovered, because it's his general bumbling manner - with or without a logic of steel behind some of them - that bounces around and does that sort of thing that variously endears/deplores people of him at pretty much every point of his political(/journalistic) career, so far.

But Vlad did Boris a solid, definitely. There's a good chance even he might have been toppled by the back-bench Tories who (either truly, or acting to 'support' their constituency views.... or being machiovellian for their own purposes) continued to put on the pressure.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 20, 2022, 09:39:15 am »

My predicted number of refugees has been reached.
According to the UNHCR, 10 million Ukrainians have fled their country.

Sometimes I feel like Cassandra. People called me irrealistic and an idiot when I predicted 10 million refugees some 5 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:42:38 am by martinuzz »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 20, 2022, 09:43:31 am »

My predicted number of refugees has been reached.
According to the UNHCR, 10 million Ukrainians have fled their country.

Sometimes I feel like Cassandra. People called me irrealistic and an idiot when I predicted 10 million refugees some 5 weeks ago.
Uh, no. 10 million are now displaced - this includes internally. It's not the same as 10 million leaving Ukraine.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98