Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety  (Read 35518 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2022, 02:36:13 am »

"Well look at those guys they've got themselves a castle and everything."
Help move the boat towards the aliens.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2022, 03:42:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

help haul us to shore.  once there, get out of boat and look for loot, while following team. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2022, 04:14:16 pm »

I had a dream of playing a PW game like this, but the world was all jungle. Tried to remember which stat I'd invested in, turned out to be a skill specifically for using pets? Which turned out to be pretty useless because there weren't any pets available at the start. Classic PW.
Anyways, jungle pokemon game when.

"Apparently I'm a genius so now just diving into the Enigma doesn't seem like my best shot. I should clearly get a thinky job."

Pester the stellar brotherhood to hire me. Or at least let me put them on my resume.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)
[1]
After all the good work you've done for them, you figure you can talk the solar brotherhood into hiring you on full time. You give it your best shot at convincing them of this but come off pretty arrogant and disrespectful of not only their beliefs and mission but of the individuals involved. The phrase "If It wasn't for me you morons would have been cooked rotisserie style" gets thrown out at one point. Its not technically inaccurate, they totally would have been fried had it not been for your intervention, but its also not the best way to put it. They eventually ask you and Kander to leave, stating that they will be in touch if they need your help. The way they say it though, seems very unfriendly indeed.

You walk back outside. Its gotten somewhat dark now; early evening it seems. The town is still bustling but less so than before: everyone has made it home or to their bar of choice, the shops are winding down for the evening, and strings of LED bulbs are lighting up to illuminate the rough streets.

help haul us to shore.  once there, get out of boat and look for loot, while following team. 
"Well look at those guys they've got themselves a castle and everything."
Help move the boat towards the aliens.
"Half hour by slow bug," Gambatta points out.

"Anyway, doesn't this place keep surprising! First robolife, now natives! Or cannibal shipwrecks. Either way, bet the food'll be interesting!"

Help haul us to shore if someone shoots another filament line.

"we were at least a half hour away from the central island."
if the bipeds don't seem particularly aggressive, Jim will shoot out a filament line towards the shore.
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)
"Why'd you stop me?  I've got a line gun and would have made it, easy."

Talk to the figures, trying to learn who they are.

Spoiler: Maxwell (click to show/hide)
Jim waves to hopefully show a lack of killer intent and then fires a line onto one of the other docks. Together, the group drags the boat towards it while the bipeds move round to that other dock to meet them. They make no aggressive moves so the team continues towards them.  As they get closer the forms of the bipeds become more clearly visible. They are mechanical and it takes a moment to realize what they are. They are bullets.  More specifically they are shells; enormous shells sitting within a sort of metal frame. Attached to this frame are their stumpy arms and legs.   They have no faces, no distinguishing features other than perhaps their caliber, they are each as uniform and pristine as you'd expect from something like this. The shells are upside down from what you'd expect: the flat end of the casing is where their "head" would be while the actual projectile is down between their legs.   There are 6 of them here at the dock 2 of the same caliber while all the other 4 are different. The largest one is over 3 meters tall while the smallest is about a foot and a half.

The bullets help drag the ship up to the edge of the dock and begin speaking. Their language is a strange lilting thing almost poetic in the way it flows, as though it has a set meter that must be followed. Its made all the stranger by the fact that their voices are quite gruff and aggressive. Its not even clear where the voice is coming from, as there is no clear speaker anywhere. [2] Maxwell, apparently having recovered from his suicidal tendencies, attempts communication. He has no idea what the language they're speaking is, but he attempts hand gestures, charades, and the last ditch effort of shouting. None of these seem particularly effective.  The Bullets begin cycling through languages by the sound of it; making a variety of unknown noises with different structures and tones. [4][Max Knowledge leveled] Though he doesn't understand a word of what they're saying, Max does recognize one of the languages.  He's heard it spoken before on the surface, by the native snake people.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2022, 08:48:20 pm »

"hey, or uh, SSSSSSSSSS."
Jim will write down about the bulletmen in his log book,, then try to speak snake to them, a flawless plan with no weakness

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2022, 08:18:29 pm »

"Greetings, friends! You recognize the language I'm speaking right now? Pretty popular up on the surface, gyahahaha!"

Try to talk at them enough to recognize and switch to our language.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 09, 2022, 05:09:19 pm »

"Well, this is certainly new."

Try and think if I've ever picked bits up the snake language or one of the other languages they spoke somewhere. If so, try my best to translate for Ganbatta and co.

If not, just observe the interaction between Ganbatta and the bullet people and try figure out a way of communication from there.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2022, 12:06:51 am »

Look around for a way out in case everything goes badly.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:11:28 pm by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: DERP SPOOS: Spoos nighttimes and fren boolets
« Reply #262 on: May 11, 2022, 12:45:36 am »

((Huh.  I thought I posted an "Assist Xeriay" action.))

Go get a room to share with Xeriay, resting through the night.  Also buy Xeriay a good meal, splurge a bit to buy her something particularly excellent.  She did a great job today, the girl deserves a reward, and a good rest.  Make sure she knows her father is proud.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2022, 07:49:58 am »

Dammit.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2022, 08:36:45 am »

figure out language.  request bullet people to repeat whatever they just said.  translate for friendlies. 

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2022, 07:27:20 am »

"At least they seem friendly."
See if my hobo powers give me the ability to speak to the bulletmen.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:12 am »

Dammit.

((Huh.  I thought I posted an "Assist Xeriay" action.))

Go get a room to share with Xeriay, resting through the night.  Also buy Xeriay a good meal, splurge a bit to buy her something particularly excellent.  She did a great job today, the girl deserves a reward, and a good rest.  Make sure she knows her father is proud.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
Together Xeriay and Kander head back to the Pilot Light with the intention to get a nice meal and a relatively clean room. They wander through the bar over to one of the walls where a desk and receptionist have been installed. The receptionist is, like the bartender, a machine. This one looks like a young woman with a holo-projected face. That face isn't exactly human, sort of a overly cute version of a human with mildly exaggerated features and blindingly happy enthusiasm. She tells you that there are two kinds of rooms available: Temporary and Permanent. Temporary rooms cost 30 credits and are good for one night while Permanent rooms cost 1000 and are good for as long as you want to stay. Both kinds of rooms grant a "Well Rested" bonus upon spending the night in them.  Xeriay and Kander spend 60 for a temporary room.

The pair take a framework elevator up several floors and then follow signs until they find their rooms. The room itself is quite nice, compared to previous accommodations aboard the freighter.  No window, but there is a large view screen with an option for different camera angles of outside. There's a library of recorded movies and media as well, though nothing live other than a local broadcast. Apparently someone in town is running a studio of their own. Otherwise the room is 8 feet tall, ten wide, and 10 long, with the bed taking up most of the center space. Viewscreen is on the wall at the foot of the bed, dressers and storage to the right of the bed, doorway on the left. Shared facilities for cooking and other bodily necessities. There is a second identical room accessed via a connecting door and their 60 credits have paid for both.

Kander dumps his pack next to the bed and heads back downstairs. He wanders out and searches the area for a food vendor that looks particularly good. He eventually settles on something called "Rockshell Kabob", apparently a local dish using things harvested from the jungle to the south. Its a pleasant spread of cooked skewered meat, flat bread, and a salad of local plants along with something vaguely like ice cream but more glutenous. Kander pays 20 credits for a pair of these meals and carries them up to the conjoined rooms.  They eat while flipping through the view screen library.  The meat is the strangest part of the dish: under the roasted and herb colored exterior the meat is almost completely clear and has a consistency more like fruit than flesh. Tastes like shellfish though. The ice cream stuff is pleasantly cool after a day in the hot sun.

(Rules note: Permanent rooms allow characters to be "Stored" and new characters created.)

"hey, or uh, SSSSSSSSSS."
Jim will write down about the bulletmen in his log book,, then try to speak snake to them, a flawless plan with no weakness
[8] [Knowledge leveled]
"At least they seem friendly."
See if my hobo powers give me the ability to speak to the bulletmen.
[1]
"Well, this is certainly new."

Try and think if I've ever picked bits up the snake language or one of the other languages they spoke somewhere. If so, try my best to translate for Ganbatta and co.

If not, just observe the interaction between Ganbatta and the bullet people and try figure out a way of communication from there.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)
[1]
figure out language.  request bullet people to repeat whatever they just said.  translate for friendlies. 

[7]
Bob screams middle Galactic at the Bullet men, demanding that they speak "Like civilized people". Hlaine makes a lot of hissing noises and vocal fry that doesn't mean anything at all. 

Jim, in preparation for this expedition, researched the language of the local inhabitants of the planet. Though he was far from fluent in "Forked Tongue" -it might be impossible to actually become fluent without surgery- he knew enough simple phrases and basic vocabulary to hold a conversation. He speaks to the bullet men in a halting series of hisses and whistles, translating their responses as best he can. And though he's not actually familiar with the language, Anton quickly picks up a bit listening to the conversation between Jim and the bullet men. Though he can't detect exact meanings he can get the gist of an exchange.

"Greetings, friends! You recognize the language I'm speaking right now? Pretty popular up on the surface, gyahahaha!"

Try to talk at them enough to recognize and switch to our language.

Look around for a way out in case everything goes badly.

[1][6][max wis up]
Gambatta just starts jabbering away at the bullet men, talking very rapidly about nothing whatsoever. Its the sort of display that would be difficult to understand as a fluent speaker let alone as someone completely disconnected from the language. Max stands around silently, inspecting the area for a quick means of escape. The quickest means he sees actually involves running straight past these bullet men and onto the shore, then around towards the east or west. An on foot sprint would be quicker and have more maneuverability than a slow dragging retreat in the boat.

Through Jim's efforts a fragile line of communication seems to be established. Jim's translations are full of holes and best guesses based on context, but a general understanding can be derived none the less. The bullet men, who appear to have gained an immediately negative opinion of this gaggle of jabbering bipeds, are proud warriors. They have constructed a fortress worthy of their stature and are holding a festival in honor of their brothers who have died in glorious battle. They too wish to die in glorious battle for the good of their creators, but they have been denied this opportunity. They are currently considering a method of getting this chance at glory but have so far been unable to agree on anything. This discussion has been on going for...Jim isn't sure but it sounds like a very long time.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2022, 02:25:14 am »

"I'll try to relay any questions you guys have, within reason."
Jim will introduce the party as explorers, and ask if they may view the festival. Then he'll relay any reasonable questions the team has.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:34:14 am by m1895 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2022, 05:00:01 am »

"I can't think of anything."
Start looking around the shore line to see if anything interesting has washed up.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2022, 01:18:48 pm »

"Would they be interested in trading weapons?"  Max says, while hefting his death ray around.

"This is great, but we can just buy them.  I'd love to trade it for something special."

Move onto the ground, since it's closer to the escape route.  Through Jim, try to negotiate a weapons trade offering my Death Ray.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23