Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floating Fort?  (Read 3021 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Floating Fort?
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

Okay, well I noticed that it was possible to have floating floor pieces so long as they're attached to another floor piece. So I'm wondering if it would be possible, perhaps, to have the entire fortress in a tower(In my first Z-axis fort my army was all in one tower out front of my fort and that worked well)but take out the entire bottom floor so it'd be floating? I would imagine that would work if cave-ins were disabled.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Floating Fort?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

Yeah, if cave-ins were disabled, that would work.  Just like how magma doesn't burn stuff when you turn temperature off.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

I'm going to try it then, anyone have any ideas how to get supplies though? I figure water could be got with some pipes and a pump from the lake, and I could probably just dump refuse using some hatches and a lever, but getting more materials after I cut off access to the ground is much tougher...
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

Sorry, just realized I put this in the wrong category. Anyway I can move it?

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Miles:
<STRONG>I'm going to try it then, anyone have any ideas how to get supplies though? I figure water could be got with some pipes and a pump from the lake, and I could probably just dump refuse using some hatches and a lever, but getting more materials after I cut off access to the ground is much tougher...</STRONG>

That would be half the challenge. Bring up enough supplies to survive indefinetly! Perhaps have a ground support team and find some way to blast supplies upwards.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Just a note, I've now moved this to the fortress mode discussion part but I will be checking back here too.

That might work, but I'm trying to do it with no dwarves on the ground, having it completely self-sufficient. If this works, I'll be immune to attack by any non flyers, MAYBE goblin catapults would be a problem, but I'm not too concerned about that.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

Force immigrants to be your ground support crew. You too can rule a run-down dystopia from a floating obsidian doom tower! Extract taxes from peasents! If they can't pay, bring them up to have a 'special' audience... And throw them back down! Draft the rest of the population to attend the executions for added misery!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Haven:
<STRONG>Force immigrants to be your ground support crew. You too can rule a run-down dystopia from a floating obsidian doom tower! Extract taxes from peasents! If they can't pay, bring them up to have a 'special' audience... And throw them back down! Draft the rest of the population to attend the executions for added misery!</STRONG>

Funny you should mention that, I was kind of thinking something about that :P The "Special audience" part anyways, I figure I'll have this one part levitating on the side, put a retractable bridge over a gap, pull the lever Bub-bye dissidents! Or alternatively, a prison complex on its on floating island complete with Flooding chambers, pit falls, and occasionally tossing some food in and hoping they fight over it  ;)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

You might be able to get a drawbridge catapult set up to toss supplies into the fort, but I haven't been able to get too much accuracy with them when I tried.  Your mileage may vary.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

I tried that with a soldier, he didn't even go up one square on the Z-axis.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

Yeah, they don't go up, they only go across.  And even then, not by much.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 02:08:00 am »

Solutution for water and supplies:
code:

~~~~~~
######
#
#   ##################
#
########################

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

That would work

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

It's easy, make enough boose and food to last you a while, then wet some stone floor and make a farm. Micro-manage so you always have an equal plant to boose ratio that doesn't consume barrels. As for the Disatopian society outside, attempt to build a second working fort.

Onul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zironic:
<STRONG>It's easy, make enough boose and food to last you a while, then wet some stone floor and make a farm. Micro-manage so you always have an equal plant to boose ratio that doesn't consume barrels. As for the Disatopian society outside, create a lava fall and char them to less-than-cinders.</STRONG>

Fixed. =)
Pages: [1] 2