Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bookcases, old worlds and version upgrade  (Read 1545 times)

Alhrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bookcases, old worlds and version upgrade
« on: February 20, 2022, 08:29:33 am »

Hi all,

I came back on DF recently loading an old fort. After taking back control of the fortress (I stopped under a big necromancer siege), I wanted to continue to develop and try the library feature, but I discovered I couldn't build bookcases in any building where I should. Looking at the raw files after some search in forums, the bookcase is definitively missing from them.

I think the world has been generated at least in 2017, after the library release (I remember looking things on that feature at the time), but I would be interested if there is a way to get the precise DF version it has been generated on.

My questions are :
- Is it possible to add the bookcases in the raw files (./objects/reaction_adv_carpenter.txt, ./objects/entity_default.txt and ./objects/item_tool.txt) and play the game with the modern features ?
- What will be the downsides of playing in 0.47.05 with an old world without said features ? Will my dwarfs be upset not having a library for instance ? How can I know what I can do or not ? In this case I do have the library location available in the meeting hall but it seems to me they would be useless without bookcases ...
- Bonus question : does anybody suggested to make a save upgrader to keep playing an old fort with new versions ? Does all of you always reroll when you upgrade the game ?  ::)

Alhrath

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: Bookcases, old worlds and version upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:30 am »

- Is it possible to add the bookcases in the raw files (./objects/reaction_adv_carpenter.txt, ./objects/entity_default.txt and ./objects/item_tool.txt) and play the game with the modern features ?

Reactions and tools cannot be added to existing entities.  In other words, you cannot add the bookcase recipe to this world.  (Well, you might be able to using a savefile editor, but I cannot help with that.)

You can alter an existing reaction to produce a bookcase, and acquire them this way.  The same would have to be done for paper and quires/scrolls.

Alhrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 04:27:20 pm »

Thanks. I'll probably start over then.

But still, how do you manage to keep forts in the long term ? Start over at each version ? Or stay at the old version you started on ?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 06:08:45 pm »

My forts rarely last me more than a few months in the real world, even if they're fifty or a hundred years dwarftime. Yes, I reroll regularly, but I don't consider that a problem, more a chance to get it more right this time. I don't destroy my old fort though: They're all there in my backups, ready to be messed around with if I ever did need to. I've got the old versions of the game too, I just download a completely new vanilla copy when I update, adjust the init and d_init files to suit my needs, and keep the old one (it takes up so very little space!) in my folders. How long do most games take you to play? Do you just play the same fort for years? I would get bored, and the FPS would suck after that long.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!