Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 68821 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1005 on: March 20, 2022, 10:40:51 pm »

Re: nazis being punished as nazis:

I guess they can all expect cushy jobs in the US, then.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 20, 2022, 11:51:02 pm »

Have you guys ever watched a youtuber named Kraut? He's a dude who makes educational videos on history while using countryballs.

Though it sounds like a gimmick, I will go as far as to say that he is the best/most-thorough history-tuber on the site. His stuff is legendary. He's definitely the best I've ever seen and I've watched quite a few.

Point is, I have a lot of respect for him, but today I discovered a concerning post he made a few days ago, and I feel morally obligated to share it with the Russians who browse here.

Spoiler: Quote of the post (click to show/hide)

To sum it up, he doesn't believe Putin's regime will collapse if Russia loses the war. He believes Putin will dial up the authoritarianism even further and bring back Stalin's Reign of Terror. He believes that Russians should do everything they can to get out of the country while they're still able too.

A youtuber probably won't convince anyone to leave, but I share this because it may convince some people to start considering the possibility, and maybe some will be able to get out in time.

Though some of us talk a strong game about fighting oppression, the truth is that I'm a filthy emigrant who abandoned his motherland long ago. I see no reason to hold people to a standard that I myself won't follow, so here is my empathy instead.

Aside: If you want some insight into the person sharing this advice, I've got some great video recommendations for you. His video on Greece's dept crisis is a good starter. It's relatively short, and it brings a lot of novel insights into the issue at hand, explaining the role the country's culture and corruption played in its collapse. It's a perspective you've probably never heard before.

If you want the best of the best though, I recommend his triology of videos on the history of Mexico. When combined, they make up a multi-hour epic that goes deep into Mexico's tragic history and while explaining why it is the dysfunctional country it is today. It covers everything from its days as a Spanish colony to the present. There's a good chance that it's the most through video on the subject out there (not many people care about Mexican history that much unfortunately).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:53:05 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2022, 01:34:44 am »

Also, sorry Max. I shouldn't have said that to you. I know you are one of the good gals. I'm just angry, scared, and confused.

I actually believe that the best thing liberally-minded Russians can do is to flee while there is still the possibility of doing so. Becoming Sophie Scholl in an increasingly totalitarian state is heroic but... ultimately useless. If I'd be a Russian citizen I would flee. Even China looks preferable

Time for protests is over. It could work years ago and it is sad that the healthy part of Russian society didn't really try (at least like Belarussians) but now it is too late for peaceful or lightly violent (rocks, molotovs) protests. And armed resistance is useless.

I said earlier, I hoped for ONE Russian diplomat to resign. I hoped for one Russian pilot to land his Jet in a neutral state and saying "I did it to not follow criminal orders". I hoped for one major Russian celebrity fleeing Russia and giving press-conference naming Putin a monster... It would mean a lot. But no such people exist.

The closest thing to this is that Russian journalist with an anti-war message but even was an anti-war message not "Russia had become a criminal state" kind of message.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 21, 2022, 01:35:51 am »

Valid point. I hope he's wrong but if it starts getting really bad I'll leave. I can't right now.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 21, 2022, 03:43:53 am »

Max, if you flee to China, I'll do my best to set you up with a job/apartment. Same goes to any Ukrainians who choose flight.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 21, 2022, 03:52:28 am »

Seeing more reports of major counterattacks to the west of Kyiv.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 21, 2022, 03:57:30 am »

Max, if you flee to China, I'll do my best to set you up with a job/apartment. Same goes to any Ukrainians who choose flight.
I'm not going to China, I'm going to Kazakhstan and from there taking a plane to somewhere else, preferably somewhere in Europe. But for now I'll wait and see, and hope for a coup or for something to rile up the people enough for a violent revolt. Not to mention that due to personal reasons I can't leave right now.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 21, 2022, 04:14:22 am »

Well stay strong Max, whatever you do. I can't imagine what it is like, to live in a state that's slipping into totalitarianism.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 21, 2022, 04:39:32 am »

Aside: If you want some insight into the person sharing this advice, I've got some great video recommendations for you. His video on Greece's dept crisis is a good starter. It's relatively short, and it brings a lot of novel insights into the issue at hand, explaining the role the country's culture and corruption played in its collapse. It's a perspective you've probably never heard before.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 21, 2022, 05:13:42 am »

Well stay strong Max, whatever you do. I can't imagine what it is like, to live in a state that's slipping into totalitarianism.
Thank you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 21, 2022, 09:18:39 am »

The last two journalists have left Mariupol, to escape a manhunt for them by the Russians.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-europe-edf7240a9d990e7e3e32f82ca351dede

EDIT: Russia has banned Facebook and Instagram, considering their company, Meta Platforms, an extremist organisation.
WhatsApp doen not fall under the ban.
Facebook is accused of terrorist activities by allowing people to post 'death to the Russian invaders'.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:31:03 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 21, 2022, 10:18:42 am »

Russia has banned Facebook and Instagram, considering their company, Meta Platforms, an extremist organisation.
Facebook is accused of terrorist activities by allowing people to post 'death to the Russian invaders'.

Heh. Now Facebook and ISIS have the same status in Russia. Isn't it a success?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 21, 2022, 10:22:38 am »

I’m glad you were able to finally feel represented in the video. The truth needs to be spread!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 21, 2022, 10:26:01 am »

Russia has banned Facebook and Instagram, considering their company, Meta Platforms, an extremist organisation.

Heh. Now Facebook and ISIS have the same status in Russia. Isn't it a success?

I mean...are they wrong? If someone was posting "Death To Americans" on FB they'd be banned immediately.

This really is testing the limits and fairness of what policing online platforms is about. If FB says it's ok for users to post "Death to Russian Invaders" on their platform, they're not really holding to their policy of not allowing that kind of speech. Which means the policy is arbitrary. Which means it's not a policy.

The ironic cherry on top is that Russian cy-ops have been manipulating FB for years and years now. Basically playing both sides of the field. And here's clueless FB in the middle, just making money...probably.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 21, 2022, 01:25:40 pm »

A 96 year old man that had survived 4 concentration camps in nazi Germany has been killed by a Russian bomb hitting his home in Charkov.
Boris Romantschenko was taken by the Germans when he was 16, to be a forced laborer in Dortmund.
He escaped, and was captured again, and sent to the infamous concentration camps Buchenwald, Bergen-Belsen, Peenemünde and Mittelbau-Dora.

The international comittee Buchenwald-Dora, of which he was the vice-chairman, mourns the loss of a good friend, who spent his life keeping the memory of nazi crimes alive.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 98