Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68499 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #720 on: March 10, 2022, 08:50:35 pm »

If this quote is real...

Quote from: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov
We are not planning to attack other countries.  We did not attack Ukraine either.

Do words even have meaning any more?
Russian government words? Nah, they don't have any meaning or value at all.
We've always never been at war with Eurasia.

...if Ukraine doesn't exist, it cannot have been invaded, right?

(Noting that they're far from accomplishing that end, discounting escalations that would reduce the viability of Russia too.)

PPE:
Russia has asked the UN Security Council to convene about 'the military biological activities of the US on Ukrainian territory'.

Looks like they think they have fabricated accumulated a sufficient amount of alibi for their actions. I don't think that they'll get a ready reception for it, but maybe they'll sway some states to be less critical of them. It'll be interesting to see how it swings.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 10, 2022, 08:54:21 pm »

If they stage a false flag bio attack, I hope that we have enough Black Death and Anthrax cures ready and waiting.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 10, 2022, 09:19:40 pm »

https://flip.it/xFX6UJ

Putin fired eight of his generals and got mad at his secret service (FSB). As history has shown, there are no consequences to messing with the military high command during a war.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 10, 2022, 09:30:43 pm »

Unfortunately, the Daily Mail is a tabloid. A brief google search to check if a more reputable news source has covered the story hasn't yielded anything, so my bet is on this being fake news.

It's possible other papers are taking their time to write a juicier article, but I doubt it. This is way too huge to not at least have the papers make a brief acknowledgment of it before putting out a bigger article.

If it is true, expect to hear a lot more about it tomorrow, but I don't think so. Thanks for citing sources.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 11, 2022, 12:22:13 am »

Looks like russian casualties will keep on increasing, up to 6000 may have been killed so far. Christ.

Up to 6000 is a conservative estimate. Here we can see the list of Russian (and Ukrainian) equipment losses backed by video or photo evidence.

Currently, we are looking at 405 destroyed and 431 captured pieces of Russian military hardware.  As I said, those are only confirmed by video or photo.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 11, 2022, 05:23:10 am »

One thing to keep in mind is that most of those photos are sanitized - they've already picked up whatever body parts were lying about and scraped out what they could for burial. This can make it a little hard to realize that most of those were not empty vehicles - it isn't very healthy for the three guys in T-72 when the ammunition detonation sends the turret flying through the air, and those BMPs sitting in a pile of molten aluminum probably had 8 guys in there when they got hit.

If you assume am average crew of 4, the ~400 vehicles confirmed destroyed would be 1600 KIA by themselves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 11, 2022, 06:17:37 am »

Given Putin is now calling for foreign volunteers to fight (his cause) in Ukraine, in the definitely-not-a-war, I think he's getting (conventionally) desperate. Or at the very least looking to muddy the waters, with some suitable patsies might handily set up as Western-backed "foreign legionaries", at a crucial point. I mean, who is to say which side random Syrian mercenaries are on, after they get 'caught' committing atrocities, for example.

(Even without that, this could end up looking like a perverted version of the Spanish Civil War of the late 1930s. Which was a limited beta-release of WW2, of course.)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 11, 2022, 06:49:03 am »

Ah yes, Putin's nonviolent nonaggressive nonexistent abortive holiday in Ukraine. Geopolitics are the worst, but the fact that Putin's reputation has gone from Machiavellian global bogeyman to a pathetic, entitled, and egotistical Stalin wannabe closer on the evolutionary chart to a Karen than a human being... is, honestly, kinda cathartic.

I dunno if there's a whole hell of a lot else on the positive side to take away from this, though. No matter what angle you come at it from, it's still just untold thousands of corpses being added to the great metaphorical cemetery of Humankind.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 11, 2022, 07:30:00 am »

Ukrainian military intelligence suggests Putin is looking to create a “man-made catastrophe” at Chernobyl and blame Ukraine for it. ( https://twitter.com/DI_Ukraine/status/1502249873248243716 )

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:35:03 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 11, 2022, 07:48:43 am »

The Kremlin just announced that it is sending 16 thousand Syrian recruits to Ukraine.

EDIT: I just imagined a horror scenario. Putin has already used biological weapons. Ukrainian refugees are all Typhoid Mary's, not showing symptoms yet because of incubation time. Russia secretly vaccinated Russians under the guise of corona vaccination.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:55:59 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 11, 2022, 09:28:17 am »

I really don't think that bioweapons that are designed to kill as quickly and efficiently as possible have those kinds of incubation times. Plus I don't think the vaccination rate is all that high in Russia, similar to most eastern bloc nations I'd reckon.

Additionally that would require massive amounts of foresight and planning without a single hitch that could not only doom the plan but Russia itself if it went wrong. Looking at how something as straightforward as 'rush their capital to get a quick and easy win' was botched as horribly wrong I kinda doubt they have it in them to pull of something like what you fear.

Anyways, for some fun news, what appears to be a Soviet-era recon drone, possibly used by Ukraine somehow had its targeting botched so incredibly well that instead of going wherever it was supposed to, it flew to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia where it crashed last night, scaring the shit out of some locals. How it got turned around, and more importantly how it flew trough 3 countries and near several airports without once being detected is a mystery.

One hilarious theory that was floated was that whatever electronics upgrade the drone received to change its navigation method from a dead reckoning one probably used some form of modern GPS and whoever was inputting the location in the search mistyped Yarun (a region of Ukraine) as Jarun (the big park area in Zagreb) and didn't bother doublechecking before it was too late :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 11, 2022, 09:42:02 am »

Yeah, it seems suicidal. His backup plan, such as it is, involves relying on China for imports. Something like that might just cause even China to distance itself and that would be the final nail in the coffin of the economy.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 11, 2022, 10:02:28 am »

Russian airforce has struck against Belarusian settlements near the Belarus-Ukrainian border.

Possible false-flag to force Belarus into war.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 11, 2022, 10:08:51 am »

Belarus is already actively supporting the war with troops, so they can't be dragged in any further

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 11, 2022, 10:12:20 am »

Most of their troops have been refusing orders, however.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 98