Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68596 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #840 on: March 15, 2022, 07:21:42 am »

Of course she went missing. Didn't I told you. These regimes all work the same.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2022, 07:23:01 am »

France sells arms and stuff to everyone.
That is not news.
Back when Middle Eastern countries were trying to develop their nuclear programs, all their stuff came from France.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2022, 07:24:00 am »

They already have Navalny, there's no point in keeping her in public view or I daresay alive.

She's probably already disposed of. These regimes all work the same.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 15, 2022, 07:32:11 am »

Saw the video. It's a good sign that she did that.
Typically, if everyone was believing the lies and it was generally thought that things were going to remain the same, nobody would be risking their lives like that.
According to the new Russian law, she is subject to 15 years incarceration. And that is just the official punishment.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 15, 2022, 08:00:53 am »

Finnish Broadcasting Company news mentioned that Ovsjannikova is probably placed under house arrest. Couldn't find any English info on it though.

Some Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2022, 08:01:33 am »

In an act of bravery, stupidity or both
We have lost our president and majority of other important gov people in Smolensk plane crash in 2010, so we get used to that. Don't have to mention that we also lost most of air forces generals one and half year earlier before that in, you wouldn't guess, plane crash, because some folk assume that it will be OK to return all of them to their home units by one flight.

OK, dark humor aside. They travel by train (it's official info, I don't know if that's true), so I assume it isn't very hard to locate it. Railroads are more rare that usual roads.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:03:32 am by Some Grue »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2022, 09:06:38 am »

Russian troops have allegedly taken up positions in a Mariupol hospital and are holding civilians including patients hostage while firing from the windows.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 15, 2022, 10:08:39 am »

According to BBC the TV protester is now in court on trial.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 15, 2022, 11:56:18 am »

Good to see she's alive.
I hope it's the same for all the protesters that had been arrested in the first week Putin launched his invasion. 
But if Putin stay in power i fear for those courageous individuals future.

Doing the right thing in a country where you're free is good, but doing it in one in which you really risk your life is truly admirable.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 15, 2022, 01:22:27 pm »

Good to see she's alive.
I hope it's the same for all the protesters that had been arrested in the first week Putin launched his invasion. 

Doing the right thing in a country where you're free is good, but doing it in one in which you really risk your life is truly admirable.
Hell yeah... There are terrified people in Russia who worry about being linked to external influences. If you were living in Russia and some Ukrainian relative called up to talk, would you be nice to that person?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 15, 2022, 05:04:39 pm »

Good to see she's alive.

You are misinformed about how Russia works. With very few exceptions, all of those arrests don't result in anything serious.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2022, 05:20:45 pm »

There's also the fear of being beaten up and tortured while under arrest. That in itself is probably enough to prevent many from protesting, even though they'd otherwise "only" get a fine or several days/weeks in prison.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2022, 05:52:02 pm »

You are misinformed about how Russia works. With very few exceptions, all of those arrests don't result in anything serious.
True.
Ranging from a fine and some days in a police cell, to a few months or years in a Siberian re-education camp.
Russia is a terrible country, but downright murdering protestors is not something they do (yet).
Getting assasinated is still a privilege of the unhappy few of which the Kremlin think they are a threat worth eliminating permanently.

Siberia isn't fun though. Depending on just how much you pissed off the establishment, nefarious psychological and physical torture in hospital-disguised torture wards are not a myth, nor is financial extortion of family members to keep their loved ones away from the anal rape.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2022, 05:30:41 am »

Russia will be declared bankrupt today for not being able to pay it's foreign debt payments
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2022, 06:29:57 am »

Marina Ovsyannikova has to pay a fine of some 256 euros because of her social media video. The actual TV protest might bring a more severe penalty still, though. She's apparently also concerned for her safety.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98