Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68813 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1245 on: March 28, 2022, 10:56:12 pm »

You mean like their much touted hypersonic missile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV30irsal-w

(its a humorous thing for dark times, but ...its (probably) pretty fitting really at the same time)

God, that was amazing! Is the rest of the movie like that? I've always heard that The Dictator was a bad movie, but how can it be with jokes like that?

The movie is pretty terrible tbh. But its so terrible its hilarious. Won't spoil anything, but there is this one scene where if I DID try to type it, it take me like a good few minutes cause it cracks me up just talking about it. Its kinda my (and my wife's type of humor, my best friend thought was hilarious too) so if its your thing, pretty much the whole movie is like that, though it gets pretty R rated kinda toward the end for no reason (just one or two unneeded scenes), only part(s) that I skip over. But I think there is a non-r rated version out there, but my wife didnt buy that one :( I recall seeing it once and was much better for me, but its been a while so maybe was thinking of a different movie.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: March 29, 2022, 12:35:31 am »

If this won't convenience people that there is no more room for diplomacy with Putin in 2022 than for diplomacy with Hitler in 1941, I don't know what will

Yeah, I really hope people will very soon realize that Putin and his lackeys have to be taken down. We can't sacrifice Ukrainians to a school-yard bully who doesn't want to stop.
Indeed. The only peace deal should be "Russia abandons DNR and LNR and withdraws from Crimea". This will also likely end Putin's reign (or life) in short order TBH.

I would like to say that I am sick of hearing about how the Russian people are all apparently innocent victims and how we shouldn't hurt them with sanctions boo hoo  :( :(.

There was a recording of a Russian soldier calling home to his wife, saying how he looted a bunch of gold and perfume from a civilian's flat. What I'm concerned most about is not this obvious asswipe's statements. It's how his wife responded to it. She didn't ask him why he would do something like that, what's wrong with him. She immediately started gleefully asking what kind of perfume it was, whether it was men's or women's. Can you imagine if an American soldier had this conversation with his wife?

"It's just Putin(R)(C)" my ass. Putin didn't vote in a KGB fuck. Putin didn't support and cheer on a fascist as he brutally suppressed opposition. I am done being so super sensitive and tolerant to their feelings after watching outrage after outrage. How many Russians have relatives in Ukraine who can show them directly what is happening? Imperialism and fascism are in their culture. The Russian people are culpable. The sanctions are their just desserts. I've seen people (probably Russian trolls) acting like Russians are going to starve because of the sanctions, as if Russia isn't a net grain exporter. Russians seem so concerned with them being victims of a lack of iPhones and Big Macs while their army flattens cities. They have a collective massive victim complex and a collective desire for subjugation of others. They're so afraid of their police with rubber batons and their two-day jail stays. 100 people died in Ukraine protesting a corrupt government. There are crowds of people in Ukraine who are willing to protest and rebuff and resist armed soldiers with tanks and military vehicles. Major protests in Armenia, in Belarus against their corrupt governments. What about Russia? Couple weak sauce thousand-people protests in millions-of-people cities? Where a police officer occasionally pulls a guy away and releases him the next day? I've been to bigger protests about the war in SAN FRANCISCO, AN 800,000 PEOPLE CITY THAT IS TEN THOUSAND KILOMETERS AWAY. Russia is not pulling its weight in this matter. Russia is an embarassment of a country.
The punishment for criticizing the government is 15 years of jail. It's a huge pile of bullshit that Russians don't protest because they are all fascists. The truth is, if I'm going to get arrested and go to jail for a large chunk of my life for it, I'm not going out. And that is a mentality most Russians share, and I suspect all other nations do. It's basic self-preservation. You are also underselling how hard they're cracking down on the protests, after seeing a picture of someone beaten up by police, all my remaining desire to protest vanished.

I'd protest if everyone else was, but alas, it's a feedback loop. Besides, in San Francisco you won't get arrested for criticizing the Russian government. Also I support the sanctions.

I'll just leave when needed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:48:13 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: March 29, 2022, 01:30:57 am »

Snip

Yep, if Russia had no dictatorship they would easily overthrow the dictatorship but because they have a dictator...

Saying this, the time for peaceful protests in Russia is over and I am against senseless acts like those solo protests that help nobody. The tiny, tiny minority that opposes Putin Russian Fascism should either keep themself safe or risk\sacrafice their wellbeing doing something that actually MATTERS. You need like 200K+ crowd in Moscow for peaceful protest to be meaningful and there are no 200K+ people in Moscow capable of doing so. 10K+ of protesters that ready to riot and start fighting OMON with Molotovs and bricks but... there are no 10K+ people like that in Moscow either

Your signature says "It is not a sin to die for freedom" and it is such a fitting slogan for the liberal opposition of Russia. It contrasts so well with a Ukrainian idiom "Рабів до раю не пускають" meaning "Slaves are not allowed to Heaven.".
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: March 29, 2022, 02:03:07 am »

Roman Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators have probably been victims of poisoning.

Source: The Independent
I couldn´t read the full Independent article because it´s behind a paywall. But both Guardian and Al Jazeera cast serious doubt on whether this is actually true or just a rumor.

From https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/abramovich-and-ukrainian-mp-may-have-been-poisoned-this-month

Much about the story remains murky.

Umerov wrote on Facebook that he was “fine”, and called on people not to trust “unverified information”. A US official cast further doubt on the account. “The intelligence highly suggests this was environmental,” the official told Reuters, adding: “Eg, not poisoning.”

Asked for comment, a spokesperson for the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said: “There is a lot of speculation at the moment, and we recommend to only follow official information.”

And from https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/28/russias-abramovich-suffered-symptoms-of-suspected-poisoning-reports:

Ukraine officials urge caution

Later on Monday, Ukrainian officials poured cold water on the report. Asked about the suspected poisoning, Ukrainian negotiator Mykhailo Podolyak said “there is a lot of speculation, various conspiracy theories”.

Rustem Umerov, another member of the negotiating team, urged people not to trust “unverified information”.

A US official said intelligence suggested the sickening of Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators was due to an environmental factor, not poisoning.

The US official told Reuters: “The intelligence highly suggests this was environmental,” adding: “Eg, not poisoning.” The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, declined to elaborate.

Unfortunately, both the Guardian and Al Jazeera still have headlines reading they "may have been poisoned". You need to read the whole thing to see it's a bit of a clickbait title.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:06:04 am by Quarque »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: March 29, 2022, 02:07:56 am »

Snip

Yep, if Russia had no dictatorship they would easily overthrow the dictatorship but because they have a dictator...

Saying this, the time for peaceful protests in Russia is over and I am against senseless acts like those solo protests that help nobody. The tiny, tiny minority that opposes Putin Russian Fascism should either keep themself safe or risk\sacrafice their wellbeing doing something that actually MATTERS. You need like 200K+ crowd in Moscow for peaceful protest to be meaningful and there are no 200K+ people in Moscow capable of doing so. 10K+ of protesters that ready to riot and start fighting OMON with Molotovs and bricks but... there are no 10K+ people like that in Moscow either

Your signature says "It is not a sin to die for freedom" and it is such a fitting slogan for the liberal opposition of Russia. It contrasts so well with a Ukrainian idiom "Рабів до раю не пускають" meaning "Slaves are not allowed to Heaven.".
It's far from a tiny minority, even at the beginning of the war a huge percentage of Russians opposed it. But yes, a revolt is necessary, and we can't know if one is being prepared right now because such things tend to be underground at first. But as it is, I'll revolt if I see a revolt, not to mention I am far from Moscow.

The thing about my signature is that it's pointless if I die for... nothing, as would happen if I went and threw a fit right now, then got tortured and killed/jailed. I would grab a rifle, or a Molotov, and fight with any rebellion against Putin if one happened, however!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: March 29, 2022, 05:39:15 am »

I am highly skeptical about the video assumedly showing Ukrainian forces shooting captives in the legs.

I mean, if you are so obviously committing war crimes, why film it? That makes no sense.

It reeks of fake.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: March 29, 2022, 05:42:56 am »

I am highly skeptical about the video assumedly showing Ukrainian forces shooting captives in the legs.

I mean, if you are so obviously committing war crimes, why film it? That makes no sense.

It reeks of fake.

https://twitter.com/Ars_Faivre/status/1508036906088636423 - this Twitter thread looks at the video more carefully 
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: March 29, 2022, 09:02:26 am »

The Nethelands kicked 17 Russian diplomats out of the country, after intelligence services determined they were conducting espionage missions.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: March 29, 2022, 10:36:19 am »

Wow Russia is intent on burning every bridge they have in the entire world, heh?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: March 29, 2022, 10:47:06 am »

Except the one they have to China.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: March 29, 2022, 10:50:34 am »

Wow Russia is intent on burning every bridge they have in the entire world, heh?
It's not like they suddenly have started spying out of the blue. Embassy personnel everywhere often doubles as spies, and the host countries try to keep tabs on which of them are. This is generally tolerated as par for the course, until they want to make a point or something egregious happens.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: March 29, 2022, 11:11:24 am »

Belgium, Ireland, and the Czech Republic also expelled some diplomats for the same reasons, so it looks like a coordinated EU effort. article. Two thirds or more of the diplomats remained.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: March 29, 2022, 11:33:58 am »

Mariupol really needs a cease fire. No water, no electricity, no heating, no food, no communications... I don't think anyone left trapped there is interested in a Russian's motives or concerns anymore. The only thing left worth considering is a Russian's nutritional value, and which parts are safe to eat.

(During the hunger winter of 44'- 45' in the Netherlands, some people actually ate dead german soldiers if they could get their hands on unnoticed corpses. They called it 'schweinefleisch'. Starvation overrules pretense of civilization)

This probably also had to do with how the Germans ran things in occupied territory. If a dead German soldier was found, 10-100 random civilians were executed in reprisal. If a German soldier went missing, it was considered desertion and no one was killed. Better to eat dead Germans and feed their bones to the pigs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:58:24 pm by martinuzz »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: March 29, 2022, 12:45:29 pm »

Widespread outrage at Putin continues to mount online even on the Russian web. Support is shrinking from what I've seen.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 98