Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 33777 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2022, 10:09:22 am »

Trying to decide between doing something with the Sarah Winchester concept from School Life, or the Night Witches

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2022, 01:02:45 pm »

couple edits made to charsheet.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2022, 06:34:18 pm »

Hmm... I'm in an awkward spot where I can't really justify either of my current Servant ideas having particularly high ranks of most of their skills and stats for lore/flavor reasons, and Noble Phantasms don't require points, so they'd have an excess of unspent points.

Actually now that I think about it, their kits are both kind of built around their Noble Phantasms, with skills largely oriented around making them even stronger when using said NPs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:50:08 pm by Failbird105 »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2022, 07:03:34 pm »

Well, feel free to PM what you’re thinking to me and we can discuss how you want to do them.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2022, 08:16:29 pm »

So here's a question best answered publicly: can a non-Caster Servant gain spells by giving themselves ranks in Item Construction or a Personal Skill with similar effects?

Edit: Another important question but... what size dice will we be rolling?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:02:18 pm by Failbird105 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2022, 09:18:23 pm »

based on this post:
It’s D10 rather than D20, so an A rank has a 9/10 chance to get one success, B has 7/10, etc. Also, the crit system where, for instance, if you’re at A rank and you roll a 2, you can roll again and if it’s less than an 8 it’s a crit. Yes, agility vs enemy agility, contested, then you do a strength check, then your opponent does an endurance check. If both fail to achieve any successes, I think count it as a failure for the person who initiated the action.
I think the system is D10 based.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2022, 09:22:50 pm »

Jeeze... considering how easily you can get massive positive modifiers that feels almost excessively small. Granted of course, Servants are pretty insane in capability, but still, I feel like you'd have to have negative modifiers slung around like crazy to achieve a level of balance.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2022, 09:23:12 pm »

So here's a question best answered publicly: can a non-Caster Servant gain spells by giving themselves ranks in Item Construction or a Personal Skill with similar effects?

Edit: Another important question but... what size dice will we be rolling?

Not generally no, since spells are kind of intended to be the main effect of casters, though I may make exceptions if I see a reason to, and, with most things, it’s in a slight state of flux due to the testing.

Jeeze... considering how easily you can get massive positive modifiers that feels almost excessively small. Granted of course, Servants are pretty insane in capability, but still, I feel like you'd have to have negative modifiers slung around like crazy to achieve a level of balance.

Successes are kind of meant to be not terribly hard to get, with crits being the hard part, and I think it should be more balanced in servant v servant combat, but as stated, things are kind of in flux. However, I chose D10 as I was wanted a A Rank strength to succeed more often than not, I based the numbers on the parameter tables from Type Moon, and a D20 would mean A Rank only succeeded less than half the time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:32:03 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2022, 11:44:20 pm »

Can you guys hold me to a new rule: I will not make any substantial changes to Fate/MT's mechanics until everyone has fought at least once, and I will not add anything substantial, such as new classes, master sheet format, etc. until we've done a round of group combat.

I keep having ideas for cool things, but in my temporary lucidity, I realized if I keep adding things before I even finish testing what I have, this will all be more complicated.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2022, 12:38:30 am »

Fair enough. So may I suggest you do a quick baseline test?

pick a four sheets, either from your test premades, or from player submissions, and put them into four different 1v1 fights vs generic enemies in a simple arena and assign people active in the thread to the player sheets. I suggest going with a large forest clearing for your arena so that there can be a bit of setting without terrain getting in the way of things.

opponent 1 should be an easy enemy, someone you think the players will beat easilly.
opponent 2 should be a modest enemy, what you think would be about right for a generic fight vs a random enemy, meaning the player side should win but it shouldn't be a stomp.
opponent 3 should be a hard enemy, something like a basic bossfight for a solo player or a pvp fight, a setting you'd expect it to be a coinflip for who would win.
opponent 4 should be a impossible enemy, something like a bossfight for a group of players, something you expect the player to lose to when solo.

see how it goes?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 12:42:12 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2022, 12:46:25 am »

Ok, I'll do a basic test, but it will likely be later next week as my classes are all pushing out the last assignments before spring break starts, and also to give a few people I know who have WIP sheets time to complete them, and me time to stat out the enemies.

EDIT: Black Paladin, I just remembered, thanks to binge-watching OSP that Nuada's arm is technically a Noble Phantasm, technically as the Noble Phantasm version is actually Excalibur using Airgetlám's name to back up its existence, which boosts Agility, Endurance, and Strength, so you can draw from that if you want to. Given your NP already adds to Agility and Strength, you may not need to look at it for any other info, but in case you want to here is a link to Excalibur pretending to be Airgetlám.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 01:07:38 am by Smoke Mirrors »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2022, 01:03:57 am »

So I'd imagine probably a Dragon Tooth Warrior for the first, then a Wyvern for the Second, Third would probably be just an enemy Servant but maybe something like a dragon could work to, and Fourth would likely be somewhere along the lines of a Demon Pillar

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2022, 01:09:56 am »

So I'd imagine probably a Dragon Tooth Warrior for the first, then a Wyvern for the Second, Third would probably be just an enemy Servant but maybe something like a dragon could work to, and Fourth would likely be somewhere along the lines of a Demon Pillar
I was thinking something similar, which means I probably already have 1, unless I want to figure out some further mechanics for enemy type Dragon Tooth Warriors. Expect the servant enemy to probably be something like a shadow servant, since I may want to test out a servant I may use as an NPC later without spoiling their name, or I may just grab one of the examples.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2022, 01:31:42 am »

Also speaking of WIP sheets I elaborated more on mine. I'm going to bed now, but I'd appreciate having some input to act on and respond to when I wake up.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2022, 11:46:39 am »

Right, I realized that the lack of definition of “direct combat” in regards to the decrease presence concealment gives may make assassins seem less viable than I intended. To clarify, direct combat refers to such things as face to face combat such as duels, being forced into a corner, basically any type of combat where your opponent generally knows where you are at all times. Such things as hit and run, strafing, sniping, ambushes, surprise attacks, blitz attacks, basically anything tricky, where your enemy doesn’t expect you, doesn’t know where you are, or doesn’t know you’re an enemy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 12:38:32 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41