Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68838 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2022, 01:49:21 pm »

Earlier I read they were willing to help Ukraine. Or was it the Czech Republic? Fuck you guys need to be more creative in naming your countries next time!
Says the guy from Equadorial Peruvuzela or some other impossible to remember country :P
LOL!!!! :D

Now Russia have two options, retreat or start commiting more troops and increase the intensity. Both options have about two millions ways to be done each.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2022, 01:54:07 pm »

I get the feeling Putin is just going to dig himself deeper. The real question is, will the logistical fuckups pile up to such a degree that an intervention might be able to make some headway before he can get nukes in the air, assuming any other country will ever get bold enough to take such a step.

Of course, we're already at the point where suspecting Putin might be the one to start WWIII even with no direct NATO intervention, an outcome that can't be completely disregarded just yet. This is a big problem because it turns NATO's lack of action into a catch-22, the odds are growing by the day that acting and not acting may both risk nuclear war.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2022, 01:54:25 pm »

Ukraine is claiming to have shot down a transport full of paratroopers, and there's a separate claim that the units Russia brought from Chechnya were ambushed and destroyed. No conversation on either claim.
No one else brought this up but this this from the US mentioning the offer of extraction for Zelensky also contains two US officials' confirmation of the shooting down of the two transport planes, so at least the US believes it occurred.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2022, 01:55:43 pm »

I don't know if this actually means some sort of emergency vote of no confidence, aiming for a coup, or merely some sort of effort towards a campaign on the platform of getting Belarus out of being a Russian puppet.
From my limited understanding it probably means jack all -- the belarus opposition has apparently had the shit well beat out of it for a while now. They're unlikely to try or accomplish much of anything, in other words. Maybe some symbolic protests, but likely little else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2022, 01:59:37 pm »

From my limited understanding it probably means jack all -- the belarus opposition has apparently had the shit well beat out of it for a while now. They're unlikely to try or accomplish much of anything, in other words. Maybe some symbolic protests, but likely little else.
Not just beat, shot too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2022, 02:05:24 pm »

Turkey can't seal the straits. Montreux Convention just doesn't allows that. Yes, the authorities here did deny having closed them.

But can't we do that this once?! This is an emergency, not a time to respect some archaic agreement that was between Turkey and a now-defunct empire and a federation.
Yeah, its illegal but the laws only matter if there is someone to enforce them.
They might get a little shade from the west for breaking a old treaty if they do it, but really aside from Russia nobody will care, and (IIRC) Erdogan and Putin are already enemies, soo...
I don't know if this actually means some sort of emergency vote of no confidence, aiming for a coup, or merely some sort of effort towards a campaign on the platform of getting Belarus out of being a Russian puppet.
Yeah, its pretty meaningless. Going "I declare myself president" really doesn't matter unless you are in a position to seize power somehow. Sadly, the democrats in Belarus are very much not in that position.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2022, 02:28:26 pm »

Lukashenka committed treason – he made our country a participant in the invasion of Ukraine. So I declared myself as the national leader of Belarus to protect the sovereignty & independence of our country, represent it in security negotiations & crisis management in the region. - Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya

Wish it was that easy xD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2022, 02:36:03 pm »

In other news, I'd been curious what response to this the Life of Boris channel would have, and...I'm sad now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEuLeLt6qsk
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2022, 02:49:33 pm »

There's a video of what appears to be Ramzan Kadyrov regretting sending troops into Ukraine.

I don't speak Russian, but from what others have translated, he's surprised by the resistance and weapons the Chechens face.

EDIT: Aaand the link's broken. Uploader probably deleted it, not sure if I trust the source, now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:56:18 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2022, 02:52:20 pm »

There is a lot of fakes and information warfare going on currently, also from "trusted" sources.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2022, 03:48:24 pm »

Ukraine is claiming to have shot down a transport full of paratroopers, and there's a separate claim that the units Russia brought from Chechnya were ambushed and destroyed. No conversation on either claim.
No one else brought this up but this this from the US mentioning the offer of extraction for Zelensky also contains two US officials' confirmation of the shooting down of the two transport planes, so at least the US believes it occurred.

The US has AWACS and JSTARS radar aircraft (the former for looking at planes, the latter for the ground) orbiting Ukraine since the war started, so US claims are probably pretty solid. This is no secret - the planes have the transponder on and couldn't be more obvious without a "shoot me" sign.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2022, 04:34:19 pm »

Somehow Russia is evidently pulling enough of itself together to ready up a much larger attack on Kyiv, it seems.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2022, 04:47:34 pm »

Putin ordering more human wave attacks probably.

More footage is popping up. Saw one of Ukrainian soldiers inspecting a destroyed BMD and the bodies of its crew, another of a Ukrainian NLAW team watching a tank engage infantry behind burning Russian vehicles. Also images of what are purported to be the captured commander of a Russian armor unit and his ID.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2022, 04:57:11 pm »

Reports of more paratroopers going into Kiev. Not sure how they expect these to do better than all the other minimally-supported paras they've sent in.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 98