Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68890 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1020 on: March 21, 2022, 01:48:06 pm »

Well stay strong Max, whatever you do. I can't imagine what it is like, to live in a state that's slipping into totalitarianism.
Thank you.

If you or any friends can use money to leave the country, when you can leave, PM me. I have a couple hundred dollars at least I can send you.

Same for you and your friends Strongpoint, I had money saved to help my childhood friend from Ukraine but his family and friends are in the east and he says there is nothing that can be done to help get them out short of action by world governments. So if I can help you a little I'll do that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 21, 2022, 01:51:16 pm »

Reporters Without Borders says an Ukrainian journalist was kidnapped for 9 days.

During this period the journalist was subjected to torture (beatings, electric shocks, mock execution), which sounds pretty much like FSB interrogation tactics.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 21, 2022, 01:55:00 pm »

According to The Guardian, Belarus is getting ready to invade Ukraine, and perparing to have Russian nuclear weapons installed.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/belarus-bereidt-zich-voor-op-offensief-zegt-navo-functionaris-zeker-acht-doden-door-bombardement-op-winkelcentrum-in-kyiv~b4e88c77/

Reporters Without Borders says an Ukrainian journalist was kidnapped for 9 days.

During this period the journalist was subjected to torture (beatings, electric shocks, mock execution), which sounds pretty much like FSB interrogation tactics.
This morning, 4 Ukrainian journalists were kidnapped from their homes in Melitopol.
Melitopolskie Vedomosti editors Mykhailo Kumok, Yevhenia Borian and journalists Yulia Olkhovska and Liubov Chaika were taken by armed men to an unknown location.
They were released some hours later. Their condition is unknown.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:59:07 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 21, 2022, 02:25:32 pm »

According to The Guardian, Belarus is getting ready to invade Ukraine, and perparing to have Russian nuclear weapons installed.

Let's hope the Belarusian soldiers will shoot their officers and sabotage the war efforts.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 21, 2022, 03:47:22 pm »

Let's hope the Belarusian soldiers will shoot their officers and sabotage the war efforts.

Fat chance. I actually know someone who worked with Belorussians (try to guess why I used the past tense) and they told me that their country is completely under Putin's thumb. Whatever propaganda Russia is under, they are too, and since Putin isn't actively running that country into the ground, they have even less reason to oppose him than the Russians do.

Frankly, it makes me incredibly angry, just like I got angry when I was worried that China would bail Russia out of the sanctions.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 21, 2022, 08:28:48 pm »

There's been persistent unconfirmed rumors that they were supposed to go in weeks ago, but mutinied.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 21, 2022, 08:35:49 pm »

I heard a story on Discord that some Belarusian engineers sabotaged the rail lines leading from Belarus to Ukraine, preventing Russian trains from bringing supplies in via that route. Unfortunately I haven't heard any follow-up so that may not have happened.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 22, 2022, 06:00:19 am »

I heard a story on Discord that some Belarusian engineers sabotaged the rail lines leading from Belarus to Ukraine, preventing Russian trains from bringing supplies in via that route. Unfortunately I haven't heard any follow-up so that may not have happened.

I think it was mentioned by some news, but that the story was unverified.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1028 on: March 22, 2022, 06:33:42 am »

Interesting article examining whether the Russian air force is withholding its air force because it chose to, or because it is institutionally limited in its planning abilities

E.g. Russia can conduct strikes involving 1-3 strike craft in Syria, but doesn't know how to scale operations up to fully employ 700+ strike craft in Ukraine. This would explain how they're fairing so poorly against Ukraine's <70 fighter planes, if the Ukrainians are only ever fighting small outnumbered groups of Russian aircraft on the tactical level

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 22, 2022, 06:40:21 am »

Interesting article examining whether the Russian air force is withholding its air force because it chose to, or because it is institutionally limited in its planning abilities

E.g. Russia can conduct strikes involving 1-3 strike craft in Syria, but doesn't know how to scale operations up to fully employ 700+ strike craft in Ukraine. This would explain how they're fairing so poorly against Ukraine's <70 fighter planes, if the Ukrainians are only ever fighting small outnumbered groups of Russian aircraft on the tactical level

They severely reduced aircraft operations in recent days. The only place where their airforce is used rather extensively is Mariupol because there is no Ukrainian air defense left in the area. Those guys don't even have Stingers because USA forbade supplying those to the Azov regiment.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 22, 2022, 08:08:43 am »

Fat chance. I actually know someone who worked with Belorussians (try to guess why I used the past tense) and they told me that their country is completely under Putin's thumb. Whatever propaganda Russia is under, they are too, and since Putin isn't actively running that country into the ground, they have even less reason to oppose him than the Russians do.

Frankly, it makes me incredibly angry, just like I got angry when I was worried that China would bail Russia out of the sanctions.

The largest anti-government protests in Belarusian history occurred a little over a year ago, even though it was crushed by Sasha 3% and his goons, I think that rage is even more pent up now and it's waiting for an opportunity to be unleashed again, or so I hope.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 22, 2022, 09:28:59 am »

Speaking of Belarus, BBC put up an interview with some Belarusian dissidents heading to help Ukraine fight Russia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQGCtVzyjbA

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 22, 2022, 09:38:07 am »

Navalny has been sentenced by the Russian court to 9 years imprisonment in an extra secure penal colony, for fraud, and for contempt of the court.

EDIT: The new law where 'spreading false information about the military' could be punished with 15 years imprisonment has today been expanded by the Russian parliament.
Henceforth, anyone 'critisizing the Russian government' will face 15 years prison.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:02:53 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:28 am »

EDIT: The new law where 'spreading false information about the military' could be punished with 15 years imprisonment has today been expanded by the Russian parliament.
Henceforth, anyone 'critisizing the Russian government' will face 15 years prison.

He believes Putin will dial up the authoritarianism even further and bring back Stalin's Reign of Terror.

It’s starting...
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 22, 2022, 11:20:01 am »

So what's next on the checklist? Is it the ethnic cleansing of everyone in Russia Putin dislikes, or is it nuking Ukraine...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98