Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 35914 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

((if it's changed that way then it has a mana efficiency problem, because it damages the user just as much as it damages the target. the *smart* way to use it at that point is to use it like a pure damage NP, burn all my mana all at once to delete a target, and if the attack fails, then I die. The big deal here is that Irine was permitted to spend four turns entirely on building herself up (territory creation, orb 1, orb 2, orb 3) Since her entire archetype is based on building momentum, giving her as much time as an entire shorter fight lasts from beginning to end in order to build momentum is going to end up in her favor. This isn't exactly news. I suggest simply not letting her build up like that if you don't want her to trivialize a fight, or alternately to make her fight more / tougher enemies when she is given prep time. she also is very much vulnerable to ambushes, which is why her first action when ambushed was to run away.

to put it another way, the price Irine pays for her power is time, and in this demo fight she was given infinite time, so she didn't have to pay the price her power normally has.

and finally, if you did make the change you're suggesting Irine would simply have taken more time in the territory so she'd have come out with 6 orbs instead of three, and she'd have trivialized the fight again that way.))

Current form: full-fox
Current Mana: 100/100

generate a new flame orb to finish off the wounded Wyvern, and use my three current ones to burn down the other one.
<Back off. I'm not prey.>

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Time for the Doc to get to work. He takes a tooth removal tool from his belt and uses it to pull a scale as if it was a molar. With the protective plating gone, he fills the new opening with bullets.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

Stab closest wyvern.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine
Magic Check: 7 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (2 Fire Orbs Created)
Irine Loses 20 Mana (Now 80)
Wyvern 1 Mana Check: 8 (Failure)
Wyvern 1 Loses 20 Mana (Now Dead)
Wyvern 2 Mana Check: 1 (Success), 8 (No Crit)
Wyvern 2 Loses 10 Mana (Now 50)
Wyvern 2 Mana Check: 4 (Success), 4 (No Crit)
Wyvern 2 Loses 10 Mana (Now 40)
Wyvern 2 Mana Check: 5 (Success), Remainder 1
Wyvern 2 Loses 10 Mana (Now 30)
Wyvern 2 Mana Check: 8 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Loses 20 Mana (Now 10)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 2 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 8 vs 1 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 3
Damage Check: 4 (Success), 3 (No Crit) Remainder 2 vs 2 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 3
Irine Loses 12 Mana (Now 68)

Irine generated another fire orb, but, due to annoyance at having failed to kill the wyvern, a desire to convince them to leave her alone, or some other reason, when Irine flicked her tail, two fire orbs formed instead of one. She launched one at the first wyvern, finally managing to kill it, but despite launching the other four at the othe wyvern, it survived, though heavily burnt.

The remaining wyvern either ignored Irine’s statement or didn’t understand it, and dove at her, talons outstretched. While Irine wasn’t able to get out of the way in time, the talons mostly hit her tails, leaving the rest of her relatively unscathed.

(Ok, In the future I’ll just make sure not to give Irine infinite prep time.)

Nuada
Nuada gained 10 Mana (Now 50)
Agility Check: 1 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 10 vs 7 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 5
Damage Check: 10 (Success), 2 (No Crit) Remainder 2 vs 9 (Failure)
Wyvern 1 Loses 120 Mana (Now Dead)
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 4 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 8 vs 4 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) Remainder 4

The wyvern that Nuada had stabbed the first time hadn’t been able to get as far away as the other one, so Nuada decided to stab it again, this time succeeding at killing it.

The second wyvern attempted to slash at Nuada, but it missed, instead only managing to slash the ground.

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 5 (Success), 5 (No Crit) Remainder 5
Luck Check: 4 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) (+2 to roll under number for Damage Check. -2 to Wyvern roll under number for resisting damage.)
Agility Check (+5 for point blank): 3 (Success), 9 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 3 vs 9 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 2
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) Remainder 3 vs 8 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Loses 90 Mana (Now Dead)

Doc, riding on the back of the wyvern, pulled out some forceps from his belt. He got to work, trying to pull out some of the wyvern’s scaled in order to get a clear shot at it’s vitals. It wasn’t easy work, as the wyvern bucked and rolled, trying to force off it’s unwanted rider, but this wasn’t doc’s first rodeo. It took some work, but he was able to pull out enough scales to place the muzzle of his gun onto an unprotected patch.

Putting away the forceps, Doc drew his gun. The wyvern, in pain from the impromptu surgery, still angry at being rode, and potentially sensing what was about to happen, started bucking harder, shaking around and performing complex flying maneuvers in an attempt to force Doc off it. It was almost successful, but before it could knock Holliday off it’s back, a gunshot rang out, blasting through the wyvern’s flesh and killing it.

Right, as we seem to be getting close to ending round 2, I'm starting work on round 3. I'm also planning to finish up active abilities by the time we finish round 2 so that everyone can edit one one their sheet for round three. Looking back, I realized there were some things I had forgotten since coming back, such as rolling to cast a spell, but I don't think they would have changed too much of what happened in the previous turns, and I'll do my best to remember to note them for future rounds. Also, I'm planning to take the advice someone mentioned and double all servants mana, starting nect round.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Is the actually game like...going to start at some point?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Is the actually game like...going to start at some point?

Yes, and I’ve been working on that the whole time too, but every round I find new things that need to be worked out with this system, so it’s important to test this thoroughly before I start the actual game so as to prevent having to patch things every other turn to keep it fun and functioning.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current form: full-fox
Current Mana: 68/100

<Goodbye.>
all five of my orbs of flame converge on the final wyvern, the condensed orb progressively shifting from red, to blue, to white as they merge and intensify, and the doomed wyvern within is reduced to ash.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:34:55 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

when it comes around to attack me again, I impale it
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John Henry
"No good varmints!"
Bring the hammer down again on the Wyvern's next attack.

(I've realized John Henry's greatest potential advantage in this fight: a lone Wyvern can't outpace his healing unless he utterly flubs his roll to resist the damage. Not that he should need it, provided rolls don't fuck me)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine
Wyvern 2 Mana Check: 10 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Loses 20 Mana (Now Dead)

All five of Irine’s orbs of flame converge on the final wyvern, the condensed orb progressively shifting from red, to blue, to white as they merge and intensify, and the doomed wyvern within is reduced to ash. Fortunately, the wyvern was probably dead not long after the flame orbs hit, sparing it from being scorched to ash.

Nuada
Nuada gained 10 Mana (Now 60)
Agility Check: 4 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 7 vs 8 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 3
Damage Check: 1 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 8 vs 6 (Failure)
Wyvern 2 Loses 180 Mana (Now Dead)

As the remaining wyvern once more tried to swoop down at Nuada, he used its own motion to impale it, killing it in one strike.

John Henry
Strength Check: 4 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 8 vs 2 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 9
Wyvern 2 Agility Check: 3 (Success), 7 (Crit Success) (1.5X) Remainder 2 vs 7 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 1
Damage Check: 6 (Failure)

“No good varmints!” John Henry shouted as the remaining wyvern came by for another swipe. He swung his hammer down at the creature, but he missed, slamming into the mountain face, and knocking himself back with some of the momentum.

Fortunately for John, the wyvern’s attack is only moderately more successful. While the wyvern manages to connect it’s claws against John’s body, the momentum of his failed hammer strike knocked him over just enough that the claw manages to only barely scrape against his metal chest.

Right, as we only have probably one or two turns left before the end of round 2, I, with the help of Failbird, have figured out at least the prototype version of active skills. Everyone gets one active skill, and they are somewhat similar to spells, being as they are similar to small NPs. Active Skills can have up to 3 abilities/damage boosts, essentially being akin to an NP that caps at C rank, but instead of costing mana to cast, the more abilities they have, the longer cooldown they have. At 1 ability, they have a 2 turn cooldown, 4 at 2, and 6 at 3. Any Active skill that lasts multiple turns can not last longer than it's cooldown. Also, for balance sake, I think AOE attack abilities should do half the damage as a single target of that rank, trading more damage for hurting more enemies. Just like with NPs and skills, please post your active skill so I can check it and talk through it with you. Active skills will be used in round 3 so before we start it, I'd like if everyone, once your active skill is approved, would post an updated character sheet with the updated mana, that being twice as much as it was before, their active skill on it, and any other changed that have been made since the sheets were posted to comply with new game rules.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Irine - Previous (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Irine-new (click to show/hide)

Still pending change: Divinity rework. I remember you wanting to make it do something other than flat damage, but don't recall the exact effect so haven't updaded the sheet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 09:21:49 pm by Lenglon »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I changed divinity to a luck modifier, A rank is +5, B is +4, and so on. I also don’t think I can accept Cleanse by Fire, given AOE effect removal and territory creation is a bit much for a spell, and more of a noble phantasm. Maybe something more like a single target buff removal or territory effect negation, or an AOE debuff cleanse.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I changed divinity to a luck modifier, A rank is +5, B is +4, and so on. I also don’t think I can accept Cleanse by Fire, given AOE effect removal and territory creation is a bit much for a spell, and more of a noble phantasm. Maybe something more like a single target buff removal or territory effect negation, or an AOE debuff cleanse.
Divinity updated to the new version, Raised cleanse from D to C, with mana cost to match, and removed territory creation from it. My thought had been that by combining the effects into a single effect, it greatly decreased the utility of each individual effect.

as example case, lets say there's a group engagement, and Doc Holiday got poisoned, and Nuada has applied his self-buffs. If Irine wants to remove the poison from Doc, she has to remove the self-buffs from Nuada at the same time.

Having said that, I'm aware that my changes have not fully addressed your concern, and am open to weakening the spell further. The next step I would go in weakening would be to take out the buff removal effect.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I suppose part of the question is what applies as a buff. Is it only something actively applied, such as Nuada’s NP, while passive abilities remain? If Shakespeare created an item with his enchant skill, would this effect destroy it, negate its effect, or do nothing to it? Part of my concern is that I may be giving bonuses to enemies to make them more effective against your large numbers and an AOE buff removal, depending on what it removes, might mean having to choose between making some buffs unremovable, which wouldn’t feel fair, essentially making buff removal useless in a situation you’d most want it, or removing the challenge of some fights.

I like the idea that it’s a trade off where you may negate all ally effects to negate ones on the enemy as well, or remove buffs to remove debuffs, but I’m just trying to figure out how it would work in balance with ideas I’d already had for the true game.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say that it has reduced effectiveness depending on how *physical* an effect is. So things like magically created items would get bonuses on their rolls to resist being dispelled, and things like curses get minuses on rolls to resist being dispelled.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, I've been assuming that the cleanse can be resisted.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41