Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 35894 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Considering that you're seeing those kinds of damage numbers from so many, it really seems like it's a system problem instead of a character problem. maybe put +damage effects AFTER crit multiplication?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Considering that you're seeing those kinds of damage numbers from so many, it really seems like it's a system problem instead of a character problem. maybe put +damage effects AFTER crit multiplication?
That’s the thing, I do. At B rank, Nuada deals 40 damage on a successful hit. At a crit, this is 80. If the opponent fails their endurance roll, this stays 80. Otherwise, it would fall to 40 with one success, and 20 with 2. Even 1 passed endurance roll automatically halves the damage taken. When his NP is activated, he has a total +80 to damage. This, against the enemies who had D rank endurance, he often dealt 80, and then +80 for 160.

John has B rank strength as well, but has the berserker buff to it, so they often critted. With their +20 damage, they dealt 100, but even still, if a Warrior rolled an endurance crit, and John did not crit, which actually did happen in some rolling, with a 2 and a 1, John would have dealt 30 damage and failed to one shot them.

Part of the issue with Nuada and Doc is how their + can more than double their damage output, which I think was probably a bad idea in my design, so I’m going to halve them, and possibly require a malus of some sort. Doc‘a was admittedly my fault, as I thought it being roll dependent meant it being +40 was fine, but given how much a buff that would be, I should have placed it at +20.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:20:29 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd say that, if Doc's bonus is decreased, the downside should be as well, as right now it literally drops his damage to 0 with a failure. Maybe halve his damage instead. And also to be fair to him, he is very much a Glass Cannon build. If he actually got hit there would have been effectively no reducing the damage.

I think that, with the ability to use Strength to attack instead of only Agility for the slow but powerful Servants, the change to make failed hits still do damage is unnecessary. After all, less hits will be getting failed in the first place now.

Also, I gave a negative opinion on the poll, but only in reference to this current system, I have no doubts my thoughts will improve with the changes already mentioned... so I actually probably should have given the neutral opinion I suppose.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Ok, I suppose I can leave the decisions of what to do with Doc's power up to Stirk, but I feel Nuada's bonus definitely needs to be decreased, as adding a flat 80 to the damage is a bit too much. BlackPaladin, do you want to talk to me about figuring out how to decrease it, or do you want me to suggest something and you can then give your opinion on it? One of my thoughts is to let you keep the +20 from Silver Handed Combat, but have it apply an accuracy malus for the same reason it does a damage bonus, his hand is very heavy, given John Henry also has +20, but at a cost.

Also, I'm remodding Divinity. Not totally sure how yet, but it needs to be remodded, since it gives certain servants a significant advantage over others.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:23:07 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Divinity is weird tbh. I don't get why it gives a damage bonus. if anything I'd expect it to give defense / defense penetration, not actual damage.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I based it off the bonuses given by Divinity in Fate/Grand Order, where it gives a damage boost. I'm probably going to either significantly reduce it's effect or make it do something else. Current thought is maybe it adds to luck.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:42:02 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Ok, I suppose I can leave the decisions of what to do with Doc's power up to Stirk, but I feel Nuada's bonus definitely needs to be decreased, as adding a flat 80 to the damage is a bit too much. BlackPaladin, do you want to talk to me about figuring out how to decrease it, or do you want me to suggest something and you can then give your opinion on it? One of my thoughts is to let you keep the +20 from Silver Handed Combat, but have it apply an accuracy malus for the same reason it does a damage bonus, his hand is very heavy, given John Henry also has +20, but at a cost.

Do whatever you want with it I just left the value up to you in the first place :P

I'd say that, if Doc's bonus is decreased, the downside should be as well, as right now it literally drops his damage to 0 with a failure. Maybe halve his damage instead. And also to be fair to him, he is very much a Glass Cannon build. If he actually got hit there would have been effectively no reducing the damage.

I think that, with the ability to use Strength to attack instead of only Agility for the slow but powerful Servants, the change to make failed hits still do damage is unnecessary. After all, less hits will be getting failed in the first place now.

Also, I gave a negative opinion on the poll, but only in reference to this current system, I have no doubts my thoughts will improve with the changes already mentioned... so I actually probably should have given the neutral opinion I suppose.

Someone would have to hit him first. With max agility and A-OK he's more of a dodge tank.

He's also still meant to be support, Gambler's Luck is supposed to boost someone else (or the whole team if he's lucky). If the whole team got +40 we'd probably be able to kill anything in one turn.

Divinity is weird tbh. I don't get why it gives a damage bonus. if anything I'd expect it to give defense / defense penetration, not actual damage.

That is what it does in FGO, so that is probably it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

I think if I personally have to decrease it, I just want to do less damage. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I think if I personally have to decrease it, I just want to do less damage.
I'm planning to modify divinity to be a luck boost, and I'll let you edit or replace your Silver Hand skill, and then I think you should be able to keep the +40 on your NP.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noted.  May I also point out that the only thing my character is built for is damage?  No team buffs, no AoE, just damage.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Noted.  May I also point out that the only thing my character is built for is damage?  No team buffs, no AoE, just damage.

Yes, but when it comes to fights with a single powerful enemy, such as a few boss fights I have planned, having the ability to deal shit tons of damage with each attack can swiftly get into overpowered territory. If you're consistently dealing 160, or even just 100 damage with each normal attack, which is how much you do with your current buffs even if the enemy gets a crit for endurance, you'll likely be getting through most things without much issue, which is bad from a balance standpoint, so either I need to decrease your damage output, or make the enemies stronger. Essentially, you'd be able to kill a servant with A rank Mana and Endurance even if they rolled snake eyes for their damage resistance, especially as your NP and accuracy bonus from your skill means almost all your hits land, you're almost guaranteed to get a crit for damage, and it's not even balanced out by being a glass cannon as you're also very hard to hit. I'm also providing you the opportunity to change your loadout if you want to do something else instead.

Part of the goal with testing was to find if any specific build is particularly broken, and right now, it seems that your build is. I also mentioned before that if it turned out +damage effects were OP, there would be changes.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:00:52 am by Smoke Mirrors »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

When edits are done and questions are answered, let me know so I know to start 1.2. I am aware that is not right now, but I'm really busy getting ready for Spring Break so I don't have time to finish up some of the things I need to. I will do those tonight or, more likely, on the bus trip I need to take tomorrow.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, wont the changing of the divinity effects bring mu damage output bonus to 60?

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Also, wont the changing of the divinity effects bring mu damage output bonus to 60?

That’s still a lot, as it means you do more damage on your lowest damaging roll than a player with C rank Strength does on their best. Further, it’s not fair for you to get +20 to damage for no cost when John Henry has +20 but loses 10 mana every attack.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:09:24 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Come to think of it, that's another good point. nobody but Irine had AOE. is there something with the system that makes getting AOE hard?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41