Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a list of the different "strings" used for instrument descriptions?  (Read 1566 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Basically, for generated instruments, the properties of the instrument (all its parts, and materials, and the way it's played and so on) are created, and from this the game generates a description detailing this all to the player.

But what I'm looking for is a list of all the different "strings" used to generate this description, and what causes them to be used. Like, somehow the game puts together "The musician plays the fifty-six strings with a wooden bow", from the fact that the object has the token `[SOUND_PRODUCTION:BOWED:PROD:STRING]`, but what I want is a list of all these different strings/relationships, so that for example, I know what `[PITCH_CHOICE:STOPPING_FRET:STRING:NECK]` would generate.

I want to know this so that I can make a hardcoded instrument that has a similarly detailed description as the generated instruments, and so that it actually matches with the tokens I've used. The only ones I don't need to know are the timbres, because from the example raws I've seen I'm pretty sure they're all just single words.

EDIT: I do know about the string dump: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:String_dump

But it's very unstructured, and while I can mostly tell which parts are related to instruments in general, in many cases I can't tell which token leads to which strings being used.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:33:11 am by Mr Crabman »