Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: You Are A FRACTAL DUNGEON!  (Read 8912 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A FRACTAL DUNGEON!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 02:53:27 am »

C

No particular analysis this time, I just find people struggling with puzzle-locks hilarious.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 02:57:18 am »

B: They seem pretty stupid. Thus, if you throw in a moderately strong monster, they'll probably think it's a Dungeon Boss.  If they win, you can feast on their joy.  Or they lose, which is even better.
Plus, we can design the moderately strong monster!  It could be a-n-y-thing.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2022, 02:58:44 am »

B: They seem pretty stupid. Thus, if you throw in a moderately strong monster, they'll probably think it's a Dungeon Boss.  If they win, you can feast on their joy.  Or they lose, which is even better.
Plus, we can design the moderately strong monster!  It could be a-n-y-thing.
+1
Good point, to sell the trick, we need to make the monster shiny, with a lot of horns
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2022, 03:00:58 am »

Horny the Horned Demon?
(the jokes on them, its actually a porcupine!er, a LARGE porcupine!)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2022, 03:17:56 am »

C Puzzle!

Lets do a rotating hallway, where when they walk forward, it begins to spin, eventually turning around 180 degrees after a long walk, sending them back the way they came.  The solution is to leave something heavy where it starts, holding it in place.  It might split them up, and would work better with our simple, undecorated nature.. if someone ends up alone at the far side, they might never escape!

Plus spinners in nondescript hallways are absolute bastards to puzzle out.  They could be at it for hours!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2022, 03:19:52 am »

C Puzzle!

Lets do a rotating hallway, where when they walk forward, it begins to spin, eventually turning around 180 degrees after a long walk, sending them back the way they came.  The solution is to leave something heavy where it starts, holding it in place.  It might split them up, and would work better with our simple, undecorated nature.. if someone ends up alone at the far side, they might never escape!

Plus spinners in nondescript hallways are absolute bastards to puzzle out.  They could be at it for hours!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2022, 03:27:11 am »

Could also do the simple classical spinner.  They spin, they know they've spun, but they don't know which way they're facing now.  It'll cause a serious amount of dread for relatively little effort.

(It's easy to defeat these by spreading out a bit, so the spinner only hits the first person, and it's obvious to everyone else which way they need to go post-spin.  But if you're alone, or if you forget, it's horrifying.

Marking your path also works, but again, that's something you need to think about before you need it.)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 03:31:15 am by Devastator »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2022, 05:35:29 am »

C Puzzle!

+1
+1

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2022, 07:12:15 am »

A
Unlikely to win at this point, but my reasoning is that a horde of monsters will:

1. Drive them deeper into the dungeon, because if there are smaller monsters, it would stand to reason there would be something deeper worth protecting.

2. Make them fight, invest in the dungeon with blood, sweat, and maybe some tears. A puzzle could be solved easily by 2 mages. A boss monster might be tricky to handle, or blasted to pieces but either way they head home.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2022, 07:35:09 am »

Puzzle! Puzzles don’t necessarily need to be solely brain-oriented. Could end up with something like a portal platformer puzzle, or a (many games) type of thing where you gotta knock out this set of objects simultaneously.

Alternately it could be a simple pictographic that leads the reader to determine they must put blood into some goblet on a pedestal that magically flows blood through grooves in the floor that create a glowing runic symbol.

I want a blood puzzle. For blood.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2022, 08:35:28 am »

C

I think we’ll need to stock up on more mojo before the monster route becomes more effective
So we’ll be the BIG THINKIN’ dungeon for now
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2022, 11:49:05 am »

C

Only one door is correct. This message is lying.

Both doors are actually correct, but lead to different parts of the dungeon and close and disappear behind you.
You have to find your way back to the other door to get out. :>

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2022, 02:14:46 pm »

C, but something that will trick them into never getting out rather than sending them back the way they came. Maybe... a big wall with a riddle on it, which slowly turns to cut off the exit while they're all staring.
"My first is in riddle, but never in ride;
My second's in scowl, popcorn, and provide.
My third is in level, and also in lease;
My fourth is in gambol, logistic, and geese.
My fifth is in grumpy and in gannet too;
My sixth is in praline and hairpin and new.
My seventh's in porridge, potpourri, and below;
My eighth is in fearsome, in stare, and in crow.
My ninth is in elder, pretend, keep, and be;
You must gather these letters if you hope to get free."

Hopefully, the axe-wielder won't care about the puzzle and it will only trap the mages, allowing him to return home and gather a new party.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »

D Artifact give them something to brag about to bring more in.  They will get bored after not finding our core, give something for their trouble.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2022, 02:19:48 pm »

You Are A FRACTAL DUNGEON!

Nice. Didn't see this.

I feel kinda...honored? To have the guy who pioneered the genre make this in response to my amateur attempt, that's pretty cool. I'm not mad at all. Hope this lasts as long as I intend mine to. If this ends up causing mine to lose interest, that's just gunna be a funny story xD

Well done Nuke!

Cheers dungeon brother, Glad we can duke it out on the battlefield of forum games.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 02:50:02 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14