Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68795 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1230 on: March 28, 2022, 04:23:24 pm »

There's some hope that it may actually work better than last time, but as I mentioned before we're already at the point where dangerous precedents are being set, and tons of innocents are losing their homes and lives, so even if everything goes right this is going to have repercussions, I fear. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 28, 2022, 04:49:08 pm »

UK Ministry of Defence says that Wagner Group mercenaries have been deployed to Ukraine.

Spoiler: from BBC live updates (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 28, 2022, 04:53:16 pm »

...now that Russia has set its precedent, other countries can deputize their mercenaries as Ukrainian and sent them over.  Bad move, Russia!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 28, 2022, 05:03:18 pm »

If we're talking about mercenaries, let me share you some insider info. According to a Ukrainian soldier I know, Belorussians have apparently joined the war, but they're doing it unofficially. Dunno if it's mercenaries, patriotic early volunteers, or some secret conscription effort, but the Ukrainian army has had a few confrontations with Belorussian troops.

Allegedly though. As much as I like my guy, I find it hard to believe that this would have been kept a secret if it were true. And the evidence he used to back up his claim was relatively shaky (something to do with Belorussian shell casings).

Take this news with massive salt. I'm only posting this so I can say "I knew it!" if an official story ever breaks out.

...now that Russia has set its precedent, other countries can deputize their mercenaries as Ukrainian and sent them over.  Bad move, Russia!

I'm confused, what do you mean. From the quote, it seems like the Wagner's are Russian. Aren't they?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 28, 2022, 05:04:02 pm »

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/unprotected-russian-soldiers-disturbed-radioactive-dust-chernobyls-red-forest-2022-03-28/

One of the employees said he had spoken to some of the rank-and-file Russian soldiers at the plant.
"When they were asked if they knew about the 1986 catastrophe, the explosion of the fourth block (of the Chernobyl plant), they did not have a clue. They had no idea what kind of a facility they were at," he said.
"We talked to regular soldiers. All we heard from them was 'It's critically important infrastructure'. That was it," the man said.

Wow.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 28, 2022, 05:14:39 pm »

I'm confused, what do you mean. From the quote, it seems like the Wagner's are Russian. Aren't they?
From what I understand, the Wagner's are Russian.  Yet as deniable mercenaries, it sets a precedent.  If another country teaches their mercenaries to speak Ukrainian, they can use this to send mercenaries to support Ukraine.  It is easier for a country to organize mercenaries than volunteers as deniable manpower assistance.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 28, 2022, 05:19:19 pm »

From the quote, it seems like the Wagner's are Russian. Aren't they?

Yeah, they're Russian, but the Russian government denies being affiliated to the group. It's been said to be Putin's private army and that it's just a disguised branch of the Russian Ministry of Defence used in foreign conflicts (granting plausible deniability).

Edit: Their leading figure Dmitry Utkin allegedly likes the Third Reich and has neo-nazi connections (not to mention his nazi tattoos).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 28, 2022, 05:29:50 pm »

Wagner are the guys they use to attack US positions in the Middle East without officially doing so. Some of you might recall an incident during the Obama admin where Obama called Putin up to complain about an attack, and Putin insisted Russia was uninvolved. So Obama authorized local commands to wipe out the attacking force with airpower, and Putin couldn't protest after his denials. That was Wagner.

Wagner are execrable soldiers in any real combat, and they're unlikely to be able to warcrime worse than the Russians are already doing. The odds of them getting annihilated without accomplishing much are high.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 28, 2022, 06:05:03 pm »

Didn't they already get sent in to try and assassinate Zelensky and got their shit pushed in?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 28, 2022, 06:11:49 pm »

Didn't they already get sent in to try and assassinate Zelensky and got their shit pushed in?

There were three attempts of which at least one was allegedly by the Warner Group (Chechen spec ops were also involved in some attempts), iirc.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 28, 2022, 06:34:04 pm »

"Meet the finest in deniable Russian Assets, our elite forces that will win us this conflict!"
"I believe the American Term is...Cannon Fodder."  :P

Seriously, the only thing Russia needs to complete their Nazi Impression is Wunderweapons.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:27 pm »

You mean like their much touted hypersonic missile?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 28, 2022, 10:02:09 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV30irsal-w

(its a humorous thing for dark times, but ...its (probably) pretty fitting really at the same time)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 28, 2022, 10:06:03 pm »

There were three attempts of which at least one was allegedly by the Warner Group (Chechen spec ops were also involved in some attempts), iirc.

Yakko, Wakko, and Dot?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 28, 2022, 10:10:34 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV30irsal-w

(its a humorous thing for dark times, but ...its (probably) pretty fitting really at the same time)

God, that was amazing! Is the rest of the movie like that? I've always heard that The Dictator was a bad movie, but how can it be with jokes like that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98