Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68608 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #615 on: March 07, 2022, 07:57:13 pm »

But that statement is the most chilling thing I've heard so far in this conflict... I mean seriously what is happening.  Can we just send these leaders that want to fight into a big arena and let them have it out?  The rest of us "general population" just want to live our lives peacefully...

Deciding a war based on duels between national leaders would be fun, yeah, but what happens when Vladimir Putin rides into the arena on a grizzly bear while Biden has a stroke before making it through the doors? :P
Assuming the duel was to the death, all Americans would consent to Trump being Returning President For A Day.

But seriously, Putin's been quite deliberate with his body movements, indicative that he's trying to hide more serious health issues. And Biden would pass out before the fight, leaving Putin to face Kamala Harris. I hear she's a biter...

(The question of why don't the leaders just duel comes up in every war I think)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 07, 2022, 08:01:49 pm »

The question becomes which Nation's leader is issuing orders on Sunday?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 07, 2022, 08:36:38 pm »

Can’t have a military coup if the military leadership is all dead
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 07, 2022, 08:48:55 pm »

The Worldbank agreed to a support packet of gifts and loans to the Ukrainian government of 723 million dollar (666 million euros)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 07, 2022, 10:44:26 pm »

Can’t have a military coup if the military leadership is all dead
I'd previously had half a thought that some of the cannon-fodder losses by the Russians were 'deliberate', or at least typical Great Patriotic War zerg-rush-against-overwhelming-odds tactics (even though that shouldn't have been necessary), but I can't rationalise the reasoning behind this.

Except for the stalled convoys. Surely not, but still conceivably, engineered as such a tempting target for US-/whoever-led strikes so as to draw in the international community and 'prove' their own status as provacateurs to justify some pre-intended escalation. It's not a sane plan, but it is a plan. An attempted Xanatos-/Thanatos-Gambit, possibly.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 08, 2022, 02:56:16 am »

I really worry for the refugees that are 'evacuated' into Russian territory.
How is Russia going to deal with people that they just shelled and schocked and that want to drink their blood?
I'm kind of afraid that they will send them to death camps.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 08, 2022, 06:54:38 am »

Wasn't expecting this to happen considering how popular that serie of games have been in Russia, but the developers of it are from Ukraine and while not really important in comparison tothe war losses of live, this shows that while Putin is losing the propaganda war worldwide, he's still winning it in his own country ...
https://old.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/t9en89/stalker_franchise_is_getting_review_bombed_on/

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 08, 2022, 11:36:40 am »

Wasn't expecting this to happen considering how popular that serie of games have been in Russia, but the developers of it are from Ukraine and while not really important in comparison tothe war losses of live, this shows that while Putin is losing the propaganda war worldwide, he's still winning it in his own country ...
https://old.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/t9en89/stalker_franchise_is_getting_review_bombed_on/
Even a moderately large minority of nationalists can do this. If anything his support is dropping slowly as sanctions mount, from my experience.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 08, 2022, 11:57:09 am »

It may also be the Russian people are feeling the sanctions and lashing out.  Not everyone on the review bombing is necessarily a Nationalist, some could just be pissed off and are attacking something. Some could just be trolls getting in on the fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 08, 2022, 12:00:07 pm »

Or people that think S.T.A.L.K.E.R is a Russian game and a Russian national icon are review bombing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2022, 12:22:28 pm »

Was there ever any confirmation on the death of the chechen general Magomed Tushayev?

I'm also interested in this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 08, 2022, 12:23:12 pm »

Semi-related.

My boss has had a Ukrainian exchange student for like 5+ years now, living in his home while she goes to college here. She's practically his daughter at this point.

Both of her parents were in Kyiv. Her mother finally evacuated over the border to Moldova but it sounds like the Russians are moving there next. She's older but still of working age, but has no travel companion and so my boss is basically paying for her to get to Budapest. He's going to fly down there next week to travel with her and, US immigration policy withstanding, see if he can't bring her to the US.

AFAIK her father is still in Ukraine and is or will be drafted into the fighting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 08, 2022, 01:35:21 pm »

Apparently Zelensky has ‘cooled down’ on NATO membership for Ukraine.
Opening the door for future compromise with Russia? Is Russia even open to compromise at this point any more?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 08, 2022, 01:53:28 pm »

I would imagine it's more a combination of realizing that there's no realistic way for Ukraine to join NATO and frustration with a lack of help from NATO.  I could possibly see Ukraine using that as a bargaining chip in negotiation with Russia since it was one of Russia's latest peace conditions, but whether they'd cede territory is another matter.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 08, 2022, 02:04:04 pm »

Cold weather is coming to Ukraine... Up to -17C at night. I don't even want to think how many civilians will freeze to death in cities with no heating and no electricity
I would imagine it's more a combination of realizing that there's no realistic way for Ukraine to join NATO and frustration with a lack of help from NATO. I could possibly see Ukraine using that as a bargaining chip in negotiation with Russia since it was one of Russia's latest peace conditions, but whether they'd cede territory is another matter.

Lack of what? Yeah, sure, Zelensky is a little too whiny about lack of the no-fly-zone but without NATO's recon and aid this would be a very different war (Still unwinnable for Russia but way more bloody for Ukrainians).

_____

More lack of help - #BREAKING: Poland says it is ready to deploy all its MiG-29 fighter jets to Rammstein Air Base in Germany and put them at US disposal free of charge in exchange for them being replaced with “used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities”
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:08:38 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 98