Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How much time should players get to post their action each turn?

24 Hours
- 0 (0%)
48 Hours
- 2 (18.2%)
24 hours after the majority of players post
- 8 (72.7%)
1 Week
- 0 (0%)
No Limits
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Ambiguity - Where do dead games go when they die?  (Read 11539 times)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: Ambiguity - Where do dead games go when they die?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2022, 03:09:00 pm »

Webster

Webster gets distracted from his worries by the pretty colors on his Wiki-o-Matic 2000 "HONK! HONK!" PRESS ALL THE BUTTONS!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2022, 03:29:21 pm »

(Haven't played this character in a while, so I really don't remember too well how would she act)
Merisa 'cutthroat
"So I died or in the process of dying? so where am I? this place seems full of symbolism so let try to figure it out, it could be a fire, I am surrounded by fire now, but I was in the Arson department so it could be just related to that, it could still be Sugar is this skull looks like his?, probably not gonna look bored at me, what all this color means?
Although afraid of not knowing where she is and how she died Merisa tries to Keep it cool by analyzing the situation, she also try to shut off the flames by taking away their heat with Negentrophic Conversion(Cold)
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2022, 03:54:21 pm »

Liberty G. Jefferson

Liberty walks a circle around her creation, admiring its form. Not bad for her first time with magically reversing the existence of entropy. (That's what negentropic meant, right? Been a while since the last time she checked a dictionary.) But was this metal the only kind she could make? What about something like... gold? Titanium? Iridium? Einsteinium-- wait, no, that was super radioactive. Bad idea.

Liberty sets about trying to transform her big gear into many different kinds of metals. She avoids anything radioactive or poisonous, like lead.
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambiguity - THE SCHOLAR
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2022, 03:30:50 pm »

Ailn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Use Blood Essence to create a replica of the Scholar's Eye.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2022, 11:33:13 am »

Turn 3

I have decided that I will use the spelling "Essence" and "Essense" interchangably. Both are identical and I am not going to bother trying to have a single uniform spelling. For some reason I don't always spell it the same way.

---

Suzy
As another island passes close, you jump to it. While you are between islands, for a brief moment you can see the silhouette of hundreds of islands all around you. A few of them are extremely large, though you can make out the properties of none of them.

You land safely on another rocky island. This one is about the same size, but with some differences. There is a layer of dessicated soil beneath your feet. In the center of the island is what appears to be a dead tree. On one of the trees branches there is some kind of fruit. It is a vibrant light yellow color and about half a foot in diameter and looks remarkably fresh in stark contrast to the rest of the island.

EuchreRats
EuchreRat 003 decides that the best thing to inspire them is rat droppings. I guess its sort of a skaven thing?

It turns out that Skaven excrement doesn't really produce much, if any, essence at all. Though it certainly feels like it had a factor in what you were able to draw upon.

You gain 1 essense of Dirt
You gain 1 essense of Wind
You gain 1 essense of Filth

Erik the Ninja
You spend some time in meditation. You are able to detect the presence of two beacons out there. They aren't too far away, definitely within a kilometer or so. They move around in strange patterns. One is slightly further than the other.

You gain 1 essense of Carbon
You gain 1 essense of Dark
You gain 1 essense of Puppet

Merisa 'cutthroat
You decide to keep it cool and consider the situation.

Roll 2D6+2: 2+3+2
It becomes apparant to you that the flames are not real. They were a vision brough on by gazing into the abyss and you are unburnt. Using Negentrophic Conversion(Cold) in this situation would at best leave you uncomfortable as well as drain your energy.  You reconsider this course of action.

The visions fade away on their own. You still draw breath, and it seems like you were not at any point in time actually dead.

Octavian Grey
You walk to the edge of the island. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to jump to another island as one passes near, but there are still some risks. It would be a poor idea to attempt to move while in a meditative state.

You gain 1 essense of Shoe
You gain 1 essense of Ice
You gain 1 essense of Ectoplasm

You take the time to endow your evolved magic with the power of your Essence of Gold. It seems to work... But it doesn't quite end up how you expected it to. The power of Gold twisted the spell in a curious way and you end up with the following spell:

15 - (p) "Caster becomes omnilingual when expending currency, permanently", 3 Essense

Liberty G. Jefferson
You check out the gear. You feel as though you could create additional metal essence in the same manner if you were so inclined, but each use of it will leave you feeling more drained.

Now that the gear has been created, you inherently can tell that Negentropic Manipulation cannot change what the gear is made of even if you have essence. Negentropic Manipulation has the power is to create things from essence, but what it cannot do is directly change things, even if they were initially created from essence. Instead, you could create an entirely new gear the same way.

Negentropic Conversion(Metal) is the power to turn your own energy into usable essence, specifically metal essence. This is the extent of what this ability does. You feel pretty confident that making other metals from metal essence is within the realm of possibility.

Tob the Amazing
You leap onto the island without too much trouble.

The pools seem to be filled with a viscous liquid. They smell like clay. Of particular note is their vibrant colors. There are two large pools, one of Red and one of Blue. There are also three smaller pools containing orange, purple, and green. There is also a sixth pool with only a small amount of yellow substance.

Of note is that the essense around the pools seems a bit different.

Quaster
You take a moment to consider what modifying the environment to produce essence would mean. As negentropy entails the reversal of entropy, essence comes from the destruction of things. It might be possible to obtain essense from something by destroying it utterly. Regardless, it seems unwise to attempt to destroy the thing while you are still on it.

Roll D6: 5
You put in the effort and manage to send out a more powerful psionic signal, which is potent enough to travel through the fog...

Something emerges from the fog. It appears to be some manner of arcane construct or 'monster'. It seems to be made out of essense itself. It looks like straw in the rough shape of a man. It is on fire, yet does not burn. It has long arms, and it is constantly rubbing its wrists together. In the center of its body is an apparatus that appears to be a stove or funace. Within its 'core' is a glass and what looks like an erlenmeyer flask, perfectly balanced on a small scale. It has massive feet that look like a bag or sack. As it approaches, the mist shifts and you find yourself and the entity in a more enclosed hallway with walls made out of the mists. The stone island is still below you.

It approaches you. You can tell that it does not have a mind; so negotiation is out of the question. You have no time to be meditating!

Webster
You decide to just sort of press all of the buttons on the Wiki-o-matic, making sure to press all of the buttons.

A UFO descends upon your island. You identify it as a spaceship belonging to aliens from Planet X, making it just a FO since it is no longer unidentified. A pair of aliens exit the ship and one of them shouts "Surrender or be destroyed puny earthlings!". The other sort of slaps the first and says "Hey, does this look like planet earth to you?". The first responds "Well, there's a bird here. Birds are an earth thing right?". The second retorts "Earth is a PLANET. Does this look like a planet to you?". The first sort of awkwards says. "Um... Well..."

The aliens head back into the ship and it starts the process of taking off. You hear a third alien scream "I told you we took a wrong turn at Jupiter!"

During that conversation, a suitcase drops from above containing $10,000. You probably know exactly what is to come next.

Ailn
You invoke the power of Negentropic Manipulation and attempt to create a replica of the Scholar's Eye. You find that the blood essence does not seem to want to produce a material that is good for the creation of trinkets, but you manage to create something. You end up with a sphere of coagulated blood with the symbol of an eye on it.

You cannot see it directly, but the essence was able to excel at one aspect of the creation: Within the sphere are the capillaries that would transport blood to and from an eye, if the eye were part of an actual person. The blood within the capillaries is non-coagulated and fresh enough to be usable in transfusions.

Your creation is not very durable and is likely to depreciate very quickly. Any arcane functions that it might have are outside the scope of negentropy.

Scarlet
You activate your Negentrophic Conversion ability to use Metal and Lighting essense to  attempt to create a technological device. You have a clear understanding of what you want, but the essence you are using is not directly linked to scanning capability on a conceptional level. This doesn't in and of itself prevent you from doing this, but it reveals a problem...

In order for you to create the desired machine you would need to actually understand how it works. Not only that, but you also would need to use nothing except metal in its construction; as lightning tends to be a poor choice for building most things. It turns out that a lot of components of technological devices are non-metal in nature, and something complex enough to get the information you want involves thousands of minute details to be just right. Perhaps a Tech-Scholar would be able to pull something like this off, but you ultimately get a pretty useless bit of metal scrap for your troubles.

On the bright side, you did manage to make a power cell that might be useful later, and the purity of the metal created makes it a pretty high value piece of scrap - Possibly second only to the Exile's Star itself.

Your attempt to create a medicinal plant goes better. For a moment it seems like Wood essence could only be used to create bark and lumber, but you ultimately manage to produce a meter long segment of a Sourwood tree complete with leaves and flowers. It falls short of being a viable cure for bioweapon, but it does have medicinal uses.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2022, 12:08:43 pm »

Webster

Webster realizing what's about to happen from experience holds onto the briefcase with his beak and attempts to take flight to some other island "HONK! HENK!" BAD MEN COMING TOO MANY TO PECK TO DEATH GOTTA SCATTER!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2022, 12:59:44 pm »

Octavian Grey

Octavian frowns. That’s not how it’s supposed to work.
He’d had... an impression, perhaps, that large changes could introduce mutations to the spell, at least back in the Mansion. But this was a simple shift. A single word, a change he’d made previously in the opposite direction. This... Essence clearly has a greater effect than he had thought.

Perhaps, though. Perhaps entirely new spells could be made this way?

He would have to check. But later.
There was a Beacon to navigate toward, and islands to leap to.

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Essence (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:12:04 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2022, 01:15:16 pm »

Quaster

Hah! No mind? Against a psychic?

Mentally dominate the creature and kill it while helpless. If that doesn’t work, just blast it

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2022, 01:27:52 pm »

Merisa 'cutthroat

"The place does seem safe now, or as safe it was before, probably should try my new powers properly"

Merisa meditate
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2022, 03:24:02 pm »

Scarlet

Damn it. Damnit damnitdamnit. Sadish wasn't here. If she could keep the damned whale on task for thirty seconds she'd have a solution to this. A solution almost as likely to explode as it was to cure her, sure, but it was better than nothing. You didn't come this far to die on some empty rock, you lazy bitch. Think. There's a way to do this. Just gotta find it.

Essence was. . . materials. Conceptual materials, and not very broad ones. She could use her nanites to manipulate materials when they were done (though they weren't terribly adept at it), but she had to have the right ones. . . The lightning essence created a power cell. If she could get an essence of "cure" or "healing," maybe that could be done. That metal was incredibly pure, so perhaps essence of curatives would be especially potent. With her luck, it'd just speed the virus up instead, but her options weren't exactly clear, and this one she could at least start on now.

Scarlet rummages through her pack and pockets, locating her various battlefield medicines (including her death stickers.) She attempts to obtain essences from them.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2022, 02:44:49 am »

Suzy

"Ooh"

Reach out and touch the fruit.  Try not to pluck it, just look at it closely and feel it.  Examine it magically as well, by using the transmutation abilities to see what it currently is.

Spoiler: Suzy (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2022, 04:27:09 am »

Tob The Amazing

"I wonder if there are any bigger islands?"
Sit and meditate for a bit then see if I can't make a pot out of the colourful clay smelling stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2022, 10:28:25 pm »

Erik the Ninja
You spend some time in meditation. You are able to detect the presence of two beacons out there. They aren't too far away, definitely within a kilometer or so. They move around in strange patterns. One is slightly further than the other.

You gain 1 essense of Carbon
You gain 1 essense of Dark
You gain 1 essense of Puppet
Hm...

Using ninjaturgy, Erik dramatically leaps to the first island to come near that seems to be going in the direction of the nearest beacon, continuing in that direction as opportunities arise.

In the meantime, while he's waiting for islands to move into position, he uses Negentropic Manipulation to try to turn carbon essence into charcoal.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambiguity - THE SCHOLAR
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2022, 10:30:37 pm »

Ailn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look into the eye. What do I feel?
Wait and rest.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2022, 10:05:52 am »

EuchreRat: Use essence to grow crops
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14