Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 33784 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2022, 09:27:18 pm »

Lacking a flavorful description for the Noble Phantasm, but otherwise this sheet is complete.
Spoiler: Rider (click to show/hide)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Right, a quick message before I go to bed which isn’t really important for this test, but is for people interested in joining Lost Record afterwards. The Fate series is full of creepy, disturbing things that people may have ah issue with, from the more fantastical, like eldritch gods, giant monsters, zombies, etc. to the more realistic, such as child exploration/violence against children, torture, mass killings, cults, diseases, terrorism, and complicated questions, such as the nature of morality, whether you should work to save others at the cost of yourself, whether it’s more important to save the people you love, or the world at large, etc.

Fate/Lost Record will not be shying away from these concepts, and given my tendency to play towards horror to an extent in my action/adventure games, might even see more of it than many Fate properties do. I will be providing a consent sheet to players, to see if there any any specific topics to avoid or downplay because they may bring back traumatic memories or trigger anxiety or PTSD episodes, but in general, I won’t be shying away from things that players may find frightening or uncomfortable, not because I want players to feel those ways, but because I feel those emotions are important to the full experience of the story.

This is not to say I intend the story to go full Fate/Zero or From Software level dark, as to clarify, my stories strongly tend towards the idealistic side of idealism vs cynicism. I feel a story should run the gambit of human emotion, dread, heartbreak, and fear, but also hope, joy, laughter, and moments that make you want to throw your hands in the air and scream “Fuck Yes!”. Without either side of the emotional spectrum, the other runs the risk of becoming somehow both muted and all consuming, with players/readers becoming numb to the emotion the author intends to inflict. That is why I feel darkness and fear are important story tools, but in the end, the genre is still action/adventure, rather than horror.

I am not saying “if you don’t think you can handle this, leave”. For one, even if you don’t think you can handle this, this mechanics test should be largely free of these types of things, as it’s a mechanics test, not a proper story. And further, even if you don’t think you can handle these kinds of things, but you are interested in Fate/Lost Record, I still implore you to check it out, and not allow your fears from keeping you from an experience you may enjoy. This message was purely meant as something for people who are interested to consider.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:26:26 am by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

As long as you're okay with my character reacting appropriately for the experiences they have, and understand that my character screaming at the world and their situation is not the same as the player screaming at the GM. Then it's all fine.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I fully expect a good amount of screaming, cursing, and attempted/successful murder on the parts of the characters in response these things. Otherwise I may be concerned.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Everyone's characters are kinda DPS-beatsticky. Do you want to try out a healer/buffer/debuffer for the test too?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

I, personally, think it should be as-is, b/c i think it will be funny to see all the players die horribly because the boss they just found out they couldnt beat in three turns is now going to town on them faster than their mana can regen. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Everyone's characters are kinda DPS-beatsticky. Do you want to try out a healer/buffer/debuffer for the test too?

Yes. While they may not do too well in the solo fights, I believe a buffer will be useful for the game proper, and thus probably the team fights. I'm also generally opposed to seeing all the players die horribly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:06:52 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes. While they may not do too well in the solo fights, I believe a buffer will be useful for the game proper, and thus probably the team fights. I'm also generally opposed to seeing all the players die horribly.
>.> Faye isn't a beatstick.
And Irine I had thought would qualify as a controller-type rather than a beatstick, but okay.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I can see Irine being viewed as DPS, and it's true we lack any healer/buffer/debuffer types right now.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

I can see Irine being viewed as DPS, and it's true we lack any healer/buffer/debuffer types right now.

I'll take up the torch then. This was really just an excuse for:

Spoiler: Archer (click to show/hide)

OK it was actually hard to design a non-Caster support Servant with this setup >_>. Need to work on the numbers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:01:00 pm by Stirk »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK it was actually hard to design a non-Caster support Servant with this setup >_>. Need to work on the numbers.
ikr? I think the "Item Creation" class skill probably does have a ton of utility baked in, but it's not very clear what it actually does. I think everyone will have an easier time understanding the system and designing characters once the first test has gone through.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

I'll take up the torch then. This was really just an excuse for:

Spoiler: Archer (click to show/hide)

Interesting. I actually saw a version of Doc Holliday who was a Kariya Psuedo servant, but I suppose Okita works for largely the same reason. Anyway, I do see some things that need edits. Gambler's luck needs to express how much of a damage boost it grants. Marksmanship can be +5 or 6, given it's an A rank and has a limit. A-OK would cost 30, given it's rank, and I think -5 to all rolls for 3 actions is a bit much, especially along side the heal. I think -3 to a specific parameter for 3 actions along with the heal would be better.

ikr? I think the "Item Creation" class skill probably does have a ton of utility baked in, but it's not very clear what it actually does. I think everyone will have an easier time understanding the system and designing characters once the first test has gone through.

I am admittedly wondering if I should give everyone 1 active skill, but as the rule says, no changed until after testing.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Interesting. I actually saw a version of Doc Holliday who was a Kariya Psuedo servant, but I suppose Okita works for largely the same reason. Anyway, I do see some things that need edits. Gambler's luck needs to express how much of a damage boost it grants. Marksmanship can be +5 or 6, given it's an A rank and has a limit. A-OK would cost 30, given it's rank, and I think -5 to all rolls for 3 actions is a bit much, especially along side the heal. I think -3 to a specific parameter for 3 actions along with the heal would be better.

It was a joke based on how FGO Wyat Earp was Altera with a fake mustache. So logically the tuberculosised lawwoman Okita would be Holliday.

At +4 and A Agility I'm already not going to miss ever :V. Ok, I'll make it higher.

I left the damage boost blank since I have no frame of reference for how much it should be. How much should it be?

-3 to a parameter is -6 to rolls, if I pick Agility and that applies to all attack rolls it would be stronger with your suggestion than without. Assuming it doesn't bottom out. But then they'd already only be hitting on a 1 anyway.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

A. Ok.

B. Like I said, figuring that out, we'll see when it comes to testing.

C. I think +20?

D. -3 to their roll under number, not the parameter itself. My brain jumps to agility or strength and the specific parameter, as they seem like good things for a support to decrease.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:00:22 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the one hand I do have an idea for a support character, on the other I really, really like my current in-dev character and am not sure I'd want to switch him out. And he's uh... kinda the opposite of support. The supportee if you will.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41