Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68506 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2022, 02:34:16 am »

PTW

I'm here to watch WWIII on pay TV before my television melts away.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2022, 02:57:54 am »

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 04:11:03 am »

RRRRR: The software firm I work for has a large (300 people) development department in Kiev. We started cooperation 14 years ago, and it has gone from skeptical, to good, to excellent, to many of our most valuable developers are now in Ukraine.
It's a great country with a great people, and all they have ever wanted was a bit of freedom.
We failed them badly when they were not fast-tracked into NATO after the annexation of Krim.

One fallout I'm thinking about is the future of the UN Security Counsel.
Its entire raison d'etre was to avoid territorial conquest and WAR in general, - it has failed! as one of it's permanent members has blatantly declared war.
I really can't see Russia having a seat after this, but that would be the end of UN as a forum.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 04:22:18 am »

The UN will go the way of the League Of Nations I think. Or it will be reformed and strengthened, but that's a doubt from me.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 05:40:18 am »

I'm not well read on this subject, but I thought it was interesting. It isn't binding, being a recommendation, but it is an alternative to disbanding the UN perhaps. I haven't tried to gauge support for such a thing at the General Assembly either.

United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) resolution 377 A,[1] the "Uniting for Peace" resolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Resolution_377

From the article:
United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) resolution 377 A,[1] the "Uniting for Peace" resolution, states that in any cases where the Security Council, because of a lack of unanimity among its five permanent members (P5), fails to act as required to maintain international peace and security, the General Assembly shall consider the matter immediately and may issue appropriate recommendations to UN members for collective measures, including the use of armed force when necessary, in order to maintain or restore international peace and security. It was adopted 3 November 1950, after fourteen days of Assembly discussions, by a vote of 52 to 5, with 2 abstentions.[2] The resolution was designed to provide the UN with an alternative avenue for action when at least one P5 member is using its veto to obstruct the Security Council from carrying out its functions mandated by the UN Charter.

EDIT:
Uniting for Peace
General Assembly resolution 377 (V)
New York, 3 November 1950

By Christian Tomuschat
Professor emeritus at Humboldt University, Berlin
https://legal.un.org/avl///ha/ufp/ufp.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:50:24 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 06:14:41 am »

Putin went mad. This is the beginning of the end for Russia. There will be no short victorious war even if they'll manage to destroy Ukrainian Army
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 06:16:22 am »

I hate this, PTW.

Ditto. Doesn't really feel comfortable living next to Russia with this imperial aggression going on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 06:23:21 am »

Dear Russians. Please assassinate Putin. He is going to get you all killed. I don't like murder and assaination but I think that killing Putin would be the most peaceful and bloodless way of ending this horrible conflict.

The Ukrainian government has asked Turkey to close the Bosporus for Russian naval vessels. Turkey has not responded yet.
They have the power and the right to control the Bosporus passage though.
(Turkey is allowed by international treaties to set maximum tonnage of passage, but also to require naval vessels to announce their passage at least 8 days in advance. They could tell the Russian navy that they cannot pass).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:37:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 07:15:35 am »

Ukraine is suffering substantial losses and there are major problems on the Southern Front but, so far, there is no collapse of the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 07:59:49 am »

Hm, I'll use this thread instead of ameripol. I am watching both Ukraine/Russia and Taiwan/China, with the former being far more current.

But don't sleep on China. Word is on the street is they are sending a navy toward Taiwan as I type this, or at least sent (some) navy past the international waters to actual Taiwan waters. Australia sent an aircraft to monitor. I think Putin is actually the Pooh Bear's b***** and does what he commands. And China is using Russia as a means to get Taiwan.

As for Ukraine, I have been watching a streamer/youtuber for FFXIV from Ukraine, she looked very scared yesterday. Hoped she could get into Poland, but its tough times over there. And its looking like there are calls across many game sites and stores (including steam forums) to outright ban access to steam from Russia.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 08:01:32 am by The_Explorer »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 09:14:23 am »

The Russian nazis have bombarded a hospital in Eastern Ukraine. Amongst the dead and injured are 6 doctors.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 10:02:21 am »

This morning, the Russian stock market MOEX opened with half of it's total value lost. 160 billions euros worth of stocks vanished into thin air.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 10:32:50 am »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Russian attacks hit a storage site for nuclear waste from the Tsjernobyl disaster.

President Zelensky calls it a 'declaration of war towards the whole of Europe'
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:58:22 am by martinuzz »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 10:58:54 am »

Metadata has shown that Putin's declaration of war yesterday, during the assembly of the security council, was pre-recorded a few days earlier.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 98