Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 35868 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((So my first observation: having anything less than B rank Agility is helplessly Punishing because you practically don't even get to attack at all if you don't crit your Agility rolls, regardlessof what kind of attack you use))
Smash. The. Greatsword. Skeleton.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

((So my first observation: having anything less than B rank Agility is helplessly Punishing because you practically don't even get to attack at all if you don't crit your Agility rolls, regardlessof what kind of attack you use))
Smash. The. Greatsword. Skeleton.
I'm going to be honest, you've just been rather unlucky. Your roll under number for Agility against these guys has been 9, 6 from your parameter, +4 from Madness Enhancement, and then -1 from Single Mindness. The enemies have a straight 6 for agility. The first time you rolled a 10, and the second time the enemy rolled a 2 and a 1, which is close to as good as possible. Most of the time, you'd be winning, as the enemies should be failing their attempts to dodge you over half the time.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

((I think Agi is also both attack and defense, which makes Agi a Super-Stat. I can see it needing to be broken into two separate stats so that Agi-stacking doesn't become what everyone ever has to do: Hit and Evasion, and then toss people something like 3 extra points at character creation to put into the now-split stat.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Problem is that means breaking the canonical stats. I just think melee attacks should be able to use Agi or Strength instead of just agi. Agi should only be absolutely necessary from a ranged build or an Assassin))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Nuada
Gain 10 Mana (Now 70)
Agility Check: 10 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) Remainder 1 vs 1 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 3
Saber Check: 4 (Success), 9 (No Crit) Remainder 2 vs 1 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 12

As even more mana is regenerated inside him, Nuada, sure of his victory, swings his sword again, this time trying to wipe out the last remaining skeleton. Once more, his sword whips through the air, leaving arcs of silvery light behind it. But overconfidence breeds failure, and desperation can push people past their limits, even if those people are magically animated skeletons brought to life by planting dragon teeth in the ground.

The warrior desperately throws itself backwards, out of the way of Nuada’s sword, falling to the ground, but still alive. It tried to strike back, but it’s shaky strike is easily dodged by the Tuathe de.

Doc Holliday
Luck Check: 6 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) +40 Damage
Agility Check: 5 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) Remainder 6 vs 2 (Success), 4 (No Crit) Remainder 4
Damage Check: 3 (Success), 6 (No Crit) Remainder 3 vs 7 (Failure)
Archer Takes 70 damage
Archer is dead

Archer looks at his gun with an expression of “Are you fucking with me?”, then proceeds to express a similar sentiment out loud, before shifting the gun around in his hands, grabbing onto the still warm barrel and winding up for a hit. He slams the butt of the gun into the skeleton’s head over and over and over again, not stopping even as the skeleton breaks. Not ceasing his blows until the warrior has fully dissolved back into mana.

John Henry
Agility Check: 4 (Success), 6 (No Crit) Remainder 5 vs 4 (Success), 10 (No Crit) Remainder 2
Damage Check: 8 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) Remainder 2 vs 10 (Failure)
Saber takes 100 damage
Saber is dead
John takes 10 damage (Now 50)
Assassin Check: 5 (Success) Remainder 1 vs 5 (Success), 5 (No Crit) Remainder 4

Fresh off two failed hits, John Henry’s berserker side is starting to show. The exertion has burnt off some of the skin over his mechanical body parts, and his eyes seem to be taking on a glow like hot coals. His whistles blare at full volume, and wisps of steam float out of his mouth as he hoists his hammer up over his head again. This time, his efforts are rewarded, as he brings the hammer down right on the head of the skeleton who had wounded him, and reduces it to powder in one blow.

The assassin tried to take revenge for it’s fallen comrade, but John dodged both of its swords, finally connecting with something solid putting his feet back under him, as he readied to finish the job.

Right so, taking criticism into consideration, starting in 1.2 there will be some modifications to the combat system. If your Strength is higher than your Agility, you can use it for your accuracy in melee attacks, however Agility will still be used for ranged attacks. In return, if you roll a crit success for Agility when rolling to hit, you will deal 1.5 times more damage.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The whistles scream out loudly as steam pumps from Henry's body. He wouldn't burn himself up for this, not here. Take the turn to cool down
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:02:49 am by Failbird105 »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

Murder soldier.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Nuada
Gain 10 Mana (Now 80)
Agility Check: 3 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 11 vs 10 (Failure)
Damage Check: 5 (Success), 5 (Crit Success) Remainder 2 vs 6 (Failure)
Saber takes 160 damage
Saber is dead

Nuada striked at the prone warrior, a single heavy swing of his sword downwards, light following the edge of the sword as he brought it right down on the top of the skeleton’s head, slicing cleanly through it’s spine, pelvis, and legs. For a moment, the swordsman’s body lay still, but as Nuada watched, it’s body seemed to become less solid, almost translucent, before the two sides collapsed like water into a puddle on the floor.

John Henry
Pass Turn
Gain 40 Mana (Now 90)
Assassin Check: 2 (Success), 3 (Crit Success) Remainder 1 vs 2 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 7
Assassin Damage Check: 2 (Success), 7 (No Crit) Remainder 4 vs 1 (Success), 6 (Crit Success) Remainder 6
John Henry takes 8 damage (Now 82)

Realizing he was getting dangerously close to overheating, John paused. His whistles blared out as steam blasted out of his engine and mouth. His eyes dimmed back to their normal color, the metal on his body cooled down, and the mana going to power his motion was redirected to healing him up. The cut the swordsman had left on his stomach knit itself up, and his body stabilized.

The last remaining warrior took its chance, attacking John as he stood still. A short sword cut at John, leaving a minor scratch in his arm that swiftly cleaned itself up. John turned to the last remaining warrior…

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"One more!" Henry shouted, his hammer whipping through the air to destroy the skeleton.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

John Henry
Agility Check: 4 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) Remainder 3 vs 10 (Failure)
Damage Check: 6 (Success), 6 (No Crit) Remainder 5 vs 9 (Failure)
Assassin takes 60 damage
Assassin is dead
John Henry takes 10 damage (Now 72)

He brought his hammer down on the warrior’s head, reducing it to a pile of bones… well, an inanimate one.

With test 1.1 done, I want to hear what everyone’s opinions are of the combat system. Do you think there are any other edits I need to make to it, like the matter with Strength and Agility? Do you think the Dragon Tooth Warriors need to be edited, if so, how so? Do you think any specific ability is overpowered or underpowered? Any other information or suggestions you want to share? I’m also setting up a new poll for simple opinions, but feel free to specify in a post.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that the Archer DTW was much more dangerous than the other two because it seemed to have the same accuracy, defenses, and damage capabilitity without needing to get into range like the others did.
I think the way to-hit and damage numbers are calculated wasn't very clear, but that a lot of things hit really hard in general.
I think that the non-Irine servents seemed to be able to do enough damage to kill other servants in 1-2 blows, leaving me concerned for how Irine will fare against other servants since it seems like 1v1 fights will be very short. I think most of them can kill her before she properly gets rolling.
I think spells and Noble Phantasms cost so much mana that they'll be risky to use, since it's guaranteed self-damage for activation. Again, I'm concerned for Irine in this (and I think any other Caster types will have the same problem) because with how much damage people are putting out, I think if she tried to use her Noble Phantasm vs Nuada for example, he'd take advantage of her spending 50 mana to land a single hit on her while her NP is at E strength, and kill her on the spot that same turn.
I think that one thing we aren't keeping good track of with this combat system is movement and positioning. I don't know if that's actually a bad thing, but I think it should be pointed out.
I think that the DTW as a whole were able to cause some harm but weren't threatening to Servants, and could serve some purpose as backup fodder to other threats. Not sure how strong you think they should be so I can't say offhand if they're strong or weak. But they aren't totally ignorable, despite being trivial to deal with individually.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

I think that the Archer DTW was much more dangerous than the other two because it seemed to have the same accuracy, defenses, and damage capabilitity without needing to get into range like the others did.
I think the way to-hit and damage numbers are calculated wasn't very clear, but that a lot of things hit really hard in general.
I think that the non-Irine servents seemed to be able to do enough damage to kill other servants in 1-2 blows, leaving me concerned for how Irine will fare against other servants since it seems like 1v1 fights will be very short. I think most of them can kill her before she properly gets rolling.
I think spells and Noble Phantasms cost so much mana that they'll be risky to use, since it's guaranteed self-damage for activation. Again, I'm concerned for Irine in this (and I think any other Caster types will have the same problem) because with how much damage people are putting out, I think if she tried to use her Noble Phantasm vs Nuada for example, he'd take advantage of her spending 50 mana to land a single hit on her while her NP is at E strength, and kill her on the spot that same turn.
I think that one thing we aren't keeping good track of with this combat system is movement and positioning. I don't know if that's actually a bad thing, but I think it should be pointed out.
I think that the DTW as a whole were able to cause some harm but weren't threatening to Servants, and could serve some purpose as backup fodder to other threats. Not sure how strong you think they should be so I can't say offhand if they're strong or weak. But they aren't totally ignorable, despite being trivial to deal with individually.

i agree with those general points.  moreover, i would like to add the fact that i, personally would rather fight 1-2 stronger enemies than 3+ weaker enemies.  i think it gives a greater sense of challenge.  Out of Curiousity, how are you calculating damage?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

1. As stated, ranged attacks still are kind of in a limbo of how I want to do them. Right now, most of the characters didn't have much of a range issue, the only issue with Nuada's charge was getting past the other 2. I may still end up editing how they work.
2. See the damage table for how much things are supposed to do.
I'll answer the other parts later as I just realized I need to go somewhere.

I agree with those general points.  moreover, i would like to add the fact that i, personally would rather fight 1-2 stronger enemies than 3+ weaker enemies.  i think it gives a greater sense of challenge.  Out of Curiousity, how are you calculating damage?

Current damage plan for main attacks is that a normal attack does damage depending on your strength parameter if you get a success, which is doubled for a critical success. If your opponent rolls a success for endurance, it’s halved, and a critical success means it’s quartered. Before damage calculations, you roll agility for accuracy vs agility for evasion, and if you evade, then no damage.
A: 50
B: 40
C: 30
D: 20
E: 10

And now rolling a crit for Agility accuracy also gives 1.5X damage. Also thinking a failed damage roll would halve damage rather than just mean 0 damage. As for the enemy fighting, these are variety tests. The Dragon Tooth Warriors were a group of three as they are Rank 1 enemies, which are supposed to be weak enough for 1 player to deal with multiple at once. The Rank 2 enemy test will only be 2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:54:20 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hmmm, the BASE numbers seem fine, it's the crits that can get out of control. then again, those DTW had E defense didn't they?

Could you really quick just go through what Nuada attacking Irine would look like? I don't mean actually rolling dice, just like, what the dice would need to be for different results, especially damage amounts at the end.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:54:09 pm by Lenglon »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

hmmm, the BASE numbers seem fine, it's the crits that can get out of control. then again, those DTW had E defense didn't they?

Could you really quick just go through what Nuada attacking Irine would look like? I don't mean actually rolling dice, just like, what the dice would need to be for different results, especially damage amounts at the end.

I'll be honest, I think I need to Nerf Nuada a bit, just the + damages. I think I'll try cutting all of them in half and seeing how it goes, as he deals a lot of damage even independent of roll. Probably Doc's too. John's works as it's with a cost.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 41