Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68805 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2022, 12:00:46 pm »

There are reports of Russian TV channels are being hacked, playing Ukrainian music.

Anyone in Russia here that can confirm?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2022, 12:05:51 pm »

They could close exiting ships, not incoming ones.

In time of war, Turkey not being belligerent, warships shall enjoy complete freedom of transit and navigation through the Straits under the same conditions as those laid down in Articles 10 to 18.

Vessels of war belonging to belligerent Powers shall not, however, pass through the Straits except in cases arising out of the application of Article 25 of the present Convention, and in cases of assistance rendered to a State victim of aggression in virtue of a treaty of mutual assistance binding Turkey, concluded within the framework of the Covenant of the League of Nations, and registered and published in accordance with the provisions of Article 18 of the Covenant.
Article 19, Montreux Convention.

Article 25 is just boilerplate to ensure the Convention doesn't "prejudice the rights and obligations of Turkey or [...] High Contracting Powers members of the League of Nations, arising out of the Covenant of the League of Nations."

And there's hardly any "mutual assistance" involved here, so I think Turkey is free to close the straits both ways.
You are probably right, I recall reading something about not being legal to block ships returning to their (home) port but can't find it now.

Chechnyan president Ramzan Kadirov has announced that Chechnya's army will be joining the Russian invasion of the Ukraine.
Earlier I read they were willing to help Ukraine. Or was it the Czech Republic? Fuck you guys need to be more creative in naming your countries next time!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:11:18 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 26, 2022, 12:28:25 pm »

Allegedly, a Russian Major in command of a tank battalion has been captured by Ukraine.

Seeing some photos and chatter out there.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 26, 2022, 12:35:09 pm »

There are reports of Russian TV channels are being hacked, playing Ukrainian music.

Anyone in Russia here that can confirm?
Saw nothing, might not be in my location.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 26, 2022, 12:44:33 pm »

Earlier I read they were willing to help Ukraine. Or was it the Czech Republic? Fuck you guys need to be more creative in naming your countries next time!
Says the guy from Equadorial Peruvuzela or some other impossible to remember country :P

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 26, 2022, 12:57:40 pm »

Chechnyans are on both sides in various capacities, but the government/state is on Russia's side (of course).

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2022, 01:04:33 pm »

Turkey can't seal the straits. Montreux Convention just doesn't allows that. Yes, the authorities here did deny having closed them.

But can't we do that this once?! This is an emergency, not a time to respect some archaic agreement that was between Turkey and a now-defunct empire and a federation.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2022, 01:27:56 pm »

US officials have confirmed that two Il-76 transports from paratroop units have been shot down by Ukranian forces. These aircraft could have hekd up to 120 paras each (could also have been carrying vehicles or supplies).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2022, 01:31:39 pm »

There's reports of Russian soldiers running out of fuel and rations. Really sounds like Russia was expecting Ukraine to collapse and surrender like Afghan did to the Taliban. Makes you wonder how much their higher-ups bought into their own propoganda about Ukraine...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2022, 01:32:23 pm »

Germany is officially sending 1000 AT weapons and 500 Stinger missiles to Ukraine.
Yeah, our Dutch government is now also sending 400 advanced RPGs that were waiting on the okay from Germany. Another 200 Stinger missiles are underway to the Ukraine as well.

EDIT: Two Danish reporters from Ekstra Bladet were shot in Eastern Ukraine. They were rushed to hospital. They are injured but not life-threatening.

https://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/krigogkatastrofer/ebs-journalister-saaret-af-skud/9148707
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 01:35:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2022, 01:36:21 pm »

Can you explain? I don't do Twitter.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2022, 01:41:01 pm »

Belarus' role in this conflict may potentially get more complicated soon.
Well now things are just getting spicy. Putin might have to start committing troops into Belarus, now, rather than just passing through.

Sviatlana's position in... Poland, I think, might create a risk of escalation.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a revolution in Belarus and Russia... but it would be nice.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2022, 01:48:22 pm »

Can you explain? I don't do Twitter.

Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, the main opposition candidate who ran against Belarus' current president, basically just stated Lukashenko has committed high treason by letting Russian troops press-gang the country into helping with the invasion, and, as she put it, has declared herself the national leader of Belarus.

I don't know if this actually means some sort of emergency vote of no confidence, aiming for a coup, or merely some sort of effort towards a campaign on the platform of getting Belarus out of being a Russian puppet.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 98